“Great staff, excellent location” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Seasonal Promotion $173
Ranked #21 of 102 Hotels in Nairobi
Helsinki
“Great staff, excellent location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

We stayed at Sarova on Dec 21-24, 2013 We booked though hotels.com because it had only good reviews and were very happy with our choise. The hotel is near the city center so you can walk to the center yet it was near the Uhuru park and that's why not so noisy and dusty as in the city center. Our room was spacious, had 2 double beds for 3 persons, beds were comfortable, great shower, lots of space to put your things, had a balcony with the view to Kenyatta avenue and to the city. Rooms were clean and complementary water bottles were provided every day. We felt very safe, our bags were inspected every time we entered the hotel for security reasons. Staff was very polite and helpful. Breakfast was a buffet type and was great. We also dined at the restaurant. The menu was authentic, had various choises and prices were reasonable. There was a swimming pool in the garden of the hotel which was a good refreshment after a stroll in the city or a safary
We will recommend this hotel and will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on upper floors, they are not so noisy.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Anthony N, General Manager at Sarova Panafric, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at Sarova Panafric. We do appreciate your feedback.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am glad to read that you were very happy with your choice. Our staff strive to provide warm, welcoming, high standard service always, and making your stay with us great. I have personally passed on your commendation to the associates.

Sarova Panafric

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Polish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

I checked into the hotel on 26th Dec 13. Made reservations directly with the hotel as it was not a planned holiday rather short much needed rest and relax and where else to do it but in my home country. So chose this hotel based on the reviews on Trip Advisor. Check in was fast and we were served with a refreshing juice while being checked in. Porter was friendly. After seeing the room, we went directly to the restaurant to eat as we were travelling with our 1 year old daughter. She was cranky and hungry after the 5 hour flight from Dubai. The menu was great but did not include anything for an infant. The chef was not very helpful, and on one occasion I had to order steak and ask them to cook a beef stew (which was too salty and we ended up not eating). The food was appropriately priced but for adults. Wouldn't pay that much for food that my daughter would eat only a few spoonful. I asked for an iron box and to be changed room to the ones that had a bathtub (for ease of bathing my daughter) and was promised both the next day. We were only moved at 6pm after asking thrice. The iron box was only brought the 2nd day when checking out. I had intended to stay for 6 nights but checked out early as I found another hotel with friendly kids menu. I did not want to always go out to eat as those were our rest and relax short vacation. Reception did not care or ask us why were checking out early. Very friendly staff at the restaurant in exception of the managers who would not afford a smile to any guest. I loved the grounds and quiet environment. I would definitely recommend this hotel for short stays. Not for long stays with family.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on top floors as they are more quiet and have a great view!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Anthony N, General Manager at Sarova Panafric, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

Sarova Panafric is wholly committed to serve our guests exceptionally and ensure their stay is exceeding and it’s great to note that you found our associates friendly. I have passed on your commendation to them. We do take guest feedback seriously and we have noted your feedback on the provision of a kid's menu. Guest comfort is at the top of our agenda and this cannot be compromised; including provision of children's meals upon request by guests, guided by the ingredients in-house. I greatly apologies for the inconvenience caused and I have taken up corrective action so that this does not recur. Kindly do let me know the next time you’re in Nairobi so that we can personally meet.

We hope you can trust our sincerity, and we thank you again for sharing this feedback with us as it has prompted us to be more diligent than ever.

We hope this initial experience will not deter you from staying with us again.

Warm Regards,

Luanda Province, Angola
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

In the Panafric hotel you'll find from the moment you step in an extremely friendly and caring staff.
However the rooms are quite old and you can see it and fell it. There is also a lot of noise coming from the road, that the thin glass on the windows don't stop. Bed is ok.
If you really need to stay here, ensure you stay in the suites which are less old.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Sarova Panafric is wholly committed to serve our guests exceptionally and ensure their stay is exceeding and it’s great to note that you found our associates extremely friendly and caring. I have passed on your commendation to them. We do take guest feedback seriously and we have noted your feedback on the noise experienced from the highway from your room. I greatly apologies for this inconvenience. Guest comfort is at the top of our agenda and this cannot be compromised. We are also yet to commence our next phase of renovation that will touch on our entry category of rooms, the Superior rooms as well as placing of double glazed windows on all highway facing rooms. I’ll be sure to inform you once these developments commence. Once again, please accept my apologies for the same. Kindly do let me know the next time you’re in Nairobi so that we can personally meet.

