“Fabulous grounds but rip-off charges” 3 of 5 stars

Safari Park Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Thika Road, Kasarani | P.O. Box 45038, Nairobi, Kenya   |
Ranked #31 of 125 Hotels in Nairobi
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Fabulous grounds but rip-off charges”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

We held a conference here and I stayed for six nights. The grounds are lovely, with some impressive trees, the staff are pleasant, the food is good (except the Chinese!) and the beds are high and wide and firm, as I like them (though dreadful pillows and shabby bathrooms).

But BUT there are some big BUTS... Mainly that the hotel sees fit to charge exorbitant extras for everything, on top of already high nightly rates. For the internet, which is exceptionally slow, they charge a whopping Sh1,000 per hour or Sh11,000 per week - what you'd pay for a year as a private subscriber in Nairobi, or six months in London for top-speed broadband. They are not interested in waiving this charge for conference groups of business people - an amazingly uncompetitive attitude for which they deserve to lose business. Likewise, as several reviewers have mentioned, there is a daily charge for guests to use the (poor) gym (Sh1000 per time) and the meals and drinks charges are also extortionate.

The other huge BUT is the noise. Most nights and most rooms are quiet. But woe betide you if you have one of the rooms with an interleading door - the soundproofing is dreadful and it will not be fun if you have loud TV watchers or early morning shouters as I did next door. Then there are the parties - the hotel makes most of its revenue from conferences and weddings. The weddings are BIG and LOUD and can go on till past two in the morning. A couple of hours before the wedding, the hotel puts letters under the doors of residents to excuse themselves, but certainly will not move you to another room, take money off the bill or even give a little token of appreciation such as drinks coupons or suchlike. There were two weddings in the six days I was there, plus other events at the Nyama Choma, Cat's Night Club, gym disco and so on.

Take all of this into account if you are thinking of holding a conference at this venue.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Indonesian first
Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

Not the first time I was staying at the Safari Park Hotel, but enough to see
how I witnessed a slow degradation in all terms.
This hotel organizes local parties and weddings and as a consequence
hotel residents have to endure music and noises problems of all kinds.
This time it was a big local party with very loud gangsta rap music all
that is front of the hotel rooms. When you mention and claim at the reception
they look at you like if they don't care or even understand.
The only thing they can say is "what's your room number ?". They don't care
at all when it comes to handle guests'complaints. No follow-up at all.
I must also say that there was no hot water during my whole stay. This wasn't
the first time moreover. Their answer: "we know about it, we can't do anything"

Restaurants are overpriced and prices have kept increasing but not the quality.
Definitely, this place isn't the lovely hotel it used to be anymore. A pitty.
There are better places around Nairobi to invest 220 US$ a night. At that price
they even dare charging you 30 US$ a day for their slow so called wifi connection
and the small gym is also at an extra charge...

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Cambridge, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

I stayed at the Safari Park for 2 nights on my way out of Kenya. Overall I really enjoyed it, but I think it's appeal depends on what you're looking for. It's not a luxury hotel, but it is very nice.

Pros:
-Beautiful grounds - trees, birds, etc, and a nice walking/jogging path
-Clean, well-kept rooms - I felt like mine had a fading glory - great four poster bed, but creaky floors, etc.
-Good breakfast by the pool
-Very quiet
-Friendly staff (at the front desk and main cafe)

Cons:
-Very, very far from the airport - 1.5 hours in moderate traffic!
-The gym and internet both come with a hefty fee

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Miami Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

I visited here when staying at another hotel and instantly preferred this resort!

The first impression - entering the lobby to the huge elephant - was excellent and I was greeted by warm reception staff.

As I was shown around the property I was offered sugar cane to try, which was expertly prepared in front of me. This was a lovely touch.

The rooms were clean, bright, and each has a balcony. The beds had white sheets and the ones that I saw had four posted beds and adequate bathrooms. The rooms were not big, but they were clean and airy.

I was told there was wifi property wide and there were numerous different restaurant options to cater for different tastes!

