“Not Suitable for Business Traveller - Poor/No Wifi & Major Traffic Problems” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Eka Hotel Nairobi

You added Eka Hotel Nairobi to your Saves list
Eka Hotel Nairobi
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Mombasa Road, Nairobi 27695 - 00506, Kenya   |
Ranked #21 of 125 Hotels in Nairobi
“Not Suitable for Business Traveller - Poor/No Wifi & Major Traffic Problems”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for three nights on a business trip to Nairobi although the hotel had good rooms and the food was ok I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Nairobi on business for two reasons. Firstly I had no Internet connection in my room for the first three days and two nights. After constantly complaining for three days I finally got a workable connection but it was too late as it was Friday night and the business week was over I suspect that was only because I started to insist on a room rate reduction as I had booked a room with wifi. A manager appeared and her words were you should have complained earlier. I had been complaining to guest relations since check in, they had even put a router (which did not work) in my room. This may seem like a minor gripe but I run an international business located in over 10 countries and was in Nairobi to set up our new company there. I need good communications. I had to sit in the coffee shop and use the super slow wifi connection there this resulted in me being always late. In the end i would go over to the Ole Sereni nearby have a coffee or a meal and use their free wifi which was quite fast. if I was the owner or General Manage of Eka Hotel i would be ashamed that my customers have to go to my competitor for a basic service. Te second problem with this hotel is the location. It can take up to 2 and a half hours to return from the city centre (happened to us on the first day). On the Thursday night we wanted to go out for dinner but the Mombasa road was gridlocked so we were essentially stranded as we could not travel by car so back to Ole Sereni next door for dinner and a good Internet connection. If you have business downtown be sure to leave the city by 3 pm to get back to the hotel in 30 minutes. When I returned after dinner on Friday I finally had a good wifi connection in the room. Anyway at least I have the last laugh as I need a minimum of 100 business room nights a year in Nairobi so at least I can now vote with my check book as they say. I did locate a better located hotel with super fast wifi at a rate 20% lower than Eka and none of the hidden extras Eka Hotel charges.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet room and check the room wifi connection before paying the room charge
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel. Staff to be commended. The manager replies every time about the beds that are too hard but seems to be the same upon every return. Restaurants are a bit expensive with no alternatives nearby. Overall an enjoyable stay

Stayed September 2013
Cape Town
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

We stayed one night on our way to the Maasai Mara. We were due to have a transfer by the hotel at 7.30am (all booked and paid for) the following morning to Wilson airport to catch our plane for our safari. At 6.30am we started asking at reception about the transfer and where we should meet our driver/ transfer. We were fobbed off as reception was so busy with check outs. They clearly did not have enough staff. We were told to return after breakfast which we duly did, checking out at the same time. This was at 7.15am- in plenty of time for our BOOKED transfer. We were told to take a seat and the the driver would be with us shortly. Every 5-10 minutes we checked with reception and he was always on his way. Eventually at 8am I had had enough- we were due to check in for our flight at 8.30am for a 9.15am flight and having experienced the traffic on arrival the previous day I was extremely anxious and getting increasingly angry at the lack of response / interest from the hotel reception staff. Finally I demanded a taxi immediately - at their expense to take us to the airport. We had a hell ride through the back streets of Nairobi and go to the airport at 8.55am -25 minutes after our designated check in time. By some fluke the plane was late departing so we were still able to board.

This hotel nearly destroyed a well planned and eagerly anticipated holiday. The reception staff are inefficient, there is no continuity in terms of service delivery and they actually couldn't care about their clients. We had asked to speak to a manager, but the manager was singularly unavailable. Really a poor show!

I would avoid staying here if you have a plane to catch. Even a booked and fully paid transfer through the hotel holds no water with them- blatant disregard for customers.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Cancun, Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

..as there is a structural fault in the building. Sound proofing is good with respect to the external parts, but non existent with respect to doors! The doors themselves are pretty heavy and you hear them slamming continuously as if it was your own door which keeps slamming. Moreover, you hear everything people say. As a number of visitors come or leave at improbable hours, given the proximity of the airport, if you want to sleep, save yourself the almost 200 dollars and go elsewhere.

Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

This is a relatively new hotel that is fairly close to the airport on the south side of the city. The design is modern and comfortable. Staff are extremely helpful and friendly. The meals were all pretty good. Conference facilities were comfortable and reasonably priced, compared to other venues we looked at. Internet was free and fairly good. The hotel will also provide you with an ethernet cable to connect directly in your room, in addition to the WiFi.

A few things that could be improved though. The beds were extremely hard, so if you do not like hard beds this might not be the place for you. The hotel staff did bring me an extra comforter to try to pad my mattress a bit, which was nice although did not soften it enough for my tastes. The shower head is on the ceiling and aims straight down, which I prefer less than angles shower heads, although there was plenty of hot water. As other people have mentioned, the doors close really loudly, so if you happen to be on the same floor as a tour group that is leaving early in the morning you are going to be constantly awakened by the banging doors.

If I had to come back for a conference, I would, although I would want to make sure that they've diversified their mattress types a bit more. I probably would have given this hotel a 4 if it was not for the mattresses, which really affected my sleep quality.

Room Tip: Rooms 300 through 308 (even only) have a shared terrace with tables and chairs that overlook the poo...
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

If you are a business trip look elsewhere
Walls are paper think
Room doors are so poorly fitted that you can hear everything not to mention they bang loudly
Oh and if some locals start fighting in the hallway at 5 am don't call management they won't do anything about it- even after 3 calls.

• Stayed September 2013
Rajkot, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Good hotel for those who land in Nairobi and then start their safari. We were here with our Group of 19 members, and all the group members had a pleasant stay. Hotel has good ambiance, food, rooms. We had a stay for only one night at this hotel and then to Masai Mara National Park.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Eka Hotel Nairobi? Share your experiences!