“Tranquil Getaway” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Twiga Hill Lodge

Twiga Hill Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Twiga Hill Lodge
You added Twiga Hill Lodge to your Saves list
No 40, Chui Lane (off Koitobos Road), Hardy Estate, Langata | P.O Box 15233 - 00509, Nairobi 00509, Kenya   |
Ranked #15 of 107 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
Mombasa, Kenya
“Tranquil Getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

We stayed 4 nights at this location travelling with my partner and toddler son. The property is located in the posh Karen Hardy estate - a very quite residential area of Nairobi. The name is a bit misleading, it is not a lodge but more a B&B on a large residential property where extra building/rooms have been built to rent out. The owners are an elderly couple who stay on the property and are very helpful. We asked for use of a baby cot during our stay and the they went out of their way to get the right size for our son.

The property has 2 or 3 buildings with rooms which are let out. The building we stayed in has 4 rooms which are self contained and share a kitchen, lounge and little garden with outside seating. The building and rooms are modern and clean. Our bed and bathroom were very nice, no tub though only a shower. There is a central dinning area in the middle of the row of buildings which used for dinning and the bar. The property has a large side garden which one can use to host parties or events.

The rates were affordable for Nairobi as accommodation can be very expensive here. For some reason which I can not fathom this property had no other guests staying on 3 of our 4 nights. The first night there was one other couple who we only saw at dinner. This meant that the bar and restaurant were not really functioning. The cook Bernard was helpful and informed us he could cook any dish we wanted. However being the only guests we felt we were imposing on them. The upside side of having no other guests was that we had free use of the kitchen, lounge and garden areas of our building. The whole area is very very quiet at night.

The large garden was good for our son who could run around and the property is walking distance to the Giraffe centre - you can actually walk in this neighbourhood of Nairobi and it was quite nice walking around the Hardy estate. Lots & lots of Daktari (Witchdoctor?) notices hanging around offering cures for lost lovers and libdos. I wonder if these stressful times are affecting even the upmarket residents of Karen.

Overall we had a wonderful stay, the owners were very welcoming, & the property very pleasant.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
South Pole
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

I stayed here for a total of 4 days at the beginning and end of my safari. The rooms here are quiet, spotless, and charming. I was stunned when I saw how much room the place had and how nice the bathroom was (a tub!!). It actually felt like a home with a sitting room and dining area, rather than just a regular hotel room.

The hosts are caring and I felt like they took care of me like family would. Also, the price of the place is much lower than most Nairobi locations and I feel like you get much, much more value. The only drawback to the place is that it is a bit far from downtown. But, it is very close to all the great sights in Karen (Giraffe Center, Orphanage, Karen Blixen House), so that is a nice trade off.

I would highly recommend this place!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Sutton Coldfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

We did not stay here but only spent an afternoon between journeys. However the situation is beautiful, as in a country park with NO traffic noise. Gardens round the hotel with seats and tables in the shade, and very reasonably priced. Also quite convenient to the airport. The rooms are well decorated with nice bathrooms and a good size. The elephant orphanage and giraffe sanctuary are just down the road.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

The location is ideal (in Karen, right next to the Giraffe centre). The neighbourhood is serene and extremely picturesque, and the house itself is even better. No other place I've stayed in Nairobi (and I've stayed in many) feels more like home than Twiga Hill Lodge. The owners live on the compound, and are great company. Their staff (the cook Thomas, and Gideon) are extremely able and very friendly.
We stayed there for two nights last month, and had a lovely experience. Even though we were a big group of more than ten people, there wasn't a single glitch. The food was fantastic, the gardens are sprawling and exquisite, the whole atmosphere is so tranquil and homely. And the best part is that at least half the price of any decent hotel room in Nairobi. I'd go there every time I'm in Nairobi, and I'd highly recommend it to everybody. Best value for your money!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
maryland, usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Our family group of 8 spent a scant 9 hours at Twiga Hill Lodge in early July, 2013. Although almost any horizontal surface would have been welcome after the grueling trip from the US, Twiga Hill was exceptionally appropriate for quick overnight restoration. It was quiet, clean, comfortable and attractive. Preferable in every respect to a large standard hotel.
The staff was exceptionally accommodating. One of our group arrived 12 hours earlier than the rest of us - he was welcomed and given one of the reserved rooms at no extra charge. When the rest of us arrived near 11P, we were greeted warmly and enthusiastically.
The next morning we enjoyed an excellent breakfast before leaving for our safari. If I were to go back to Nairobi for any reason I would choose Twiga Hill again - and I know all my family members would also.
I should add that our stay was far less expensive than the alternatives we considered.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

Twiga Hill Lodge is a recently opened boutique hotel in the Karen section of Nairobi. I have had the pleasure of staying here on two occasions for work, one stay nearly 2 weeks and another a week. First, it is important to know there is very little choice of decent hotels in Karen and Twiga Hill Lodge (THL) really is a good addition to the market. The owners of THL live on the property. They have hired outstanding staff led by managers Stella and John. Also, they have great support staff in Miloi, who has gone out of his way to make my stays pleasurable. Rounding out the staff is an amazing chief, Marco. Marco’s cooking is some of the best I have had in Kenya. THL is very fortunate to have him. This should also help with Westerners who may be afraid of eating in Africa. That is not a concern at THL. For the business traveler, THL has some of the fastest internet I have had in East Africa. Also, it is super quiet, save occasional birds singing and a few dogs barking. Lastly, the area where THL is located makes for great runs. The area is safe and as a female traveling alone, I had no worries about running in the area. This made for a very pleasurable way to spend an evening after work. I look forward to staying at THL on more business trips. And, I highly recommend THL to individuals or groups traveling through Nairobi.

Room Tip: They also have handicap accessible rooms.