“Back at the Safari Park” 4 of 5 stars

Safari Park Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Thika Road, Kasarani | P.O. Box 45038, Nairobi, Kenya   |
Ranked #24 of 111 Hotels in Nairobi
Penzance, United Kingdom
“Back at the Safari Park”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

Six months after my last visit (and review) I returned with my wife for business.

I still feel the hotel rooms could do with a bit of a revamp - but I had a better room (upstairs) in Block 6 with a pleasant view over the grounds. The grounds are what really make the hotel special + the wooden buildings.

Although we rarely eat Chinese food at home we ate there 6 days out of the 12. Two reasons for this. Our business lunches were very filling and we only needed a couple of starters (very good quality) in the evening. And, Kioko our waiter (and his boss Marilyn) were very friendly and helpful and made us most welcome out of the 5 restaurants.

Overall the staff are friendly and open. Again I (and my wife) enjoyed superb massages in the Spa with Lucy (in my opinion worth the money and a good tip on top). In Hemmingways Bar, Dennis knew what I wanted to drink after about day 3.

Our room was more than adequate and only let down by a very firm (too firm for my liking) mattress on the bed. We were glad for Doom as it rained a lot and there were plenty of bugs around. I only got bitten once in 12 days - so not bad really. Aircrew come and go at various times of the night - but earplugs solved that.

Having stayed in the city (Safari Club) two months ago I was glad to be out of the noise of the city. Although the Thika Road is not far away, the noise doen't really intrude.

I still think Internet Access should be free in a hotel like this, but would I go back? Definitely.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Indonesian first
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

There was this wonderful wedding for the children of my family friends that took place on 26.03.2011 that i had been invited to attend. Since i like touring i decided to get there early in the morning to have ample time to tour the hotel and see most of the facilities before we started the wedding program. The compound is so big, i think it is approximately 25 acres. The land scaping is excellent and the grass cut and the flowers well trimmed. They have several swimming pools that looked very clean, they have several restaurant and several converence halls. The scenery inside is very attractive.

The staff is very nice and very co operative. I liked their food - very delicious served by a team of happy staff. I was told most of their clients are business people. The wedding was a garden type and the reception was hosted in one of the big halls near the gate. Photo session also took place within the hotel compound due to its beautiful scenery, it had all what it takes. It is a good hotel for weddings.Even the photos that i took can attest of that fact.

• Stayed March 2011
Thun, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

Clean but a bit dark room. Unfortunatly no A/C, ok for winter but in summer I guess it will get very hot. I liked the birds "singing" into the night, some people may find this bothering. The hotel has several very good restaurants, pool and a casino all embedded between beautfiul flower arrangements and large green spots of lawn. I liked the path that goes around the hotel village, I used it for running in the morning. I recall WiFi to be slow and very expensive.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

The checkin was fast and efficient. Staff were very friendly every in the resort. The Bar above the reception was very comforatble and relaxing - lovely coice of cocktails. Bitings with drinks very tastety. The beauty and hairdressing facility reasonably comprehensive and value for money. The pool temperature rather cold. Lighting in the rooms could have been better. Ideal place to relax after business if you do not want to travel to a safari lodge as this place feels like one. Excellent grounds. Fresh fruit juice - expensive.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Yardley, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2011

Stayed for a conference. The rooms were reasonable,although on Saturday night, a wedding went late into the night and kept us all awake. The other nights were very quiet. The staff are very friendly. There are multiple restaurants that were all quite nice. The grounds are beautiful. Unfortunately, the resort is far from center city, so don't expect to travel there often, and, with current road construction right around the resort, traffic is terrible. So plan on staying put once you get there. They charge outrageous rates for internet (1,000 KSh/day) and the fitness center (1,000 KSh/day).

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Pittsburgh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

I was robbed in my hotel room while I was in it. Someone knocked on the door, and when it was opened he came in and demanded money and cell phones. The thief took $100 US in cash and my iphone. Staff was nice in refunding goods and comping room, but I thought the safety here would be better considering the high level personnel who come to this hotel. My friend has lived in Kenya for 4 years and nothing has happened to her--I come for 10 days and I'm robbed in my hotel room by what the general manager said was an "inside job." Luckily I'm alive, but it was a very frightening experience. The man stayed in the room for 15 minutes looking for cash before ripping out the landline phone and threatening my life. The security manager and police came, but they did not find the guy.

However, the management comped the room for me and the 8 guests at the wedding party with me (this was the night before a wedding). I am thankful for that, but still--A very disturbing experience in what I thought was a safe place to be in Nairobi.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Penzance, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2010

As others have commented, the grounds are superb and all the buildings look great from the outside. The room I had was tired and in need of a revamp. The bathroom especially needed attention. The back of the bathroom door had not been washed or clean in months. On the last day, there was hardly any water for a shower.

Internet access is a rip off and very slow.

Here seems to be the problem. It seems the hotel is resting on its laurels. It may have been superb 10 years ago, but there are lot of things that need attention and upgrading.

Generally the staff were attentive and friendly. The Cafe Kigwa staff were always a bit slow. At breakfast I usually had to ask twice before getting coffee. In the evening, I cancelled a drinks order as it took so long. I also had to send back food which was really not up to par.

The Safari Cats show is really good (I'm comparing it with the Tropicana in Havana).

The Spa staff are great and I had a massage every day which was very good. Best person (IMHO) is Lucy.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Been to Safari Park Hotel? Share your experiences!