We hope this initial experience will not deter you from staying with us again.

Warm Regards,

Worthing
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel in **January 2012 (not 2014)and thought it was a great place to stay based on its location and was competitive to other hotels in the same location. You do not need a matatu to get to the city centre as it's walking distance.
The staff were great and food was authentic with generous portions.
They were very helpful in booking us a room with one of their other hotels in another city(Whitesands Hotel in Mombasa).
The room we stayed in the first time was not great as it was on top of the kitchen and you could hear all the cutlery noises at odd hours of the night(I suppose with room service being 24hrs) The fact that the rooms on the side we stayed in were being upgraded, meant that the noise of drilling etc was a disadvantage but tolerable and we received letters from management to notify us of what was happening.
Another thing that you may well be careful of, is not to be charged twice as we booked online and when we left, our card was charged again. Lucky for me I was still in the country and chased it up otherwise I don't know how long it would have taken to sort this issue out over internet and numerous phone calls. So I would say make sure before checking out.

Otherwise we enjoyed relaxing by the poolside when we were not touring the rest of the country.
I would recommend this hotel, though there are others within a stones throw away.

• Stayed January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at Sarova Panafric.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay. Sarova Panafric is wholly committed to serve our guests exceptionally. We do take guest feedback seriously and have noted your comment on the noise levels and experience with the card transaction. Apologies for the inconvenience and I have personally taken up corrective action to ensure that this doesn’t recur. Please feel free to join our online conversation and stay updated on what's happening by following us on Twitter @sarovapanafric and share your positive Sarova Panafric experiences with the rest of the world.

Thank you for your recommendation and we appreciate each word.

We forward to hosting you soon.

Bucharest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We landed in Nairobi on an awful weather with heavy rain during mid December and our safari company was waiting for us to give us a lift to Sarova Panafric. We were greeted by security which started to check our luggage for safety reasons. We received a juice and check-in was very fast and the receptionists very kind. We received a room on the third floor which was big enough for our needs. Nice LCD Tv, 2 complimentary bottles of water, hot shower, cheap minibar and a nice balcony was everything we needed after 20 hrs flights.
The only inconvenience that we had was the sight of a used condom in the bin. For the future the cleaning staff should be more careful.
Breakfast was good not sensational, we ate omlettes, fruits and enjoyed the traditional kenyan chai. Just before checking-out we were approach by a lady from guest relations which kindly asked us to give her the feed-back of our stay there.
Our stay at Panafric was nice but short since our safari was waiting for us!

Room Tip: Rooms at higher floors are more quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and we're happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found us to be a good hotel.

Accept my apologies for the condom found in the bin. This is definitely not in line with our housekeeping procedures and I assure that I have taken corrective action to ensure it doesn’t occur again. Sarova Panafric is wholly committed to serve our guests exceptionally and ensure their stay is exceeding and we therefore sincerely apologies for this inconvenience. Please feel free to join our online conversation and stay updated on what's happening by following us on Twitter @sarovapanafric and share your positive Sarova Panafric experiences with the rest of the world.

Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

This was a last minute option. The staff was very friendly and helpful, rooms were spacious -pretty clean. Food was great. Location gives you easy access to other parts of Nairobi.

My biggest grip was there's no gym! I had to knock down the rating just for that. They do have plans to build one so maybe once that's done I'll stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am glad to read that you enjoyed the food, rooms and location. Our staff strive to provide warm, welcoming, high standard service always, and making your stay with us great. I have personally passed on your commendation to the associates. We do take guest feedback seriously and we have noted your comment on the provision of a gym. This is something we have taken note of when carrying out the next renovations phase projected to commence soon. I will be sure to let you know once this developments begin.

Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I had to wait a few weeks to write this review following my last one but felt compelled to write another as this is just such a great place so here we go:

Another Wonderful Stay

I was last in Nairobi around 12 days before the terrorist attack on the Westgate Shopping Centre and so as you might imagine I was slightly nervous as to what state the level of security would be. I can safely report that there has been an increase in security in terms of visible presence of police, security guards and army and I dare say that there is also a heightened increase with plainclothes security officers so at no time did I feel any more worried than normal.

My tip of the day-I would strongly urge you to seriously consider having a private driver to be with you for the duration of your stay. I never take taxis and they would actually end up being more expensive for the moving around I do during my work day.

I use a great chap called Justus ambanijustus@yahoo.com who is highly efficient-never late-extremely courteous-very knowledgeable and polite and respectful. This arrangement completely put my mind at rest and I know 100% that I am as secure as possible in this vibrant city tel +254 723970722 NB he allowed me to add phone number.

This particular hotel has excellent security with a double barrier system and under car inspection before arriving at the hotel. On the door of the hotel there are visible signs of increased security probably there to provide further reassurance for overseas visitors. Various scans take place, banks are inspected, fairly hefty security guards are inspecting everyone from a distance walking into the hotel and all in touch with each other by radio.

Okay, let's talk about the hotel itself. The welcome started with the met at the airport by the hotel car, a Mercedes and greeted accordingly. Cold towel, water, soda in the back of the Mercedes-all very impressive and I've never been treated at an airport before like this. This cost around $40. Incidentally following the devastating fire at the international arrivals terminal, they have commandeered the ground floor of the multi-storey car park and transformed this into a very impressive and efficient arrivals terminal.

On arrival at the hotel, I was greeted by name like a long lost friend and check-in procedure was excellent added to which, it was around 9 AM and I had pre-advised the hotel that I would be in early and “if possible” would it be possible for me to get my room early than the normal 2 PM check-in time.

They duly accommodated and I was also given a lovely upgrade to a corner room on the top floor overlooking the city of Nairobi in the background. The room was the same one as I had previously and has all the amenities one could hope for. added to this, it was immaculately clean and spacious.

There is a kettle with all of the normal accompaniments. A well-stocked minibar which I didn’t actually use other than dairy milk!

Samsung flatscreen TVs with the South African Sky equivalent streaming in and providing some good entertainment.

Wi-Fi is, entry throughout the hotel for residents

Each level of the hotel has a security guard by the lift 24 hours a day

Breakfast is an absolute feast and pretty much everything is available added to which the service is friendly and efficient.

All of the staff seem to be very proud of their roles within this organisation, part of the Sarova Group and everyone is engaging and helpful.

There is a small but very nice bar alongside the restaurant in a horseshoe shape with some additional seating. Very nice to have a drink before dinner at which there always seems to be some football on quietly in the background.

Special mentions to Bevaline who is always extremely welcoming and her communication prior to my arrival as before was prompt, efficient and very friendly. Catherine on reception went the extra mile in trying to get my local Sim card sorted out so I could use my Kenyan cellphone functioning. George for a warm welcome in the car that drove me to the hotel. Monica & Monica 2 who were always very welcoming at the restaurant. Ebrahim, the chef at breakfast you I shall miss dearly! Kennedy in the restaurant.

Lastly, one thing I can say about Kenyans is that they are generally very happy people and engaging. In every restaurant that I visited everyone says “thank you for coming” or “thank you for choosing this hotel” and they really mean it. They seem to fully appreciate that tourism has been dented and that there are security concerns from outsiders looking in.

As for this hotel, as before, it just gets better and I would have no hesitation in recommending it to prospective residents. This is ideally located for business and is very close to the central business district.

Don't search - - - -just book this place.

Check out my other reviews and I hope you find this useful.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

It's great that you have selected Sarova Panafric and I am glad to read that you will be coming back. Our staff strive to provide warm, welcoming, high standard service always, and making your stay with us great. I look forward to meeting with you and most of all, hosting you again.

Sarova Panafric

Been to Sarova Panafric? Share your experiences!