“Stay at EKA Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 132 Hotels in Nairobi
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Stay at EKA Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

In June 2014 I travelled for the first time to Nairobi and stayed at the Ole Sereni. On my 2nd trip to Nairobi in August 2014 I opted to stay at the EKA Hotel in Nairobi. The EKA Hotel and the Ole Sereni are situated close to one another. The hotel is situated halfway between the airport and Nairobi City Centre. Traffic is crazy in Nairobi so the EKA Hotel is well located. There is a spur restaurant on site at the hotel. The EKA Hotel is a fairly new hotel so the furnishing and rooms are modern which I like. Had a good shower and toilet and shower are separate from each other. The staff in general are very friendly. There is complimentary wifi throughout the hotel which is a great plus. When I checked I got a small room that window faced the conference room so absolutely no privacy. I complained was told that there were no other rooms but after about an hour the Manager assisted me and I got a lovely spacious pool facing room. The negatives are: no conditioner on offer, only shampoo and body wash. No disposable razors. My last night at the hotel I had no sleep due to mosquitoes even though I had mosquito spray on and throughout my duration of my stay never opened my bedroom window. I think when they clean your room they leave door open and mosquitoes entered. The EKA Hotel is more pricey than the Ole Sereni. The EKA Hotel's breakfast was basic and not worth the price I paid as my room rate did not include breakfast.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
EkaHotel, Manager at Eka Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, September 18, 2014
Dear Fuzlin,

Thank you for taking time to give feedback about your recent stay at Eka Hotel. We appreciate the feedback as it helps us improve service offering to all our guests.

We have noted and your comments and shared with our Executive Housekeeper for action to ensure your next stay, and that of all other guests is memorable.

Thank you and we hope to see you soon.

Warm regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Polish first
Colombo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Conveniently located about 15 min drive to/from the airport . A modern hotel with good facilities and clean rooms . The dinner and breakfast was a bit disapointing and lacks choice .
Sleep quality is very good with speedy wi fi services .
Overall I thought it was a bit pricey.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Dear Nigel R,

Thank you for taking time to post your review about your recent stay at Eka Hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

My sons and I stayed here three times as a part of a 13-day Go-Ahead / Vintage Africa tour package.

Very modern hotel. Excellent security. Convenient to the airport. Great rooms. Friendly staff. Good food. Outstanding WiFi.

Unfortunately, the beds are very hard and the environment very noisy. Heavy fire-resistant doors slam shut with a thud that can be heard from one end of the hall to the other at all hours of the night. Chairs screeching on the faux hardwood floors also a major deterrent to sleep.

Room Tip: Make sure you get an inside room or street noises will exacerbate the noise problem.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback.

I have shared your feedback with our team to look into the concerns and put corrective measures to ensure your next stay is great and memorable.

We look forward to hosting you again.

Kind regards.
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

Stayed here one night before heading out on safari. Very fancy hotel located on the side of the highway and beside a concerted construction site. It was a pretty standard hotel with a restaurant, bar and pool, but too far to just go for a walk or to go shopping. Taxis are expensive to just tour around and if if you just want to walk, or browse or buy a snack etc, there is no where to go. The room was very modern and clean and the hot water plentiful. I requested a wake up call for the morning which I didn't get, and woke up with 5 minutes to get ready to leave for my flight. When I called the front desk to prepare me something to take with me (breakfast is included in room price), I was told I was welcome to come down and do it myself! What started as attentive service when I arrived quickly dissolved as I scrambled to make my flight. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Dear Lisa,

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback.

Our sincere apologies on the inconveniences caused during your stay. Eka Hotel surely does not stand for it and we will make every possible effort to fix it.

Please do consider our services in future as I assure you of superior service levels.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind regards.
mcshortie
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Stayed at EKA overnight waiting for the rest of my travel group to arrive. As a single female traveler with no experience traveling on the African continent, I wanted to find a comfortable hotel that was relatively close to the Nairobi airport and would be easy for a newbie traveler to get to and feel safe. I had arranged for hotel to pick me up from the airport and was greeted by a smiling hotel representative at the outside pick up aisle despite my overly delayed arrival time. EKA was a short drive from the airport (approximately 15 minutes late at night) and I was pleased to find that the hotel was gated and that security checked the driver's paperwork before allowing us entry into the parking lot (this, even though we were driving a marked EKA hotel vehicle). The interior was designed with a modern, boutique feel, and the room was nicely appointed and clean. The only complaint was that the power cut off a few times during the evening, with some outages lasting more than 10 minutes. I'm not sure if this is a EKA hotel issue or a Nairobi locality issue, but it was disconcerting to find myself showering in the pitch black. The breakfast buffet was also very good with a nice variety of foodstuffs for those of us with dietary restrictions. Overall, I was well pleased and would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a comfortable stay close to the airport.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
EkaHotel, Manager at Eka Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Dear Mcshortie,

We are delighted that you gave us an opportunity to host you.

Thank you for sharing your experience online and apologize for the inconvenience caused by the power outage which has been addressed. We appreciate the compliments and look forward to being of service again.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Good modern hotel located on the Nairobi-Mombasa highway in Nairobi City. Good rooms with modern amenities. Very nice restaurant with a great breakfast buffet spread. Convenient located only 15 mins from the airport.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Debdutta,

We highly appreciate your choice to stay at Eka Hotel and wish for another opportunity to be of service to you and family/friends.

With best regards
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at EKA overnight before flight to the Maasai Mara. It's an airport hotel, basically it's ok but obviously nothing special. Location is close to both the main n the safari airports but appalling traffic means the transfer still takes up to an hour in morning rush hour. The walls and ceilings are paper thin and you hear constant noise if u stay on the LG floor. We kept hearing what sounded like pins dropping on the floor of the room above us. Followed by every now n again a loud crash waking us up. We were probably below the kitchen. No noise really from adjacent guest rooms but a constant racket in the corridor. If u have earplugs it will be ok.

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Tony,

Thank you for choosing Eka Hotel and we are glad to have your feedback as this helps us improve our services to make your next stay more comfortable.

We look forward to hosting you next time you are in Nairobi.

With warm regards