“Professional service” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Professional service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I presented a course at the Panafric and also stayed at the hotel for 3 days. The training venue was excellent with all equipment set up well in time. The staff is extremely friendly and always on standby to assist.
Although some of the rooms (and towels) are in need of "freshing up", I found my room comfortable and large - this is important especially if you are staying for more than one night. The food was tasty and well prepared, with a good variety available. All in all I always find the Panafric a nice place to return to.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Anthony N, General Manager at Sarova Panafric, responded to this review, October 18, 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am elated to read that you found your training venue excellent and your room comfortable and large. Our friendly staff strive to provide warm, welcoming, high standard service always, making your stay with us great and we're happy to note that they were extremely friendly and always on standby to assist. Please feel free to join our online conversation and stay updated on what's happening by following us on Twitter @sarovapanafric and share your positive Sarova Panafric experiences with the rest of the world.

443 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night for our early flight that next day from Wilson Airport to Masai Mara. The taxi journey from Jomo Kenyatta Airport to hotel took more than 2 hours (it was during the peak hours & traffic condition was bad ). Our taxi ride from hotel to Wilson Airport is only 10 minutes.
Hotel provides a sense of security as they screen through every car that drives into the hotel. There is also a security guard at every floor of the hotel. Room looks tired & old but it's clean and comfortable. Basic bath amenities provided including hair dryer. Wifi works fine.
We had dinner at the poolside restaurant. Great service but below average food. Paid around USD56 for 4 dishes.
Hotel provides breakfast. Spread is ok with your choice of eggs, breads, juices and hot beverages.
Extremely slow check-in / check-out.

• Stayed September 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am elated to read that you enjoyed great service. Security is of utmost importance to all our guests and we take great measures to ensure they are enforced. Please feel free to join our online conversation and stay updated on what's happening by following us on Twitter @sarovapanafric and share your positive Sarova Panafric experiences with the rest of the world.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We arrived very late and departed very early, but our impression was positive. It’s a large and important hotel in Nairobi. Negative aspect was that on our floor there was some sort of party going on which lasted until the end of the night, which made it quite noisy. The breakfast was very good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am elated to read that you thought of our hotel as a large and important hotel in Nairobi. Apologies for the noise experienced during your stay with us. I truly understand how inconveniencing this can be therefore compromising on your comfort which should not be the case. Please be assured that I have noted your feedback on the same for corrective action. Please feel free to join our online conversation and stay updated on what's happening by following us on Twitter @sarovapanafric and share your positive Sarova Panafric experiences with the rest of the world. We hope that the next time you come you'll get to experience our swimming pool and Tulia Spa.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

although not a 5 start hotel , the rooms were quite spacious and comfortable with its own private balcony. a nice pool side cafe and a little bit cut off from the rush hr noise in nairobi. we were in for a surprise to know the privacy and serenity it offered for our business meeting. The fexible and corporating staff made our experience even better.

Although we had come for a business meeting, its highly recommended for holiday yers

