“Very Bad Experience Staying at EKA Hotel, Nairobi.” 1 of 5 stars

Special Deal
COMPLIMENTARY BREAKFAST
Ranked #22 of 105 Hotels in Nairobi
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Very Bad Experience Staying at EKA Hotel, Nairobi.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights from 13th April to 16th April, as my company felt this is a new hotel in Nairobi, while all the while I had been staying at Paneeri Hotel for my official visits.
I found today such a bad experience the second time. I checked in yesterday and when asked for a room service menu card which was missing, it took 1 hour to being me a menu card. First I had to dial 3 different extension numbers as instructed by the hotel staffs, and everyone asked me to dial each and every extension number that was possible and then one man from Spur Restaurant comes which was not my need. That was ridiculous as everyone you speak does not want to take the responsibility to hear instead asked to speak to another extension..... to your notice even the reception desk does not take this responsibility... such careless and irresponsible staffs around.

Today, when I was trying to place my order for dinner called the room service the same extension number dialed yesterday, to my shock the staff without asking or waiting to hear me asked me to dial some other number and so I did and when placing my order I got to hear that what I am calling for as the food that I am requiring is not there..... I had to ask this question whether I am calling the correct extension to place the order, at this I was told to dial the same extension number to place a room service order which I did 2 minutes ago and also yesterday when I placed my room service order. I once again dial the same number and get to know that I should dial the other number. I got so furious on this and gave them a piece of my mind and finally I did not have my food.

I tried calling the reception who once again suggests me to dial the room service number and was sorry for what happened, I ask for the manager who was not available and then finally he calls to say that I had some challenges with his hotel staff rather than he trying to find out what went wrong.

I have decided never to stay here again and will inform my office to dis-engage our contract with them and not to have any future booking.

This is for all viewers, if you intent to stay at EKA Hotel, pls stay at your risk or be ready to give 1/2 hr extra before you order your food in your room, because you need to take a roller coaster ride in calling many more extension.

The laundry service is very bad, when did not receive my laundry in time asked why gave a false statement that my room had a DND signboard, being a Sunday it is a holiday I was whole day in the hotel room and my DND tag was lying inside. Such stories these people make.
By the way, this hotel room do not have a telephone directory, 4 numbers are stuck on the telephone unit indicating reception, operator, laundry, housekeeping, bar and business centre.... no number for room service and for your information if you are lucky enough you would get someone that you could speak otherwise you require to wait or dial again and again.

Please try and avoid this hotel, do not recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: No Tips .... try if you can avoid staying in this hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I stayed here for one night while transiting to another African country so was looking for a hotel that was close to airport but also of a high standard. Very impressed with the Eka Hotel, friendly and helpful staff, great dining options and the rooms have everything you need including free wifi and a good selection if English cable tv channels. Would absolutely stay here again and would recommend it for travellers who want the comforts and standards of a good quality western hotel.

• Stayed April 2013
Lahore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I stayed this time in Eka Hotel in Nairobi is good to stay out of town near airport - away from traffic jam, I found this an average hotel. reasonably good for short stay, It is a new compact hotel. can be second good option on the Mombasa road. Breakfast variety is good

Room Tip: rooms in the mod of Corridor are more quieter
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Khartoum, Sudan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed at Eka hotel in April 2013 after Kenya Airways messed up our flight booking, which meant we had 14 hours to kill. If you are looking for a pillow and a bed, this is fine, but it certainly doesn't rate as one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. Although we booked through booking.com, the staff were unaware of our arrival. Apparently the emails go to the office, which is closed on weekends?? We did finally get a room, however.

Our room was reasonably spacious, with only a shower, no bath. There were coffee/ tea-making facilities, but only one cup. The duvet cover had some strange faded red marks on it, but as the sheets were clean and we were tired we decided to ignore it. There was one bathrobe in the cupboard, again it seems as if the room was set up for one person.

The next morning we found out only after breakfast that there is a surcharge for breakfast, Kenyan shillings 2500 per person. We were not informed of this before. There are other hotels near the airport that do provide breakfast and a free airport transfer. This hotel wanted $20 per person for an airport transfer, but if you can arrange with a taxi prior to staying at the hotel, you will pay less than $10 for 2 people. 10min drive to airport when weekend traffic.

This hotel is a bit of a rip off.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Pune, Maharashtra, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

New Hotel close to the Airport. In case your business is around Industrial area and not in Nairobi city you would save time in traveling. It is sometime a nightmare to Travel to city centre. Most part of the day traffic jam is quite common. Hotel is quite new - hence the facilities are in good shape be at furniture in rooms , sofa sets in lobby etc. Buffet breakfast is excellent with wide choice. You may enjoy evening sitting on balcony on the first floor of the restaurant with your drink and grilled food including steaks. However choice of vegetarian dishes is limited.
Internet speed in rooms is not satisfactory but you can access in lobby area where a business room i room rates are on the higher side. In summary a good hotel to stay on business trip not requiring travel to city business centre..

Room Tip: Look for rooms opening towards national park and not towards Mombasa road.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I had an amazing time with my boyfriend during the Easter holiday and the reception was very welcoming. The cooks are amazing and i especially loved their buffet for the four days. The environment is serene and calm and also spot on. It is a nice environment to take the children and also a loved one. I thought the pool was small but its centrally located to suite all the guests. It had an amazing time and i would go back anytime.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Hotels in Kenya are expensive and Eka Hotel is not different. But this new hotel can offer you the confort, cleaness and amenities you want.
Close to the airport, which is important if you want to be away from the heavy traffic of Nairobi.
The bad thing that there is nothing to do around the hotel. Just the Spurr Tex-Mex style restaurant.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Eka Hotel Nairobi? Share your experiences!