“Not my first option in Nairobi” 3 of 5 stars

Safari Park Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Thika Road, Kasarani | P.O. Box 45038, Nairobi, Kenya   |
Ranked #24 of 111 Hotels in Nairobi
Naples, Italy
“Not my first option in Nairobi”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Having stayed at much nicer and modern hotels in Kenya previously, the Safari Park was quite a let down. The room was comfortable enough, but no aircon, and my room had no fan either. Bathroom functioned, but was also not too precisely cleaned.

The grounds are quite nice, though, and the breakfast was pleasant. Also, the Hemingway lounge is a good place to spend an afternoon and evening.

I sampled a few of the restaurants on the property as well. The Chinese place was not much better than mediocre takeout, but at much higher prices. The Italian place was adequate.

My biggest complaint is the nickel-and-diming for what should be standard amenities. The wireless was about $12 a day, and performance was lackluster. I had to stick with voice-only calls online. Also, the gym is also not complimentary. Absolutely absurd for a local hotel with this reputation.

Overall, the stay was no better than average.

Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Indonesian first
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

If you would like a secluded and isolated hotel to stay this is the one for yourself. However there was no privacy, staff entered your room at their leisure, when ever. Reception staff not as friendly as the other staff??
No animals except for a couple of birds in a cage outside the foyer area. Resturants very expensive and currency conversion was a total rought. Hotel mainly geared for convention stayers whom had no other choice of stay, Casino all wrong in terms of rules, food however was good.
I would not stay there again. Also check your account before checking out.

Room Tip: I requested a room in the main building so as not having to walk to the dining room to far. However...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

This is a most unusual hotel. It has the appearance of a game lodge (the presence of a few wild-ish animals in the grounds helps!) but works as a modern hotel.

There are several restaurants on site including one serving a big-game buffet (not as good as Carnivore but if you don't fancy a cab ride to the other side of the city it's a reasonable alternative) and a great bar that puts you in mind of Hemingway.

It's way out of town so don't expect to be able to explore Nairobi easily but if you want the 'safari' sleeping experience without going the whole hog then this might be an alternative that works.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Odenton, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

This hotel was the first of 5 hotels that I stayed in while in Kenya in May 2012. I wish I had more time to explore the property, however, it was not meant to be on this trip. I would plan to spend at least 4 nights to be able to see all the birds, the monkeys and enjoy the beauty of the property and the friendliness of the staff.

The food is exceptional in the restaurants. Room service wasn't up to the restaurant standards. The bed is more firm than I was used to, however, after the days activities I slept soundly. Definitely catch the show!!

Yes, there are travel warnings for this area, however, travel smart. Don't venture out alone; don't wear jewelry; don't flash money around.

Room Tip: If you have difficulty walking, as for a room close to the front of the property.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Kampala
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

With a great dinning experience, memorable entertainment, lovely Nyama Choma (Meat), good service and not just large variety of foods and restaurants, Indian, Japanese, African... , highly recommend...

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Maryland Line, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

First I must tell you that I almost canceled this trip. People will scare you, not to mention all of the health and travel warnings. I am so glad that I did not. Just like every place you go, you use caution and common sense. This was a dream vacation and a life changing event.

My husband and I stayed in this hotel back in November 2011. We stayed before we went on a safari (Masi Mara) and when we came back. The hotel stored our luggage for us while we were on the safari. The staff was very pleasant and treated us very well. The hotel looks like it should not be in the area it is in, but is well secured. I would not stay here if you are planning on spending most of your time in the downtown area. It is a drive to get to all the popular places. I don't think it would be bad if the roads and drivers were not so terrifying. If you can get a dedicated driver. I have one if you need one. The hotel grounds are beautiful. The internet is expensive. We had a hole in the screen window and someone came to fix it right away. We did not have any mosquito issues. The bed nets did the job. We ate at all but one of the restaurants (Chinese) because it was closed when we wanted to eat there. They were all good. My husband really liked the one that served all the different meats. The show at that restaurant was very entertaining. Breakfast is really nice with a good selection of food. We used the tour company from the Safari Park Hotel to go to Nairobi National Park. You could probably get a cheaper one or take a taxi. We are glad we used the one from the hotel because he took us to additional places, so we got our monies worth. The Nairobi Museum is very nice and don't forget the Snake House while you are there. The shops in the hotel are great. You have to talk to them. I had clothes made for me and my kids and I got a very good deal. Everyone does not get the same price, so it pays to talk.

This hotel is beautiful and of course it is not the 5 star hotel that you see in well developed countries, but it is one of the better hotels in Nairobi. If you don't want to be in the city and would enjoy a quiet relaxing atmosphere this is a wonderful hotel to stay in.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the hotel lobby.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel twice for business, and look forward to returning later in the year. While some things seem a bit dated, the warm, Kenyan hospitality and good service make for a memorable stay. The grounds are beautifully kept, and breakfasts at the pool are a great way to start the day.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Been to Safari Park Hotel? Share your experiences!