“Extremly memory” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 124 Hotels in Nairobi
Kampala
“Extremly memory”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

With a great dinning experience, memorable entertainment, lovely Nyama Choma (Meat), good service and not just large variety of foods and restaurants, Indian, Japanese, African... , highly recommend...

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Indonesian first
Maryland Line, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

First I must tell you that I almost canceled this trip. People will scare you, not to mention all of the health and travel warnings. I am so glad that I did not. Just like every place you go, you use caution and common sense. This was a dream vacation and a life changing event.

My husband and I stayed in this hotel back in November 2011. We stayed before we went on a safari (Masi Mara) and when we came back. The hotel stored our luggage for us while we were on the safari. The staff was very pleasant and treated us very well. The hotel looks like it should not be in the area it is in, but is well secured. I would not stay here if you are planning on spending most of your time in the downtown area. It is a drive to get to all the popular places. I don't think it would be bad if the roads and drivers were not so terrifying. If you can get a dedicated driver. I have one if you need one. The hotel grounds are beautiful. The internet is expensive. We had a hole in the screen window and someone came to fix it right away. We did not have any mosquito issues. The bed nets did the job. We ate at all but one of the restaurants (Chinese) because it was closed when we wanted to eat there. They were all good. My husband really liked the one that served all the different meats. The show at that restaurant was very entertaining. Breakfast is really nice with a good selection of food. We used the tour company from the Safari Park Hotel to go to Nairobi National Park. You could probably get a cheaper one or take a taxi. We are glad we used the one from the hotel because he took us to additional places, so we got our monies worth. The Nairobi Museum is very nice and don't forget the Snake House while you are there. The shops in the hotel are great. You have to talk to them. I had clothes made for me and my kids and I got a very good deal. Everyone does not get the same price, so it pays to talk.

This hotel is beautiful and of course it is not the 5 star hotel that you see in well developed countries, but it is one of the better hotels in Nairobi. If you don't want to be in the city and would enjoy a quiet relaxing atmosphere this is a wonderful hotel to stay in.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the hotel lobby.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel twice for business, and look forward to returning later in the year. While some things seem a bit dated, the warm, Kenyan hospitality and good service make for a memorable stay. The grounds are beautifully kept, and breakfasts at the pool are a great way to start the day.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Johor
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

The hotel has plush greenery and large compounds which is really nice to have a walk. To me, it is a like a prelude to the national reserves that we visited. Our room has a balcony which face a green compound...so relaxing and refreshing!
This hotel is so big that it has its own casino. Too bad, I was not prepared to spend on gambling. Big swimming pool and big dining area. The conference hall that my friend held her wedding dinner was huge too.. The place was welcoming but I could not say that of the service.
We had to call room service a few times before things can be done. We had three of us in a room and requested for extra towels, we had to call them up 5 times and waited for an hour before they get the towels to us. During the wedding reception, I realised that a few of the rooms next to ours had gotten extra towels without asking for it. Hmmm, wonder what was happening there? Miscommunication?

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Centurion, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

I ended up doing a conference here and stayed for 4 nights.
As has been mentioned, the grounds are large, but it is a fair trek to the city, but then again in Nairobi the traffic is bad at the best of times
Looking at the hotel, it is very similar to the other rooms I have stayed in in Nairobi. Wooden Floors, large rooms, old bathrooms ....
The rooms do not have air-con's, but in the different hotels I have stayed in, none of them have had so it is not too much of a problem.
I have eaten at 3 different restaurants here, the Sushi, Chinese and meat restaurant. The first 2 were OK (albeit the sushi pieces were a little bit small and fairly expensive).
The Meat place we went to (Nyama Choma Ranch) was superb with camel, crocodile, goat and multiple other meats all cooked in a great manner... I did enjoy this.
internet connectivity is expensive (At the other hotels in Nairobi was slow, but included in the room rate), whereas this is extremely slow (0.25Mbps download & 0.10 Mbps upload, and yes they are zero's in front) and extremely expensive at 2000 KES per day.
You also have to pay to use the gym as well which i find unacceptable, luckily there is a 2km track that you can run on ...

In summary, the hotel is

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

Gorgeous grounds, comfortable rooms - premier hotel - feel like you are in lap of luxury

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Ghent, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

After the friendly, albeit a bit slow, check-in, a porter brought me to my room. The hotel grounds are huge, and the rooms are spread out over different buildings scattered around the terrain. Upon entering the room came a real disappointment. Now, call me spoiled, but a five star hotel that is practically located on the equator but doesn't offer aircon in the room, just a ceiling fan? That just doesn't seem right to me. To make things worse, the fan on the ceiling didn't seem to be working. I tried all the different switches, but though it did create a rather worrying rumble, it remained very motionless. I called reception who sent somebody over, who naturally repeated all the pushing of buttons I had already done, to come to the same conclusion as I did: the fan did not work. He assured me somebody would come to my room to bring me a portable fan. 10 minutes later reception called to say they had just ran out of mobile fans. Considering the room was extremely warm, I requested for another room. Reception was a bit taken aback by this, to them apparently, highly unusual request. I insisted, as I had no intention of spending the night slowly overheating in the oven that was my room. Finally they gave me another room, on the whole other side of the complex. A porter was sent over to guide me so I wouldn't wander of into the jungle or anything. Oh well...

The rooms are clean and spacious, but a bit old.

The hotel is a hotspot for conventions and business meetings, so expect lots of signs for receptions and people strolling arond in business suits.

Prices for drinks and services are okay. The breakfast buffet is huge and offers an interesting collection of Korean dishes (turns out the hotel is owned by Koreans).

There's wifi available throughout the grounds, but at 1000KES (around 10 euro) an hour, it's prohibitively expensive.

The grounds are well kept, and the swimming pool is very nice.

For those wanting to explore the city, beware, the hotel is a 45 minutes drive away from the city, and as it is a bit out of the way, you're gonna have to use hotel taxis to get around. Needless to say these will be more expensive than the normal taxi's.

All in all I guess it's an ok hotel to relax for a few days before setting of on a safari. If you get a room with a fan that is...

Room Tip: You should really go for the ones with a working fan...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Been to Safari Park Hotel? Share your experiences!