“Beware” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 106 Hotels in Nairobi
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Beware”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stay away from concierge! First, I wanted to do a day trip to Nairobi National Park. Concierge told me it would be $100 USD and they would arrange it. Later, they said it was $100 plus a $10 entry fee. The next day, they told me it was $150, but that they could give me a special price of $140. I have lived and worked in Africa for many years, and I'm quite accustomed to this type of negotiation "shakedown." However, I did not expect this from an international corporate hotel chain! I ended up arranging the tour with an independent tour company just because I was so frustrated with concierge and their changing story. The next day I was leaving to catch a flight to the airport. Concierge told me they would arrange for my shuttle service at a rate of $40 USD. I told them that was an outrageous price. They changed it to $30. I could not understand - again - why any international corporate hotel chain would not have standard prices, and this was overpriced. I told them I would just like a taxi and that I did not need their shuttle service. They told me I had to use the shuttle service and that I could not use a taxi. They refused to call me a taxi!!! I called an independent taxi on my own, which was not permitted to come to the lobby area. I had to go to the petrol station next door. I paid $20 USD..and with a taxi company that the concierge had called for me before! Furthermore, the beds were hard as a rock, the WIFI did not work in my room, and the hotel was overpriced for the quality of the rooms.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Anthony N, General Manager at Sarova Panafric, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your great experience at Sarova Panafric. We do appreciate your feedback.

Sarova Panafric is wholly committed to serve our guests exceptionally and ensure their stay is exceeding. We're sad to hear about your concierge experience while staying with us. Indeed, we encourage our guests to give us feedback so that we’re able to take up corrective action. My sincere apologies for the miscommunication in regards to your day trip to the National Park. Our official charges for a day trip to the National Park as at 2013 are $40 for the park entry fee and $150 for the transport therefore summing up to $190 per person. However, we do have group discounts which can be arranged in advance. Please note that this misrepresentation of information is not in accordance to our front office and overall hotel standards and I have personally taken up corrective action on the same to ensure it doesn’t occur again. Once again, my sincere apologies for this incident.

I do hope the next time your travels bring you to Nairobi, you will return to Sarova Panafric and be sure to let me know. It’ll be a pleasure to meet with you.

Sarova Panafric

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Polish first
Lechlade, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Always enjoy staying at the Panafric. It has a lovely atmosphere, and the staff are friendly and welcoming. The restaurant and pool area have a holiday atmosphere. The menu is extensive, and the food is really tasty. Breakfast is a wonderful self service buffet, with a vast array of different choices. The hotel is clean, and well appointed.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the road are noisy through the night. I changed room after the first night, and the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Anthony N, General Manager at Sarova Panafric, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Steve,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am glad to read that you appreciated the lovely atmosphere, friendly and welcoming staff. Our friendly staff strive to provide warm, welcoming, high standard service always, making your stay with us great. I'm excited to read that you enjoyed our wonderful breakfast selection offered at the Flame Tree Restaurant. Please feel free to join our online conversation and stay updated on what's happening by following us on Twitter @sarovapanafric and share your positive Sarova Panafric experiences with the rest of the world.

Rijsbergen, Ne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Although a bit worn out still one of the ' best value for money' in Nairobi and easily accessible! Ample free parking and a good and well serviced restaurant. No time to check the pool! Ask a back side room because of Nairobi traffic noise starting early morning.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Tom,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am elated to read that you find it 'Best Value for Money'. Our friendly staff strive to provide warm, welcoming, high standard service always, making your stay with us great. Please feel free to join our online conversation and stay updated on what's happening by following us on Twitter @sarovapanafric and share your positive Sarova Panafric experiences with the rest of the world.

Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

I stayed here 27th July with my 3 kids in two rooms...and they were good value by Nairobi standards (about £170 total). The pool is pretty big and a great refreshing way to finish off a week's travelling around the Rift valley. We wanted to relax for a night before flying off to Zanzibar, and this was a good choice. The staff were dead friendly, mighty cheerful security staff on each floor (even if they all seem to support Man U) we had a good chow-up in the restaurant, and a big breakfast the next day. As we had a bit of time to kill before the afternoon flight, we walked into town through Uhuru park, which was full of families and church goers (it was indeed a Sunday...), and went into the market near the Law Courts. You'd be best advised to get a good idea of what things cost before you go there, as the start price for those lads is about 10* what is fair ! But hey...a spot of bartering is fine for all. I left a bag here to pick up a week later, and the chaps were fine with that...very helpful.
Watch out for the 'we can help you get a taxi' malarky..sure they can, and charge one time big prices...$60 USD to get to the airport...however, if I had been a bit more awake I could easily have dealt with that on our Sunday walk by getting some chap in town to come and pick us up to get to the airport...for about 1/2 that, methinks. Ah well...it was a good stay, and I'd recommend the hotel. We stayed in 3 (this one, Ole Sereni and Sarova Stanley...and this one came a near second (after the Stanley).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am glad to read that you found the staff dead friendly, mighty cheerful. Our friendly staff strive to provide warm, welcoming, high standard service always, making your stay with us great. I'm excited to read that you enjoyed our prime location, rooms as well as the breakfast selection offered at the Flame Tree Restaurant. Please feel free to join our online conversation and stay updated on what's happening by following us on Twitter @sarovapanafric and share your positive Sarova Panafric experiences with the rest of the world.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

It's a great hotel with friendly people. I would recommend going here for your stay in Nairobi. The rooms are clean, however the bathroom looks dated but the shower is great! The meals are fine, don't expect michelin star food. You feel safe as there is enough security.