Room Tip: Front facing rooms with self balcony
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am elated to read that you found our rooms quite spacious and comfortable and got to enjoy our swimming pool. Privacy and serenity are some of our top advantages offered to our guests due to our prime location. We're happy you experienced the same. Our friendly staff strive to provide warm, welcoming, high standard service always, making your stay with us great and we're happy to note that they made your experience with us even better. Please feel free to join our online conversation and stay updated on what's happening by following us on Twitter @sarovapanafric and share your positive Sarova Panafric experiences with the rest of the world.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I came to Kenya for one week's work, to run a workshop for facilitators and to experience something of East Africa, its people and its culture. It was my first visit. I was immediately struck by the warmth, courtesy and welcome I received. Although the baggage reclaim was slow, with a prepaid visa I passed through immigration at the airport with little delay. Maybe I was lucky, but the taxi ride into the city was only about 40 minutes and there was little traffic. My first impression of Nairobi was of a modern international city. It was a sharp contrast with Lagos, where I had been before.
I immediately warmed to the people. Everyone seems to wear a smile and they have an uncommon skill in active listening that appears to come naturally. Maybe this is because all are bilingual and the vocabulary, structure, phonemes and flow of English and of African languages such as Swahili are completely different.
I was unaware of the tragic events at the Westgate Mall, even though the drama was unfolding at the very time I arrived in Kenya. Once I arrived at my destination I realised what was occurring. My host, an NGO, applied tight security measures, and I was not permitted to leave the hotel. After a while even the delights of arrowroot begin the pale, and so I was relieved ultimately after 6 days to be released from my virtual house-arrest. And yet as I write that last sentence I feel a sense of shame for thinking about my simple comfort alongside the inconceivably tragic losses people in Nairobi endured in those tragic six days.
If I had to be confined to a hotel, it was fortunate that it should be this one. The food is good, if a little overcooked, and pizzas are freshly made and very good indeed as are the eggs and omelettes at breakfast. The freshly-squeezed orange juice is exceptional, and the beautifully decorated cupcakes are great to look at even if, as in my situation me, your diet forbids you to eat them. Around every corner, in every public space, you, are met by staff who greet you by name and wear dazzling smiles. Not knowing any Swahili, I was at first amused when the security guard outside my room said Hakuna Matata when I thanked him for calling the elevator for me. Of course I was visualising Disney's Lion King, but the ethic of "no problem" drives the people here to every more impressive levels of service quality. The waiters, reception staff, hotel management, restaurant staff, gardeners, housekeepers and cleaners are dedicated to making you feel welcome and well-served.
The flame tree restaurant is comfortable and many evenings they have live music, mostly light jazz. The pool-side restaurant is outdoors and the grounds of the hotel are spectacularly beautiful - in September the jacaranda trees and birds of,paradise etc were in full and splendid flower. In the conference room, staff tried very hard to satisfy all our needs. As I am diabetic, they went to significant lengths to make me feel at ease and comfortable, preparing special sugar-free fruit cocktails and sugar-free biscuits for my mid-morning snack. We were held back a little by some short-term connectivity problems as the hotel was upgrading its broadband. It's a shame we were not permitted to leave the hotel, but that intensified the bonds and friendships everyone was making and strengthening. The staff in the hotel and the local people whom you could see interviewed on TV displayed great dignity and self-control after the terrible events of Westgate. It was heartbreaking to see their sorrow. I was struck by the patience and forgiveness I sensed all around me. In the midst of three days of National Mourning, it was business as usual, but when I looked beyond the cheery smiles and warm handshakes into the eyes of security guards, cleaners, waiters, front-of-house staff I perceived a deep sadness that will take some time to fade. After my work was,complete I returned to the airport. Now it was Friday evening and the traffic was horrendous. The 40 minute journey took more thaN 2 hours. In the aftermath of a fire that had destroyed much of the airport terminal, facilities there were temporary and very much lacking in quality, comfort and style. Nevertheless to conclude, I say come to Kenya and stay at the Panafric. I am keen to return, not necessarily to work, but to enjoy this very fine hotel under more relaxed conditions and to visit the elephant orphanage and see some of the "big five" game beasts too.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front of the hotel look out,onto the main road which gets very busy very early.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am elated to read that you found us to be 'a haven of old charm' with comfortable rooms. Our friendly staff strive to provide warm, welcoming, high standard service always, making your stay with us great and we're happy to note that you enjoyed the dedication to making you feel welcome and well-served. My heart reaches out to those who were involved at Westgate during the tragic incident. Security is of utmost importance to all our guests and we take great measures to ensure they are enforced. We are truly grateful that you were not at that particular mall when this incident happened and I’m happy to hear that my wonderful team was able to make you feel at ease and comfortable even after the incident. As it should be. We do understand the importance of technology in the current world and we have therefore taken steps ahead to improve the system so as to ensure higher broadband speeds and therefore provide efficiency to our guests accessing it. I’m certain the next time you visit, you’ll have no problem with the broadband connectivity & speeds.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

the check in took more than 20 minutes!!!
all together, the staff was very arrogant - especially when we didn't want to take the hotel limousine to the airport. The guy at the valet parking acted very pushy and upset when we told him that we wanted to take a normal taxi which would cost us maximum half of the price of what the hotel limousine would charge us (USD 50 for hotel limousine whereas for the normal taxi, we were charged only USD 20). not only did they want to rip us off, they also did it in a very pushy way and acting arrogant and unfriendly when we neglected to choose their overpriced service.
for our next stay, we would probably choose a different hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Cherie,

Thank you very much for sharing your great experience at Sarova Panafric and I’m happy you found our staff amazingly helpful and friendly with big smiles and kind gestures.

It's also great to read that you enjoyed the delicious breakfast buffet with variety of offering at the Flame Tree restaurant. Our Executive team and kitchen staff are excited to hear this. We're elated that you found Sarova Panafric to be the most memorable hotel you stayed at throughout your three month vacation in East Africa! This means a great deal to our team as they are wholly committed to serve our guests exceptionally and ensure their stay is exceeding. Please feel free to join our online conversation and stay updated on what's happening by following us on Twitter @sarovapanafric.

Thank you for your recommendation and we appreciate each word.

We forward to hosting you soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

The staff here were so amazingly helpful and friendly! Big smiles, kind gestures, and honestly cared about each individual guest! Absolutely incredible service!! The most memorable hotel we stayed at throughout our three month vacation in east Africa! The breakfast buffet was awesome! So much variety and all very delicious! We also ordered the room service and that too was an excellent variety and what we ordered was great!

• Stayed October 2012

Thank you for your recommendation and we appreciate each word.

We forward to hosting you soon.

Sarova Panafric

Been to Sarova Panafric? Share your experiences!