“Dishonest, unresponsive - caveat emptor” 1 of 5 stars

Safari Park Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Thika Road, Kasarani | P.O. Box 45038, Nairobi, Kenya   |
Ranked #27 of 125 Hotels in Nairobi
Denver, Colorado, United States
“Dishonest, unresponsive - caveat emptor”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

I spent four nights at Safari Park Hotel in early April 2014 as a keynote speaker for a conference focused on business leaders. The conference was tremendous. The hotel stay was epically disappointing.

Upon arrive, Safari Park sent their hotel van to pick me up at the hotel. It cost $38, which Safari Park billed to the room. The van was easily recognized because it had their logo on the side. I gave the trolly, which had all my bags on it, to the driver to load in the back and made the mistake of not staying back there to watch him load the bags.

When I got to my room at the hotel, one large piece of luggage was missing which contained books to sell for the conference worth hundreds of dollars. I immediately notified the hotel staff who questioned the driver. Over the next two days the hotel manager and staff required me to go back out to the airport, personally make reports to the police, check back in with customs and the airline (who verified the bag arrived) and pretty much do all the investigation myself. They continuously claimed they were working hard to find the bag, but it turns out they were doing nothing.

After four days they not only had no answer, they were ignoring me. Even though the hotel security chief, the hotel manager and the assistant manager had all insisted they would keep me informed, and would make it right, I was completely ignored from the second day forward. Once they figured out the bag had been lost by their driver and cold not be recovered, they simply ignored me and the issue and hoped I would go away. It is a terrible example of a hotel not taking responsibility.

I emailed the hotel a number of times since my return, and the only response I got was from a low-level staff person who said the driver was responsible and that the driver was not an employee of the hotel, so it wasn't their problem. This is the worst possible response by a hotel. The van was ordered by my office through the hotel. The hotel confirmed the van, told us to look for THEIR van with THEIR logo on it, and billed me for the van as a room charge on my hotel bill. At every point they wanted me to believe the van and the driver was theirs, until it was no longer to their advantage. it's like United Airlines not taking responsibility for an incident on a regional flight because they hire a third party airline to fly the route. The plane still has United's logo on it, United is representing they are United, and United bills me. The hotel ignored a cardinal rule of hospitality - never blame a third party that you hire to represent you.

I'm out some very expensive books. The people at the conference did not get them, which likely cost me future opportunities as well. And the hotel is simply running and hiding like a three year old child. I've never seen such a lack of professionalism in a hospitality business. And by they way, the room had plywood hodling up the bathroom ceiling fan and a number of other very tacky issues for a hotel that claims to be one of the best in Nairobi. I have been in much better there.

It's easy to claim to be customer-focused when things are going well. But we show who we are when our backs are against the wall. Safari Park revealed themselves as who they really are, a hotel owned by Chinese industrialists who will not stand behind their performance. The staff is clearly dishonest and nonresponsive. If you stay there, know that if something goes wrong that will cost them some significant money to fix, that they will disappear on you.

I'll add Safari Park to my workshop on how not to treat customers.

Room Tip: The rooms are tacky and held together with plywood and other low-end appointments. It's going to...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Indonesian first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

So this place is nice, and the rooms are well done, but it feels fairly impersonal, doesn't have the nice little touches some hotels have. Good room service. Overall fine for business but I wouldn't come on holiday.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

My family and I stayed at the Safari Park Hotel in Nairobi for about a week and overall it was a great experience. The hotel grounds are gigantic and can take a long time to walk around. However, as a runner, I liked how large the grounds were as I was able to do laps around the grounds. They actually have a running track! The weather wasn't great while I was there however I still went in the pool and it was very clean and I enjoyed it.

The rooms were excellent. They were kept clean and they had mosquito nets on all the beds. They were also a great size, with balconys/patios for each room. As I was there with many family members, I saw a lot of the rooms and everything was similar.

Unfortunately WIFI does not work very well at the hotel and only in the lobby. It also costs a lot of money to have WIFI for a short 24 hour period.

Breakfast every morning was excellent. There was a large variety of food to choose from. Also, all the restaurants on the grounds were great. I especially enjoyed the pizza at the Italian place.

The hotel is a little far from downtown Nairobi, but its a great place to stay!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Lagos, Nigeria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Safari Park is quite an amazing place to stay in Nairobi. The hotel is huge in size that it take about 20 minutes to walk from the Jambo Hall to my room. It's fun walking around with its beautiful parks, waterfalls, the bridge leading to the Casino area and the night club.
The breakfast is world class...the staff, super friendly and helpfully especially Cathering the Guest Relations Officer and Slyvester one of the Porters.

However, the lack of free wifi is a BIG negative one for this hotel but one can get to but safaricom data to use on the phone and share with the tablet and laptop...that will be cost effective than paying 2,000 Kenyan shilling daily which I considered unthinkable!

At a point, I felt very unsafe the moment I saw some armed Kenyan soldiers parading round the hotel and the fact that there was a blast in Nairobi a couple of day earlier didn't help too.

Overall, it was a great and unforgettable time

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Utrecht
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Since my visit last year, the biggest draw back is that the WiFi is paid again an that at a whopping KSH 2000 per 2 devices. So if you have a phone, a tablet and a laptop (or if you have a wife or kids with you) your bill can go up very quickly. WiFi speed is still not great.
The grounds, the dance show at the BBQ restaurant and the pizza's at the Italian restaurant are still very good and the check out is still very slow. On departure at 5 in the morning, I was the only one there and it took me almost 10 minutes to pay and get an invoice. This needs to be improved for a hotel of this standing. Security is very good, and even better on the last day, when the Kenyan President hoisted the conference for East African leaders in the hotel (and made it almost impossible for other guests to get onto the grounds).

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

The gardens in this well established hotel make it a wonderful place to stay. The rooms are very comfortable and the food during the day is excellent. At night it is worth escaping outside for dinner to seek good value and any atmosphere.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

It is an excellent hotel worth every penny that we pay for. Great food excellent staff and very proactive management. We used it for our conference of more than 450 people. The place id so huge that it did not feel crowded at all. The place is really worth the money

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Been to Safari Park Hotel? Share your experiences!