• Stayed September 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am glad to read that you appreciated the personalized touch in our service. Our friendly staff strive to provide warm, welcoming, high standard service always, making your stay with us great. Please feel free to join our online conversation and stay updated on what's happening by following us on Twitter @sarovapanafric and share your positive Sarova Panafric experiences with the rest of the world.

west midlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We used this hotel as a base before and after embarking on our Safari, rooms are basic but clean and comfortable, maybe a little dated but that did not really bother us too much, TV didn't work but we only attempted to try to use it on our last day there so didn't miss it much.
Showers were efficient and clean, our room faced the main road so was a little noisy and having to keep balcony doors shut meant the room got a bit stuffy at night although there was air con available.
Wi Fi wasn't very good, didn't work at all in room and only had limited signal downstairs in the reception area, again as we were on holiday we didn't need it so was OK for us.
Pool area was very pleasant, pool again a little dated but clean and useable, Hotel also holds other functions here so certain areas at certain times seem to be unavailable to rest of guests, a little annoying if you fancy a swim in the pool on a Saturday and there is a function on.

Food was very good in both the pool restaurant and the flame tree restaurant, pool food is slightly cheaper and more basic, a 3 course meal with a couple of cokes will cost you around £30 to £40 per head in the flame tree but the food is very good.
Beefburgers and sandwiches are excellent in both.

Breakfast is buffet style and most nationalities are catered for with a wide variety of choice, only one tiny negative here was that when we arrived later for breakfast one morning, the milk for the cereals was quite warm as it appeared to have been standing out for an hour or two.

House keeping in rooms good, towels changed regularily, overall service was very good, all staff are very pleasant, obliging and seem on the ball, security is good and place felt very safe.

Ideal place to start and end a safari, not too far from the airport, also seemed a popular place for business trips, we would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the main road are fairly noisy, the use of car horns can be very consistent especially dur...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lassie,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am glad to read that you appreciated our services. Our friendly staff strive to provide warm, welcoming, high standard service always, making your stay with us great. I'm excited to read that you enjoyed our prime location, rooms as well as the breakfast selection offered at the Flame Tree Restaurant. We do take guest feedback seriously and have noted your comments on the WIFI signals. We do understand the importance of technology in the current world and we have therefore taken steps ahead in improving the system so as to ensure higher broadband speeds and therefore provide efficiency to our guests accessing it. I’m certain the next time you visit, you’ll have no problem with the broadband connectivity & speeds. We have very stringent housekeeping procedures in terms of thorough inspection of rooms by the Executive Housekeeper and Supervisors. Accept my sincere apologies about the TV malfunctioning. This is definitely not in line with our brand standards and be assured that I have personally taken corrective action to rectify the situation and ensure it doesn't occur again. Please feel free to join our online conversation and stay updated on what's happening by following us on Twitter @sarovapanafric and share your positive Sarova Panafric experiences with the rest of the world.

Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This was my second stay at the Panafric Hotel. It is lovely and welcoming! The lobby is beautifully decorated in a lightly but not overdone ethnic style. The staff is very welcoming and helpful. We arrived at 10:30 pm, and were very hungry. The restaurant was closed, but they reopened for our group. The food is the best I've had while in Africa...completely up to Western standards. Breakfast is especially fabulous.
My room was clean and very nice. The bathroom was wonderful, even by American standards. The bed is extremely comfortable and there is a large nice TV. It is interesting to watch the African business channel. The WiFi works well.
The hotel is very safe. There are guards at the entrance gate. I had to pass through a key card entrance to get to my room so I felt very secure as a woman in a room alone.
FYI...when I was at the Panafric last year, my room was just down an open corridor and the bathroom was older and not as nice. I don't know if the hotel is being renovated or if I lucked out and got a better room this year, but you should definitely ask about the rooms behind the key card doors.
A tiny complaint...when we arrived, the lobby was quite crowded so we did not get the hot towels and fresh juice. After a 10 hour flight we missed that!

Room Tip: Be sure and ask for a room behind the glass front key card entry doors! More secure and newer bathro...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Der Suzy,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am glad to read that you found the staff very welcoming and helpful and the hotel lovely. Our friendly staff strive to provide warm, welcoming, high standard service always, making your stay with us great. I'm also excited to read that you enjoyed our clean and very nice rooms & wonderful bathrooms and got to indulge in the Business TV Channel. With our vast TV channel selection, we like to keep the guests up to speed with the happenings of the region & international arena while staying with us. Our flagship restaurant has top quality food and we're elated to note that you found our food up to the Western standards and enjoyed fabulous breakfast selection. Please feel free to join our online conversation and stay updated on what's happening by following us on Twitter @sarovapanafric and share your positive Sarova Panafric experiences with the rest of the world.

Sarova Panafric

Been to Sarova Panafric? Share your experiences!