“Awesome place to stay. Atmosphere is jovial and comforting!”
I just read the review where someone slammed the location. I can't believe that someone would attempt to give SouthHood a bad review. I read all HIS other reviews and EVERY single one of them is bad. He is the pure definition of 'negative'! HE should be called 'Mr. Negative' because not one of his 8 reviews is positive
The guy who wrote the bad review of SouthHood actually has Biltmore Estate in Phoenix as a dump, a place I stayed for the World HQ McGraw-Hill Corporate meetings. HE GAVE a AAA 5-STAR DIAMOND RESORT.... 2 out of 5!! LOL. WOW! He called it a motel! Is this guy actually Donald Trump?
Here is the truth about staying at SouthHood.:
1) The place is very similar to some older B&Bs up in New England (in terms of a one hosue layout). The house has shared kitchen and living room priveledges, with bedrooms located upstairs. The 'smells of food' that were described in the previous review are typical smells of people cooking. I have always awoken to breakfast smells in the house I was raised, so the 'morning smells' of people cooking are very welcoming smells. If you get offended from kitchen smells of cooking, then stay in a motel, not a B&B!
2) The management is awesome and incredily helpful. Gladys asked me at least twice a day, if everything was OK. I requested a refrigerator for my room, it was there when I arrived. I was concerned about hot water, that was promised and it was HOT!!! The times when I was sitting in the kitchen, dining room or living room were spent being left alone. NO INTERRUPTIONS! I was impressed how well everybody stayed out of your hair until you were ready to have conversation.
3) The negative review that was posted contained a comment about cab fares and the area's safety. The area is known by every cab driver I used. Not once did I have to explain where it was. I mentioned the estate's name and I was dropped off or picked up easily on every mention. The neighborhood is a typical residential Kenyan area. If you are looking for the richey-rich white-skinned areas that look like Martha's Vineyard....go to Karen. You will do fine there! If you want to try to find the Beverly Hills of Kenya, this isn't it. This is a family-based estate with locals and ex-pats.
If you want a realistic look at a typical Nairobi neighborhood, this is the place to stay. You have to do some adjustments in your mental thought process if you are from suburbia America. Overall, the place is filled with families and small business operators who will want to do business with you. I never felt unsafe once. I stopped taking cabs and used the matatus. The cabs to the mall cost 300Ksh and the matatus all head to the mall for 10Ksh. DO THE MATH! The savings of 600Ksh adds up over a week.
There is also a few stores withing the complex and you can easily walk 100 feet and get fresh fruit or a cold Coca-Cola. If you want the paved golden roads that it sounds like 'Mr. Negative' wanted when he arrived, you are in the wrong place. The roads are dusty and typical of Kenya. Maybe 'Mr. Negative' was upset at SouthHood because nobody met him daily to shine his shoes or give him a back massage. But then again.....Biltmore Estate IS a 2 out of 5. Frank Llyod Wright would be rolling in his grave if he read that review.
STAY AT SOUTHHOOD IF:
* You like the general atmosphere of Bed & Breakfasts. That means you need to be sociable and enjoy getting culture from the source and the people of who you are surrounded.
* You are sick of paying ridiculous $150-200 a night in Nairobi for small cramped rooms.
* You want to get advice about places and things from the people hwo have been living with them for years.
* You want a safe and clean environment where you will feel welcomed. This a place where relationships for return visits are made.
DON'T STAY AT SOUTHHOOD IF:
* You are used to staying at resorts where everything is based off brandname linens and foods that you eat that have fancy names and ridiculous gourmet presentations.
* You want to surround yourself with people that are NOT from the area you are visiting. The people who live here are native Kenyans and live as the natives live. As I am cooking pasta at night, they are cooking something that smells foriegn to me, but I'm jealous as to how it tastes.My chef skills look like that of a kindergartener when I see how proudly they can cook traditional dinners. Sorry that 'Mr. Negative' had to smell native foods and not caviar and smoked salmon.
* You want to be next to a Walmart, Kinkos, Macy's or a 5 star restaurant. You can pay 10Ksh like i did....a painful whole 10 cents USD....and head to the Mall. Don't be scared! The matatu heads in the same direction as the one before and the one after. Go there and you will find your Walmart, Kinko's, no Macy's (sorry) and your 5 star will be Java House (sorry) and a gelato ice cream stand. If you want Macy's and a lobster dinner nightly, stay away! '
It's obvious...Mr. Negative should stay away. I don't think SouthHood has lobster and shoe-shining services for him.
Someone who stays at the Biltmore Estate and pays $400 a night then complains about a $20 cab ride....might have some priorities that need to be adjusted. If a $20 cab ride from the airport was too high, common sense says to shop for a cab driver who is cheaper. But if you are scared and sheltered, or busy typing reviews that are unfounded, you wouldn't have the time to communicate and negotiate. There are some drivers locally who will try at $10, so ask around.
THANK YOU FOR AN INCREDIBLE ONE WEEK STAY WITH MY NEW KENYAN FIANCEE!! I WILL BE BACK IN FEBRUARY, APRIL AND JULY!!!! I WANT MY SAME ROOM AND FRIDGE :)
Thank you to Gladys for making my stay a warm, hospitable event. I enjoyed the conversations. I loved the ability yo make my boring American food. I especially loved the ability to have public transportation at my doorstep. SouthHood saved me $500 a week from my previous location. I now will be saving $1000USD every visit to Kenya. Thanks for the wonderful experience.
I will be bringing my teenagers with me on my next visit only because I feel I have found a safe and home-like environment that they will enjoy. I truly can't wait!!
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
January 31, 2013
Hello and a very Happy New Year.
Report response as inappropriate
We the management of the Southhood Guest Villa extend our sincere gratitude to you for taking time to respond and also write a very elaborate review.
THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH.
We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay at our facility with your fiancee'. We look forward to offering you and all our very valued guests great service and comfort whenever you stay with us. Here at the Southhood Guest Villa, we endevour to serve all our guests in a very unique way that serves their best interest so as to make them feel at home and as comfortable as they possibly can.
We cant wait to see you and your finacee' this year- please feel very very welcome.
We look to surpass guest expectations to the best of our abilities.
Again, Thank you very much.
Manager, Southood Guest Villa
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.