“one night stopover” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 106 Hotels in Nairobi
Doha, Ad Dawhah, Qatar
“one night stopover”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

we stayed for one night in nairobi before going on a safari to masai mara. the place has a good location between the airports (jkia and wilson). our room is modern and clean. fast and complementary wifi connection is a plus. staff were friendly too.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
EkaHotel, Manager at Eka Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear Zchizzerz,
Many thanks for your review and its nice to know you had a fruitful stay at Eka hotel, We appreciate your outline of Eka and hope that you will give us another opportunity of service to you and your friends in the near future.

With best regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I first tried this hotel when my company wanted a combined meeting and room package and it was about to open, usually we used the direct neighbouring hotel but were tired of too many issues.

The conference was a success and since then (two weeks after opening) Eka has been our default hotel in Nairobi. Location is of course excellent, being near to the airport when so many flights are early morning or late evening, we have a lot of one-night stop overs too as well as longer stays for local business.

What attracted me initially was the friendliness and openness of the staff from the gate security to the desk and room staff, smiles and greetings all the way. Two and a half years on and probably more than 100 nights here it is still excellent, great value, great service, always welcomed by name.

Highly recommended and for me best hotel in Nairobi (even compared to Intercon, and other "5*) at double the rates, very good rooms, quiet and easy to work in as well as relax.

Two notes: Rooms near the fire doors to each wing noisy due to doors slamming closed and breakfast attention to detail can be improved (always asking for knife, napkin, etc) .

Don't look elsewhere.

Room Tip: the suites are near the fire doors, not best location due to slamming all night, inner rooms or thos...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear John,
Many thanks for your email and nice to know you had a fruitful stay at Eka hotel. We appreciate your outline of Eka and hope that you will give us another opportunity of service to you and your friends in the near future.

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We were very impressed with the hotel's rooms, breakfast buffet and amenities like the lovely pool, exercise room and wi-fi connections. After 18 hours in planes from Denver, Colorado to Nairobi, this layover before continuing to eastern Kenya was very welcome. The staff is very accomodating and the location a short distance from Kenyatta Airport makes this hotel very attractive. As others have noted, the security is very tight and comforting after the recent Al Shabab terror attacks in Nairobi.

Room Tip: Our basic room was quite spacious and enjoyable
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
EkaHotel, Manager at Eka Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Mike,
Its nice to know you enjoyed your stay in Eka hotel Nairobi. It will be our pleasure to host you once again and your friends at Eka hotel.

Abbenes, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Perfect hotel with good rooms. Staff is super friendly. Food is good quality and plenty choice as well. The swimming pool is very cold - might be time of year....Free Wireless Internet. Security is very tight and therefor a safe place to stay. Gated car entrance with huge pole in ground that will not be lowered till the car is completely checked. Entrance another check of people and luggage...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
EkaHotel, Manager at Eka Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear Hans,
Many thanks for your email and nice to know you had a fruitful stay at Eka hotel, We appreciate your outline of Eka and hope will give us another opportunity of service to you and friends In the near future.

With best regards
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

We had one night at the Eka Hotel which is close to the centre of Nairobi and not too far from the airport. Ideally situated for a one night stop before going on Safari. The hotel is modern, beautifully furnished to a high standard and spotlessly clean. The staff were very friendly and helpful although we did not receive a message that was left for us from our safari guide. Our superior standard room was to a good standard. We had tea and coffee making facilities, hair dryer and an amazing shower with fluffy towels and the bed linen was good quality although the bed was a little hard for us. The buffet breakfast was excellent and beautifully presented with lots of choice including an omelette/egg station.

The swimming pool area with sunbeds and umbrellas was again to a high standard - clean and welcoming - but the water was freezing!

We had an evening meal at the more informal restaurant in the hotel and the food was good and priced similar to prices here at home. Try a tusker - the local beer - very good!

I would recommend this hotel for its location, good standards throughout and despite being on the main road into Nairobi - quiet. To get free wifi you had to go into the lobby area and I did struggle at first but eventually managed to get it.

Room Tip: Our room at the back of the hotel was quiet with a nice view of the swimming pool.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for three nights on a business trip to Nairobi although the hotel had good rooms and the food was ok I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Nairobi on business for two reasons. Firstly I had no Internet connection in my room for the first three days and two nights. After constantly complaining for three days I finally got a workable connection but it was too late as it was Friday night and the business week was over I suspect that was only because I started to insist on a room rate reduction as I had booked a room with wifi. A manager appeared and her words were you should have complained earlier. I had been complaining to guest relations since check in, they had even put a router (which did not work) in my room. This may seem like a minor gripe but I run an international business located in over 10 countries and was in Nairobi to set up our new company there. I need good communications. I had to sit in the coffee shop and use the super slow wifi connection there this resulted in me being always late. In the end i would go over to the Ole Sereni nearby have a coffee or a meal and use their free wifi which was quite fast. if I was the owner or General Manage of Eka Hotel i would be ashamed that my customers have to go to my competitor for a basic service. Te second problem with this hotel is the location. It can take up to 2 and a half hours to return from the city centre (happened to us on the first day). On the Thursday night we wanted to go out for dinner but the Mombasa road was gridlocked so we were essentially stranded as we could not travel by car so back to Ole Sereni next door for dinner and a good Internet connection. If you have business downtown be sure to leave the city by 3 pm to get back to the hotel in 30 minutes. When I returned after dinner on Friday I finally had a good wifi connection in the room. Anyway at least I have the last laugh as I need a minimum of 100 business room nights a year in Nairobi so at least I can now vote with my check book as they say. I did locate a better located hotel with super fast wifi at a rate 20% lower than Eka and none of the hidden extras Eka Hotel charges.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet room and check the room wifi connection before paying the room charge
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel. Staff to be commended. The manager replies every time about the beds that are too hard but seems to be the same upon every return. Restaurants are a bit expensive with no alternatives nearby. Overall an enjoyable stay

Stayed September 2013

Been to Eka Hotel Nairobi? Share your experiences!