“Two Nights in Nairobi” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
NH
“Two Nights in Nairobi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I spent 2 nights here before a group safari. My flight was 5 hours late from London, so the drive to the hotel was light on traffic. I didn't expect much due to arriving at the hotel at 330am.The check-in process was actually enjoyable! We were given hot towels and fresh juice while we were in the lobby. Everyone was nice and nicely dressed and very friendly. The room was very small, with 2 small twin beds only about a foot apart. There was a desk and chair, but could not walk around them to get to the sliding glass door and small balcony. Almost had to walk across one bed to access the balcony. The bathroom was small but nice. Hotel was pretty and the restaurant was okay. Breakfast buffet was small but enjoyable. I felt very secure here at the hotel. There was some kind of music at the pool and it lasted into the night which might be irritating to those trying to sleep after a long flight.

Room Tip: If you're trying to sleep, ask for a room away from the pool area.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Anthony N, General Manager at Sarova Panafric, responded to this review, October 24, 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am happy to read that you enjoyed the personalized check in experience, very friendly staff, breakfast buffet at the Flame Tree restaurant as well as the security provided. Security is of utmost importance to all our guests and we take great measures to ensure they are enforced. Apologies for the noise experienced during your stay with us. I truly understand how inconveniencing this can be therefore compromising on your comfort which should not be the case. Please be assured that I have noted your feedback on the same for corrective action. Please feel free to join our online conversation and stay updated on what's happening by following us on Twitter @sarovapanafric and share your positive Sarova Panafric experiences with the rest of the world.

438 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We had a four day workshop at Sarova Panafric. The rates were fair, the service was great, the food , the room et al. I would recommend this hotel for their accommodation and conference facilities any time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Anthony N, General Manager at Sarova Panafric, responded to this review, October 18, 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am elated to read that you found our rates fair and the service, food, and room great. Our friendly staff strive to provide warm, welcoming, high standard service always, making your stay with us great. Please feel free to join our online conversation and stay updated on what's happening by following us on Twitter @sarovapanafric and share your positive Sarova Panafric experiences with the rest of the world.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I presented a course at the Panafric and also stayed at the hotel for 3 days. The training venue was excellent with all equipment set up well in time. The staff is extremely friendly and always on standby to assist.
Although some of the rooms (and towels) are in need of "freshing up", I found my room comfortable and large - this is important especially if you are staying for more than one night. The food was tasty and well prepared, with a good variety available. All in all I always find the Panafric a nice place to return to.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am elated to read that you found your training venue excellent and your room comfortable and large. Our friendly staff strive to provide warm, welcoming, high standard service always, making your stay with us great and we're happy to note that they were extremely friendly and always on standby to assist. Please feel free to join our online conversation and stay updated on what's happening by following us on Twitter @sarovapanafric and share your positive Sarova Panafric experiences with the rest of the world.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night for our early flight that next day from Wilson Airport to Masai Mara. The taxi journey from Jomo Kenyatta Airport to hotel took more than 2 hours (it was during the peak hours & traffic condition was bad ). Our taxi ride from hotel to Wilson Airport is only 10 minutes.
Hotel provides a sense of security as they screen through every car that drives into the hotel. There is also a security guard at every floor of the hotel. Room looks tired & old but it's clean and comfortable. Basic bath amenities provided including hair dryer. Wifi works fine.
We had dinner at the poolside restaurant. Great service but below average food. Paid around USD56 for 4 dishes.
Hotel provides breakfast. Spread is ok with your choice of eggs, breads, juices and hot beverages.
Extremely slow check-in / check-out.

• Stayed September 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am elated to read that you enjoyed great service. Security is of utmost importance to all our guests and we take great measures to ensure they are enforced. Please feel free to join our online conversation and stay updated on what's happening by following us on Twitter @sarovapanafric and share your positive Sarova Panafric experiences with the rest of the world.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We arrived very late and departed very early, but our impression was positive. It’s a large and important hotel in Nairobi. Negative aspect was that on our floor there was some sort of party going on which lasted until the end of the night, which made it quite noisy. The breakfast was very good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am elated to read that you thought of our hotel as a large and important hotel in Nairobi. Apologies for the noise experienced during your stay with us. I truly understand how inconveniencing this can be therefore compromising on your comfort which should not be the case. Please be assured that I have noted your feedback on the same for corrective action. Please feel free to join our online conversation and stay updated on what's happening by following us on Twitter @sarovapanafric and share your positive Sarova Panafric experiences with the rest of the world. We hope that the next time you come you'll get to experience our swimming pool and Tulia Spa.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

although not a 5 start hotel , the rooms were quite spacious and comfortable with its own private balcony. a nice pool side cafe and a little bit cut off from the rush hr noise in nairobi. we were in for a surprise to know the privacy and serenity it offered for our business meeting. The fexible and corporating staff made our experience even better.

