“Over rated” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Southhood Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Southhood Guest House
Balozi Lane 54, Nairobi 254, Kenya   |
Ranked #21 of 154 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Jersey
“Over rated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I was very disappointed with South hood guest house, which we chose on the basis of the very positive reviews on Trip Adviser. I can't believe that it is ranked so highly - at the time of booking it was number 4 out of over 100 in Nairobi. If this is number 4 I dread to think what the rest are like!

Despite what other reviewers have said, it is located in a poor area that is not pleasant at all.

Our room was very small with a window that looked into an inner court yard. The bed was uncomfortable with a hollow in middle - just as well my husband and I like being close as we rolled into each other all night. The furnishings are shabby and I did not like the feel of the place at all.

The owner Gladys was attentive, however her helpfulness verged on being over controlling to the extent of telling us where and when we were to be picked up by the taxi driver for our return from a trip into the city - she did not want us to negotiate this ourselves with the driver - which was a bit irritating to say the least.

We had an early flight the following morning and breakfast consisted of toast and margarine - we had to ask for some jam, and hot water mixed with milk to make tea - it was pretty disgusting really.

All in all I think this place is very over rated as a guest house, it's ok as backpacker type accommodation and fine possibly for an overnight stay as it is close to the airport, but I would not chose to stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
SOUTHHOOD G, Owner at Southhood Guest House, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Hi and thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor.
We appreciate your taking the time to tell us of your honest experience while staying with us.

We note that the room allocated to you was small. This is largely attributed to the space taken by the bed and the storage area available (closet). We apologize that for this reason, the remaining space was smaller than you would have expected.

The room allocated to you overlooks a balcony (not an empty space) where guests sit out and relax. Recently, the management has added seats out there for our guests who wish to spend time at that balcony. However, we apologize that indeed you felt enclosed in a room that opened out to an empty space.

The management were alerted to the discomfort you experienced with the mattress, after you had brought it to the attention of the resident manager, Gladys. This has been addressed, we have replaced that mattress with a brand new one.

While its the nature of our staff to offer friendly, yet protective advise to our guests, we apologize that you found our resident manager a bit controlling to the service providers (read taxi-cab). This is purely for the safety of our guests as we realize that this might be a first visit to our city. However, we apologize for that and request your understanding.

We have also noted that our breakfast was not per your expectations. Our chef has revised our offerings to include a variety of spreads, fruits and cereals.

Once again, thank you very much for your review. We highly appreciate your feedback.

Owner, Southood Guest Villa.

22 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed here when a flight delay meant that I had to spend 24 hours in Nairobi. Gladys, who manages the place, was quick to respond and able to book me and my friends rooms at very short notice. She was also great at organising us a taxi to and from the airport. We were supposed to turn up in the middle of the night, and this was fine. In the end we actually turned up in the early hours of the morning, but this wasn't a problem either. We were also allowed a late check out to suit our flight time.

This place was great because of the flexibility and accommodation of weary travelers with constantly changing plans! The rooms were clean and comfortable, and it is near the airport if you don't fancy sitting in Nairobi traffic! If I get stuck in Nairobi again I would definitely stop here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Southhood Villa S, Manager at Southhood Guest House, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Hello Jen,

Happy New Year and thanks very much for you taking time to review our facility.
We appreciate it.
It is our pleasure to have been of great service to you and your team and to make you feel comfortable after traveling amidst changing schedules. Its is indeed our great pleasure to be of great service to the weary traveler who is in need of a place to rest and in the shortest time possible.

Once again, we thank you Jen and hope to be your your host the next time you are in Nairobi.

Thanks and all the best now.

Manager, The Southhood Guest Villa.
Port Orange
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I just read the review where someone slammed the location. I can't believe that someone would attempt to give SouthHood a bad review. I read all HIS other reviews and EVERY single one of them is bad. He is the pure definition of 'negative'! HE should be called 'Mr. Negative' because not one of his 8 reviews is positive

The guy who wrote the bad review of SouthHood actually has Biltmore Estate in Phoenix as a dump, a place I stayed for the World HQ McGraw-Hill Corporate meetings. HE GAVE a AAA 5-STAR DIAMOND RESORT.... 2 out of 5!! LOL. WOW! He called it a motel! Is this guy actually Donald Trump?

Here is the truth about staying at SouthHood.:

1) The place is very similar to some older B&Bs up in New England (in terms of a one hosue layout). The house has shared kitchen and living room priveledges, with bedrooms located upstairs. The 'smells of food' that were described in the previous review are typical smells of people cooking. I have always awoken to breakfast smells in the house I was raised, so the 'morning smells' of people cooking are very welcoming smells. If you get offended from kitchen smells of cooking, then stay in a motel, not a B&B!