It is a large property with good potential for business conferences, and I was most impressed by the service and attention of the staff here during my short visit.

I hope to go back again.

Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

The hotel grounds are fantastic with the best swimming pool I have seen for a long time. We had a meal in the Italian restaurant which was very good. I can’t comment on the rest of the hotel facilities as it was just an overnight with an early start for airport in the morning.

The hotel is some distance from the airport especially as you need to go into the town centre first then out, at rush hours this can be a trip of several hours. Luckily our transfer driver took us around the back streets and we made it to the airport just in time. But if this is the last hotel before you fly home leave plenty early enough. On the subject of the airport at Nairobi, there is very little waiting areas (seated) before you get to the gate and before you get there they will take all liquids off you greater than 100ml and there is no way to get a drink once in the gate.

Back to the hotel, the downside was the bathroom whilst clean it badly needs refurbishing. The surface was coming off the toilet and basin. The shower was only just warm enough. Finally despite it being a triple (three bed) room there were only two chairs on the balcony.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

There have been a lot of controversy going about this hotel, location, services, prices, purpose therefore I would like to add one more opinion which is mine :)

I travelled to Nairobi in May 2010 to attend conference at Safari Park Hotel, since I did not have a clue what is the most convenient method of commuting in Nairobi and especially that security is a concern my manager suggested I stay at same hotel where conference is being held.

My flight arrived around 8am in the morning, which is the peak of the morning rush hour, driver had to drive through the slums and take of shortcuts, the hotel turned out to be far from city centre, it took me about 2 hours to reach the hotel and I was charged 35USD for the ride.

Upon arriving at the hotel I was amazed by the area, and the truly African style. The staff was very friendly sent me to my room straight away. I couldn’t wait to explore the hotel especially that this is one of the few places where you could be walking freely without walking about the security.

I came across squash courts, tennis courts, alot of restaurants, bars and a casino. All the pathways, greenery, landscape are VERY IMPRESSIVE.

Shortly I knew that I was in a very luxurious prison, u are very far from any shops or markets so you have to buy everything from the hotel. You could not imagine how much they would charge for phone calls and internet, an hour's usage of internet is more expensive than a month's subscription fee in Kenya and the same applied for both local and international phone, my roaming didnt work for some reason. So if you are staying at Safari Park the first thing you should is to buy a local phone line and local data sim and make sure you put in them enough credit. You could find Safaricom offices at the airport.

Squash courts, gym, tennis courts, are all for a fee and it's not cheap(fer to hotels website), I didnt understand why is the gym for a fee, it’s a very primitive gym. The only the thing is inclusive is the breakfast anything else you will be ripped off. So if you need anything try to bring it with you from with you whenever you are at down town.

The restaurants are very good, especially the Nyoma Chama ranch, alot of my colleagues who went to carnivore said this is more or less the same except that at carnivoie you could get ripped off and it's at your hotel you so do not have to go anywhere. The show at this restaurant is great.

Italian resturant is also great.

As for business conference it was a pleasant experience as most of the other attendees where staying in the same hotel so you get an ideal chance to socialize and make business relations.

Going to the rooms, I did not see Air conditioners anywhere neither in the conference halls or the rooms. Rooms are fitted with mosquito nets and I barely came across any insects. It was not hot, I went during May which is winter, it was a bit chilly in the night which was perfect temperature for sleeping. I am person who finds it difficult to sleep when changing places but this room felt like home. I really have no clue what the do no in the summer.

This was my experience hope you find it useful, and I would definitely return to this hotel again :)

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

The Safari Park Hotel was great for a one night stay prior to our safari - it is clean, safe, quiet and has a range of nice affordable restaurants. However, in zero traffic (Sunday afternoon) it's 45 minutes from the airport, and in rush hour (Monday morning) it's two hours away. If you're just looking for a place to rest for one night, I'd suggest that you find somewhere nearer to the airport.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Safari Park Hotel? Share your experiences!