Although we had come for a business meeting, its highly recommended for holiday yers

Room Tip: Front facing rooms with self balcony
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am elated to read that you found our rooms quite spacious and comfortable and got to enjoy our swimming pool. Privacy and serenity are some of our top advantages offered to our guests due to our prime location. We're happy you experienced the same. Our friendly staff strive to provide warm, welcoming, high standard service always, making your stay with us great and we're happy to note that they made your experience with us even better. Please feel free to join our online conversation and stay updated on what's happening by following us on Twitter @sarovapanafric and share your positive Sarova Panafric experiences with the rest of the world.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I came to Kenya for one week's work, to run a workshop for facilitators and to experience something of East Africa, its people and its culture. It was my first visit. I was immediately struck by the warmth, courtesy and welcome I received. Although the baggage reclaim was slow, with a prepaid visa I passed through immigration at the airport with little delay. Maybe I was lucky, but the taxi ride into the city was only about 40 minutes and there was little traffic. My first impression of Nairobi was of a modern international city. It was a sharp contrast with Lagos, where I had been before.
I immediately warmed to the people. Everyone seems to wear a smile and they have an uncommon skill in active listening that appears to come naturally. Maybe this is because all are bilingual and the vocabulary, structure, phonemes and flow of English and of African languages such as Swahili are completely different.
I was unaware of the tragic events at the Westgate Mall, even though the drama was unfolding at the very time I arrived in Kenya. Once I arrived at my destination I realised what was occurring. My host, an NGO, applied tight security measures, and I was not permitted to leave the hotel. After a while even the delights of arrowroot begin the pale, and so I was relieved ultimately after 6 days to be released from my virtual house-arrest. And yet as I write that last sentence I feel a sense of shame for thinking about my simple comfort alongside the inconceivably tragic losses people in Nairobi endured in those tragic six days.
If I had to be confined to a hotel, it was fortunate that it should be this one. The food is good, if a little overcooked, and pizzas are freshly made and very good indeed as are the eggs and omelettes at breakfast. The freshly-squeezed orange juice is exceptional, and the beautifully decorated cupcakes are great to look at even if, as in my situation me, your diet forbids you to eat them. Around every corner, in every public space, you, are met by staff who greet you by name and wear dazzling smiles. Not knowing any Swahili, I was at first amused when the security guard outside my room said Hakuna Matata when I thanked him for calling the elevator for me. Of course I was visualising Disney's Lion King, but the ethic of "no problem" drives the people here to every more impressive levels of service quality. The waiters, reception staff, hotel management, restaurant staff, gardeners, housekeepers and cleaners are dedicated to making you feel welcome and well-served.
The flame tree restaurant is comfortable and many evenings they have live music, mostly light jazz. The pool-side restaurant is outdoors and the grounds of the hotel are spectacularly beautiful - in September the jacaranda trees and birds of,paradise etc were in full and splendid flower. In the conference room, staff tried very hard to satisfy all our needs. As I am diabetic, they went to significant lengths to make me feel at ease and comfortable, preparing special sugar-free fruit cocktails and sugar-free biscuits for my mid-morning snack. We were held back a little by some short-term connectivity problems as the hotel was upgrading its broadband. It's a shame we were not permitted to leave the hotel, but that intensified the bonds and friendships everyone was making and strengthening. The staff in the hotel and the local people whom you could see interviewed on TV displayed great dignity and self-control after the terrible events of Westgate. It was heartbreaking to see their sorrow. I was struck by the patience and forgiveness I sensed all around me. In the midst of three days of National Mourning, it was business as usual, but when I looked beyond the cheery smiles and warm handshakes into the eyes of security guards, cleaners, waiters, front-of-house staff I perceived a deep sadness that will take some time to fade. After my work was,complete I returned to the airport. Now it was Friday evening and the traffic was horrendous. The 40 minute journey took more thaN 2 hours. In the aftermath of a fire that had destroyed much of the airport terminal, facilities there were temporary and very much lacking in quality, comfort and style. Nevertheless to conclude, I say come to Kenya and stay at the Panafric. I am keen to return, not necessarily to work, but to enjoy this very fine hotel under more relaxed conditions and to visit the elephant orphanage and see some of the "big five" game beasts too.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front of the hotel look out,onto the main road which gets very busy very early.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am elated to read that you found us to be 'a haven of old charm' with comfortable rooms. Our friendly staff strive to provide warm, welcoming, high standard service always, making your stay with us great and we're happy to note that you enjoyed the dedication to making you feel welcome and well-served. My heart reaches out to those who were involved at Westgate during the tragic incident. Security is of utmost importance to all our guests and we take great measures to ensure they are enforced. We are truly grateful that you were not at that particular mall when this incident happened and I’m happy to hear that my wonderful team was able to make you feel at ease and comfortable even after the incident. As it should be. We do understand the importance of technology in the current world and we have therefore taken steps ahead to improve the system so as to ensure higher broadband speeds and therefore provide efficiency to our guests accessing it. I’m certain the next time you visit, you’ll have no problem with the broadband connectivity & speeds.

Sarova Panafric

Been to Sarova Panafric? Share your experiences!