“If you're in Nairobi go” 4 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Viator
Recommended
$280*
and up
Nairobi National Park tour, David Sheldrick...
Ranked #3 of 92 things to do in Nairobi
More attraction details
Owner description: Noble black rhinos are the highlight of this amazing park, Kenya’s first national park and a local treasure.
Bristol
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“If you're in Nairobi go”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I was in Nairobi on business and had a free Saturday. I was slightly skeptical as I'd been on Safari a few times before and wasn't sure if the city/ safari experience would be enjoyable.

However, the contrast of the sky scrappers and realising just how close to its surroundings Nairobi is was really interesting. What a juxtaposition. Almost immediately we came across a lion, giraffe, buffalo.

If you are in Kenya for a holiday then I'm sure there are nicer parks to visit but if you are here for business and have a day I would say why not go.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank joannainbristol

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Well worth a trip if you're in Nairobi and time is an issue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Before we'd even got through the gate..the baboons looked as if they were pondering whether to hitch a ride with us or not....but whilst off to a good start don't expect to see the big sights too soon....if at all. I had a day to kill in Nairobi whilst waiting for a flight. I'd never done a Safari in Africa before and knew I couldn't leave without a trip to the national park. I saw lots, in fact the only things I didn't see that I really wanted to were big cats, elephants and zebras. Thing is...it's pot luck. Different days yield different sights...and that's part of the appeal. I saw all sorts of wildlife and spent a few hours charging around in essentially an open top minibus...which was most fun! Don't expect a smooth ride...at one point I got out and stood on the bumper to give the driver more chance of un-sticking his marooned bus.
All in all, I thought it was a tad expensive (booked through the hotel) but for that I got a private bus and tour guide ($170 for just under 4 hours inc park entry). For that I got to be the envy of my friends, saw a load of wildlife, oh and got somthing to remember forever. With that in mind...it's a well worth experience for anyone. If I were to do it again, I'd have started much earlier in the morning ( like 7am) and then gone to the elephant sanctuary or giraffe place later in the day.

Enjoy

1 Thank BealD
Dallas, TX
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Poor”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Not worth money. Sad--but KWS kills non-residents for such high fees. Crazy and not assured of seeing much game or animals.

1 Thank Simba22
Solihull, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“What more ould you want.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Africas big five ( if you count the baby elephants at the orphanage) next to one of Africas biggest citys. The people of Kenya should be applauded for keeping this prime real estate as nature intended, bursting with wild animals for all to enjoy. Thank you.

London, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Too much rain meant roads blocked & Lions were keeping their hair dry.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Had a spare day on my work trip so came here in the morning. Tip is to come as early as you can before 7am I think and have a 4WD. We came at 7am in a sturdy van but couldn't cope with some of the roads as the rain was pretty heavy and had made some parts unpassable. We spent quite a bit of time reversing and also rescuing another visitor from her stranded van. Having said that it was pleasurable we saw hartbeest, hawks, vervet monkeys, giraffes, warthogs, lots of birds, buffalo and so on. No lions though. Also some were quite a way away so either bring binoculars or really good camera, my iphone was useless!

Visited April 2013

Been to Nairobi National Park? Share your experiences!