2) The management is awesome and incredily helpful. Gladys asked me at least twice a day, if everything was OK. I requested a refrigerator for my room, it was there when I arrived. I was concerned about hot water, that was promised and it was HOT!!! The times when I was sitting in the kitchen, dining room or living room were spent being left alone. NO INTERRUPTIONS! I was impressed how well everybody stayed out of your hair until you were ready to have conversation.

3) The negative review that was posted contained a comment about cab fares and the area's safety. The area is known by every cab driver I used. Not once did I have to explain where it was. I mentioned the estate's name and I was dropped off or picked up easily on every mention. The neighborhood is a typical residential Kenyan area. If you are looking for the richey-rich white-skinned areas that look like Martha's Vineyard....go to Karen. You will do fine there! If you want to try to find the Beverly Hills of Kenya, this isn't it. This is a family-based estate with locals and ex-pats.

If you want a realistic look at a typical Nairobi neighborhood, this is the place to stay. You have to do some adjustments in your mental thought process if you are from suburbia America. Overall, the place is filled with families and small business operators who will want to do business with you. I never felt unsafe once. I stopped taking cabs and used the matatus. The cabs to the mall cost 300Ksh and the matatus all head to the mall for 10Ksh. DO THE MATH! The savings of 600Ksh adds up over a week.

There is also a few stores withing the complex and you can easily walk 100 feet and get fresh fruit or a cold Coca-Cola. If you want the paved golden roads that it sounds like 'Mr. Negative' wanted when he arrived, you are in the wrong place. The roads are dusty and typical of Kenya. Maybe 'Mr. Negative' was upset at SouthHood because nobody met him daily to shine his shoes or give him a back massage. But then again.....Biltmore Estate IS a 2 out of 5. Frank Llyod Wright would be rolling in his grave if he read that review.

STAY AT SOUTHHOOD IF:
* You like the general atmosphere of Bed & Breakfasts. That means you need to be sociable and enjoy getting culture from the source and the people of who you are surrounded.
* You are sick of paying ridiculous $150-200 a night in Nairobi for small cramped rooms.
* You want to get advice about places and things from the people hwo have been living with them for years.
* You want a safe and clean environment where you will feel welcomed. This a place where relationships for return visits are made.

DON'T STAY AT SOUTHHOOD IF:
* You are used to staying at resorts where everything is based off brandname linens and foods that you eat that have fancy names and ridiculous gourmet presentations.
* You want to surround yourself with people that are NOT from the area you are visiting. The people who live here are native Kenyans and live as the natives live. As I am cooking pasta at night, they are cooking something that smells foriegn to me, but I'm jealous as to how it tastes.My chef skills look like that of a kindergartener when I see how proudly they can cook traditional dinners. Sorry that 'Mr. Negative' had to smell native foods and not caviar and smoked salmon.
* You want to be next to a Walmart, Kinkos, Macy's or a 5 star restaurant. You can pay 10Ksh like i did....a painful whole 10 cents USD....and head to the Mall. Don't be scared! The matatu heads in the same direction as the one before and the one after. Go there and you will find your Walmart, Kinko's, no Macy's (sorry) and your 5 star will be Java House (sorry) and a gelato ice cream stand. If you want Macy's and a lobster dinner nightly, stay away! '

It's obvious...Mr. Negative should stay away. I don't think SouthHood has lobster and shoe-shining services for him.

Someone who stays at the Biltmore Estate and pays $400 a night then complains about a $20 cab ride....might have some priorities that need to be adjusted. If a $20 cab ride from the airport was too high, common sense says to shop for a cab driver who is cheaper. But if you are scared and sheltered, or busy typing reviews that are unfounded, you wouldn't have the time to communicate and negotiate. There are some drivers locally who will try at $10, so ask around.

THANK YOU FOR AN INCREDIBLE ONE WEEK STAY WITH MY NEW KENYAN FIANCEE!! I WILL BE BACK IN FEBRUARY, APRIL AND JULY!!!! I WANT MY SAME ROOM AND FRIDGE :)

Thank you to Gladys for making my stay a warm, hospitable event. I enjoyed the conversations. I loved the ability yo make my boring American food. I especially loved the ability to have public transportation at my doorstep. SouthHood saved me $500 a week from my previous location. I now will be saving $1000USD every visit to Kenya. Thanks for the wonderful experience.

I will be bringing my teenagers with me on my next visit only because I feel I have found a safe and home-like environment that they will enjoy. I truly can't wait!!

Thanks again

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello and a very Happy New Year.
We the management of the Southhood Guest Villa extend our sincere gratitude to you for taking time to respond and also write a very elaborate review.

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH.

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay at our facility with your fiancee'. We look forward to offering you and all our very valued guests great service and comfort whenever you stay with us. Here at the Southhood Guest Villa, we endevour to serve all our guests in a very unique way that serves their best interest so as to make them feel at home and as comfortable as they possibly can.

We cant wait to see you and your finacee' this year- please feel very very welcome.

We look to surpass guest expectations to the best of our abilities.

