“Quick ride from the city center, to bad rain season” 3 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Viator
Top Rated
$193*
and up
Nairobi National Park, Karen Blixen Museum and...
Ranked #5 of 86 things to do in Nairobi
Activities: Viewing wildlife
More attraction details
Owner description: Noble black rhinos are the highlight of this amazing park, Kenya’s first national park and a local treasure.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Quick ride from the city center, to bad rain season”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

In Nairobi we negotiated with a taxi driver about the price he would take us for a half day, and agreed for 4000 ksh (~40 EURO) to pick up from hotel in the morning, do a safari in the park and drop us back in the afternoon. The park fee is about 3200 ksh per person (adult). As it was the rain season (March-May), many roads in the park were blocked by pools of rain water, so the taxi driver and even some bigger vehicles didn't take the risk to cross it. In the end we only spotted antelopes, couple giraffes, monkeys on the road, and an ostrich in the distance. Do bring binoculars with you, as the animals are usually far away, and tend to run away when they hear the car. I recommend to visit this park outside this season.

Visited April 2013

30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“A must see ...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

If you're in Nairobi you must see this wildlife park. Roaming across the park are lions, zebra, giraffes, white rhino, black rhino, hippos, buffalo and lots of native birds. You need a 4x4 and a map or hire a local guide. Entry fee is a little high - but remember tourism is a key source of revenue for Kenya. If you missed anything while you were driving around in the 'wild', then there's an orphanage just next to the entrance/exit.

Visited May 2013
Erbil, Iraq
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A Safari Amidst a Bustling City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Safari in the middle of a bustling city, only in Nairobi. One minute you are in a traffic jam the next a oasis of calm, green and animals roaming around. You have to leave home early like at dawn, to actually have a whole day driving around passing zebras, giraffes, Lions if you are lucky. It's a great day out and the orphanage is amazing, you can pet the baby leopards and dance with the Masai!

Visited June 2012
Bristol
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“If you're in Nairobi go”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I was in Nairobi on business and had a free Saturday. I was slightly skeptical as I'd been on Safari a few times before and wasn't sure if the city/ safari experience would be enjoyable.

However, the contrast of the sky scrappers and realising just how close to its surroundings Nairobi is was really interesting. What a juxtaposition. Almost immediately we came across a lion, giraffe, buffalo.

If you are in Kenya for a holiday then I'm sure there are nicer parks to visit but if you are here for business and have a day I would say why not go.

Visited June 2012
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Well worth a trip if you're in Nairobi and time is an issue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Before we'd even got through the gate..the baboons looked as if they were pondering whether to hitch a ride with us or not....but whilst off to a good start don't expect to see the big sights too soon....if at all. I had a day to kill in Nairobi whilst waiting for a flight. I'd never done a Safari in Africa before and knew I couldn't leave without a trip to the national park. I saw lots, in fact the only things I didn't see that I really wanted to were big cats, elephants and zebras. Thing is...it's pot luck. Different days yield different sights...and that's part of the appeal. I saw all sorts of wildlife and spent a few hours charging around in essentially an open top minibus...which was most fun! Don't expect a smooth ride...at one point I got out and stood on the bumper to give the driver more chance of un-sticking his marooned bus.
All in all, I thought it was a tad expensive (booked through the hotel) but for that I got a private bus and tour guide ($170 for just under 4 hours inc park entry). For that I got to be the envy of my friends, saw a load of wildlife, oh and got somthing to remember forever. With that in mind...it's a well worth experience for anyone. If I were to do it again, I'd have started much earlier in the morning ( like 7am) and then gone to the elephant sanctuary or giraffe place later in the day.

Enjoy

Visited April 2013

Been to Nairobi National Park? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Nairobi National Park, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.