“Very friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
“Very friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Most aspects of the hotel are very good - but it is the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff that give it a real boost. All the staff members were friendly without being obtrusive, and made me feel very welcome throughout my stay.

My room was clean and well maintained, although the furniture was a bit too big - difficult to get to the window to open and close curtains because a chair blocked all the space between bed and desk. Bed was just too firm to be comfortable - but better than being just too soft. The cupboard was adequate for hanging clothes - except that a huge ironing board took up a good chunk of the space.

Breakfast was superb (fresh, with a good selection), although perhaps there could have been one or two more staff circulating with coffee.

Very pleasant swimming pool, although busy at lunchtime with the many conferences and meetings taking place here having lunch beside it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Anthony N, General Manager at Sarova Panafric, responded to this review, October 31, 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am elated to read that you enjoyed the friendliness and helpfulness of our staff and that we made you feel very welcome, as it should be. Our friendly staff strive to provide warm, welcoming, high standard service always, making your stay with us great. Its also exciting to note that you enjoyed our pool facility as well as breakfast and have shared your feedback on the same with my team. I have also taken to note your recommendation on the coffee service and I do agree with you as this should hasten the service speeds. Please feel free to join our online conversation and stay updated on what's happening by following us on Twitter @sarovapanafric and share your positive Sarova Panafric experiences with the rest of the world.

442 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I stayed at Panafric with a large party for a week and we were treated like kings! :)
The room was excellent in both it's facilities and quietness and cleanliness.
The service was friendly, polite, prompt and helpful: nothing was too much trouble for them. They went above and beyond the call of duty to help us.
Eating in the restaurant was great quality, as was privately-provided food, as was afternoon tea and drinks in the bar area. Eating and drinking at the pool side was also great.
At a time when Kenya has recently been attacked by terrorists and being deserted by some, we felt very safe and it was a pleasure to be able to support them and receive their hospitality and service.
They were very good ambassadors for a great country.

PS My only criticism is that the wifi signal in the room seemed a little intermittent in strength at times but that does not effect my overall rating.

Room Tip: My room overlooked the pool at the back of the hotel and was quiet and pleasant.

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am elated to read that you felt like kings when staying with us and that you found the service friendly, polite, prompt and helpful, as it should be. Our friendly staff strive to provide warm, welcoming, high standard service always, making your stay with us great. Its also exciting to note that you enjoyed your room experience and found it excellent in both it's facilities, quietness and cleanliness. A standard we do not compromise on. I'm happy to read that you enjoyed the afternoon tea and drinks in the bar area as well as the pool area. My heart reaches out to those who were involved at Westgate during the tragic incident. Security is of utmost importance to all our guests and we take great measures to ensure they are enforced. We are truly grateful that you were not at that particular mall when this incident happened and I’m happy to hear that my wonderful team was able to make you feel very safe after the incident and to be good ambassadors of our great country. Please feel free to join our online conversation and stay updated on what's happening by following us on Twitter @sarovapanafric and share your positive Sarova Panafric experiences with the rest of the world.

Winnipeg, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I was very disappointed with this hotel as our travel agent said he had good experiences there. I almost never write poor reviews and we have traveled to many different countries so we know standards can be very different. We came to the hotel after traveling for over 26 hrs. and were very tired. I had requested a room in the back part of the hotel ahead of time as I had read the reviews about the street traffic noise in the front part.

Our safari co. guide dealt with the check in and told us if we did not like the room to go back to the desk and ask for another one. The room was on the street side and was also between the hotel's two huge air conditioning units, so it was extremely noisy. So, we went back to the desk and were told that the hotel was full and they could not give us another room. I told them that we had made a request ahead of time for a room in the back, but he said that since we got in later at night we had no choice. The reception staff were very unreceptive and had no interest in making our stay comfortable. The next day they moved us to another room, but this was not done until around noon time and it was to another room on the street side and was still very noisy. The shower was at about chest height so it was hard to wash your hair. The room was very old and dated. We were only there for another night so we did not ask for another room in the newer section as it was just too exhausting trying to get the reception staff to help us.

When we returned to our room after supper our card key would not open the door. We ended up being locked out of our room for 45 minutes. They had to take the lock apart to fix the key lock. The maintenance staff were very good as were the restaurant staff. It is strange that the reception staff is so poor. At no time did they ever offer something to compensate us for our difficulties. Anyways, it was not a pleasant stay. We had another night in Nairobi at the end of our safari so our tour company cancelled our revelation there and took us to another hotel which was fabulous, and when I checked their price online it was cheaper than the Panafric. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. This was the only place we stayed at in our 3 weeks in Africa that had such uncaring reception staff.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Anthony N, General Manager at Sarova Panafric, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your great experience at Sarova Panafric. We do appreciate your feedback.