Again, Thank you very much.

Manager, Southood Guest Villa
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We paid $130 for an overnight, including the airport transfers. Not a good value at all. This is a bedroom in a smelly (from cooking) old house, located in a fairly scary looking slum. We did not feel very safe (not that we are particularly risk averse - we have walked around stonetown, kampala, arusha, johannesburg etc). The room was roomy, but very old, hot and full of mosquitoes. Bathroom was ancient as well, with a precariously rigged up shower heater. Breakfast was basic to say the least...

The owner charges $40 for the roundtrip drive from the airport (about 10 mins each way) - outrageous! For the same price, we got an airport taxi to Kampala - a drive of nearly 2 hours (and gas is even more expensive in Uganada). She pays about half as much to the taxi driver. And to top it all, the driver was late picking us up at the airport - leaving us to try to scramble for alternatives (note - nobody will know where this place is).

For the money, would strongly recommend staying elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Southhood Villa S, Owner at Southhood Guest House, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Dear BigDiveNut,
Thank you very much for your review. We appreciate it.
We at the Southhood Guest Villa take our guests very seriously are always looking to improve our services to make our guests feel as comfortable as they possibly can.
However, please allow us to say that we doubt that this review is meant for The Southhood Guest Villa. First, we have not hosted any couple from Dubai in the month of December. Secondly, we feel that this review is a misrepresentation of our facility. The Southhood Guest Villa is a modern facility located in a serene middle class neighborhood that is home to big names like Ole Sereni, The Boma, Eka Hotel. We are located behind Airtel building, one of the major Telecom operators in Kenya. We are a stone throw away from the busy Mombasa road and next to a modern Winners Chapel church that sits 30,000 people. Hence we are not located in a slum. The neighborhood is secure, never had a security incident. Our rooms are modern with modern bathrooms by all standards. While we understand that we have mosquitoes in Nairobi, we have provided mosquito nets in all our rooms and we provide mosquito repellants on request.
We outsource our transport directly from the airport and they charge $20 per trip. We endeavor to offer exemplary service to our guests and punctuality is our number one priority. Our website and what is featured is a total true representation of our facility.
The management at The Southhood Guest Villa wishes to assure BigDiveNut and all our valued guests that we are looking into the issues he has raised and will address them immediately- if indeed this review was meant for The Southhood Guest Villa.
Again we thank you very much for you review and hope you consider giving us a second chance.
Owner, Southhood Guest Villa
Addis Ababa, Addis Abeba, Ethiopia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Location fo Southhood close to the airport and being affordable makes it an ideal place for catching early flights. The calmness and silence makes it wow! gives peace of mind as you take your rest and of course more importantly the professional and hospital services of Gladys makes the stay memorable. Plus customized meals of your choice. I will for sure in the near future stay again in Southhood

Room Tip: Just make your request to Gladys, she will give you the best
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hi Collins and thank you very much for taking the time to post a review. We appreciate it very much. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and had time to rest uninterruptedly. THANK YOU.

We look forward to hosting you again when you are in Nairobi. As always, we endevour to offer our guests the best services and comfort that we can possibly offer.

Regards.
amsterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Comfortable and warm thanks to Gladys the all-accommodating host. Affordable and convenient 10-20 minute ride from airport. Slightly bumpy road of 200 meters before arriving at a secure enclave of residential homes, this is ideal for the short time visitor with business east of the city or an overnight layover for flights. Stay here. It is great way to support the local economy.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Southhood Villa S, Manager at Southhood Guest House, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Hi Roland,
Thank you very much for taking time to post a review on this all-important forum.
We are very thankful.
On behalf of the staff and the entire management at The Southhood Guest Villa, I wish to take this opportunity to thank you and the team for choosing to stay with us. It was indeed a great pleasure to have you around.

The Management of this facility are working with members of this gated community to improve on the bumpy stretch of road and are making good progress at that. Hence this stretch will be a thing of the past.

Thanks much for noting that.

We look forward to being your preferred host at anyone time you are in Nairobi.

Again, Thank You.

Gladys
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

Admittedly one could wonder where you are heading to as you approach Balozi Estate within which Southood is located. But once you get into the guest lodge which is within close reach to the airport, you experience total bliss.

I always prefer staying in a homely environment when I travel and that's exactly what I found at Southood. The reception was warm and so was the food and the extremely clean rooms. There was no electrity around the community during the day but Gladys made attempts to ensure that I do not feel it.

• Stayed November 2012
Hello David,
I wish to take this opportunity on behalf of myself, the staff and management at the Southhood Guest Villa first for choosing to stay with us and second for your review on this forum.
We are delighted that you loved and enjoyed your stay with us- You are most welcome.
David, we look forward to being your host again and again.

Our commitment here at The Southhood Guest Villa is to continually improve and surpass our guest expectations.

Again, thank you very much.

Gladys

Been to Southhood Guest House? Share your experiences!