Sarova Panafric is wholly committed to serve our guests exceptionally and ensure their stay is exceeding. I'm sad to hear about your overall experience while staying with us, especially your room experience. Indeed, we encourage our guests to give us feedback so that we’re able to take up corrective action. I am sad to hear about the key card incident and I greatly apologies for this inconvenience. The guest rooms are thoroughly inspected by the Executive Housekeeper and supervisors in order to ensure everything is in order prior to the guest check in. With that being said, this is definitely not in line with our brand standards and please note that I have personally taken this up and put in place corrective measures to avoid this situation recurring. Accept my sincere apologies about the noise from the streets. Please note that the renovation plans of this room category are underway, including placing up a double glazed sliding door. We shall communicate once the project commences.

I do hope the next time your travels bring you to Nairobi, you will return to Sarova Panafric and be sure to let me know. It’ll be a pleasure to meet with you and for you to enjoy our good facilities, excellent restaurant and amazing staff.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I can't say enough good things about this hotel. We stayed for two nights, 4 nights apart, as we were going on safari. Every single staff member we encountered was unfailingly helpful, friendly & polite. We returned from safari, hot and covered in dust, and were met with cold juice and hot towels - heavenly. The rooms have been overhauled at some stage, and still show their age a bit, but they were secure and clean. I had one of the best showers I've ever had in my life at this hotel! The food in the restaurant is very nice, but not inexpensive. I also had a facial at the Wellness Centre, which was okay - the therapist was very nice, but a bit rough - could have used a bit of polish & professionalism. Otherwise, I would not hesitate to stay here again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am elated to read that every single staff member you encountered was unfailingly helpful, friendly & polite, as it should be. Our friendly staff strive to provide warm, welcoming, high standard service always, making your stay with us great. Its also exciting to note that you enjoyed the personalized touch of the hotel towels and freshly squeezed juices. A standard we're more than happy to give to our guests as we understand your travels. I'm happy to read that you tried out our Tulia Spa and thank you for the candid feedback on the same. Apologies for your experience and I have taken it up for corrective action. Please feel free to join our online conversation and stay updated on what's happening by following us on Twitter @sarovapanafric and share your positive Sarova Panafric experiences with the rest of the world.

Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Meet and greet at reception was not particularly friendly or helpful when I asked about a room upgrade. My room was pretty basic and a bit old. I had expected better for the price but the bed was comfortable and the shower good. The Flame Tree restaurant was very good and I enjoyed my meal and my breakfast. the conciege was very helpful the day of my depature and assisted me with some issues which I appreciated.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Anthony N, General Manager at Sarova Panafric, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Jennifer,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am elated to read that you enjoyed your meal and breakfast at the Flame Tree restaurant which was very good and that you our concierge was very helpful. Our friendly staff strive to provide warm, welcoming, high standard service always, making your stay with us great. Apologies for your meet and greet experience at the reception. Unfriendliness is definitely not up to our standards and I have noted your feedback on the same for corrective action. Please feel free to join our online conversation and stay updated on what's happening by following us on Twitter @sarovapanafric and share your positive Sarova Panafric experiences with the rest of the world.

NH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I spent 2 nights here before a group safari. My flight was 5 hours late from London, so the drive to the hotel was light on traffic. I didn't expect much due to arriving at the hotel at 330am.The check-in process was actually enjoyable! We were given hot towels and fresh juice while we were in the lobby. Everyone was nice and nicely dressed and very friendly. The room was very small, with 2 small twin beds only about a foot apart. There was a desk and chair, but could not walk around them to get to the sliding glass door and small balcony. Almost had to walk across one bed to access the balcony. The bathroom was small but nice. Hotel was pretty and the restaurant was okay. Breakfast buffet was small but enjoyable. I felt very secure here at the hotel. There was some kind of music at the pool and it lasted into the night which might be irritating to those trying to sleep after a long flight.

Room Tip: If you're trying to sleep, ask for a room away from the pool area.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am happy to read that you enjoyed the personalized check in experience, very friendly staff, breakfast buffet at the Flame Tree restaurant as well as the security provided. Security is of utmost importance to all our guests and we take great measures to ensure they are enforced. Apologies for the noise experienced during your stay with us. I truly understand how inconveniencing this can be therefore compromising on your comfort which should not be the case. Please be assured that I have noted your feedback on the same for corrective action. Please feel free to join our online conversation and stay updated on what's happening by following us on Twitter @sarovapanafric and share your positive Sarova Panafric experiences with the rest of the world.

Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We had a four day workshop at Sarova Panafric. The rates were fair, the service was great, the food , the room et al. I would recommend this hotel for their accommodation and conference facilities any time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Anthony N, General Manager at Sarova Panafric, responded to this review, October 18, 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am elated to read that you found our rates fair and the service, food, and room great. Our friendly staff strive to provide warm, welcoming, high standard service always, making your stay with us great. Please feel free to join our online conversation and stay updated on what's happening by following us on Twitter @sarovapanafric and share your positive Sarova Panafric experiences with the rest of the world.

Sarova Panafric

Been to Sarova Panafric? Share your experiences!