“Elegantly ethnic” 5 of 5 stars

Seasonal Promotion $167
Ranked #20 of 100 hotels in Nairobi
“Elegantly ethnic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This was my second stay at the Panafric Hotel. It is lovely and welcoming! The lobby is beautifully decorated in a lightly but not overdone ethnic style. The staff is very welcoming and helpful. We arrived at 10:30 pm, and were very hungry. The restaurant was closed, but they reopened for our group. The food is the best I've had while in Africa...completely up to Western standards. Breakfast is especially fabulous.
My room was clean and very nice. The bathroom was wonderful, even by American standards. The bed is extremely comfortable and there is a large nice TV. It is interesting to watch the African business channel. The WiFi works well.
The hotel is very safe. There are guards at the entrance gate. I had to pass through a key card entrance to get to my room so I felt very secure as a woman in a room alone.
FYI...when I was at the Panafric last year, my room was just down an open corridor and the bathroom was older and not as nice. I don't know if the hotel is being renovated or if I lucked out and got a better room this year, but you should definitely ask about the rooms behind the key card doors.
A tiny complaint...when we arrived, the lobby was quite crowded so we did not get the hot towels and fresh juice. After a 10 hour flight we missed that!

Room Tip: Be sure and ask for a room behind the glass front key card entry doors! More secure and newer bathro...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Anthony N, General Manager at Sarova Panafric, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Der Suzy,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am glad to read that you found the staff very welcoming and helpful and the hotel lovely. Our friendly staff strive to provide warm, welcoming, high standard service always, making your stay with us great. I'm also excited to read that you enjoyed our clean and very nice rooms & wonderful bathrooms and got to indulge in the Business TV Channel. With our vast TV channel selection, we like to keep the guests up to speed with the happenings of the region & international arena while staying with us. Our flagship restaurant has top quality food and we're elated to note that you found our food up to the Western standards and enjoyed fabulous breakfast selection. Please feel free to join our online conversation and stay updated on what's happening by following us on Twitter @sarovapanafric and share your positive Sarova Panafric experiences with the rest of the world.

463 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We came late and during a chaotic time as the airport had just burned up. The Panafric was like a place of refuge. The staff was wonderful. The restaurant stayed open late and the food was excellent. The rooms were quite nice. We didn't stay long enough to experience all the amenities, but what we saw worked well for us. We had to meet people and conduct some business in the morning. The restaurant was very accommodating.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Roy,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am glad to read that you foudn our staff wonderful. Our friendly staff strive to provide warm, welcoming, high standard service always, making your stay with us great. I'm excited to read that you enjoyed our excellent food offered at the Flame Tree Restaurant. Please feel free to join our online conversation and stay updated on what's happening by following us on Twitter @sarovapanafric and share your positive Sarova Panafric experiences with the rest of the world.

Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Panafric was the starting place of our safari in Kenya. Relatively near the Airport, so no lenghty travels necessary after you arrive in Nairobi.

A nice entrance, friendly staff on reception. You get a welcomedrink and some wet towels to clean up. Checkin process was efficient

The rooms are simple but clean. A balcony is available if you prefer.

The restaurant is quite good, plenty of choices. Idem for breakfast.

Would definitely recommend to start your trip here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Anthony N, General Manager at Sarova Panafric, responded to this review, August 28, 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am glad to read that you appreciated the personalized touch in our service. Our friendly staff strive to provide warm, welcoming, high standard service always, making your stay with us great. I'm excited to read that you enjoyed our prime location, rooms as well as the breakfast selection offered at the Flame Tree Restaurant. Please feel free to join our online conversation and stay updated on what's happening by following us on Twitter @sarovapanafric and share your positive Sarova Panafric experiences with the rest of the world.

Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

AIRPORT COLLECTION:

Given the fact that the international airport had had a serious fire about a week before my collection, I was slightly nervous about the efficiency of the airport and the likelihood of me catching up with my Apple pickup. I needn’t have worried and the collection went perfectly take me down to the hotel for $40 which was added to my bill

HOTEL WELCOME:
As soon as I got out of the car, I was warmly greeted by management and reception colleagues even though it was around 11 PM. Importantly, I was greeted by name! Very impressive start to my trip

ROOM:

I was amazed an extremely grateful to have been upgraded to a beautiful suite which was overlooking the city of Nairobi on the 6 floor. There are, complimentary chocolates and fruit together with tea and coffee making facilities and freshwater which was replenished each day. There is well serviced minibar which isn’t ridiculously expensive either.
Each night, whoever was change my room down while stressing it with an animal made up and sprinkled with petals-very five-star. Boniface would arrive each evening to turn the rundown preparing for the night and was very engaging, very polite and seemed very proud of his position.
On each floor there is also a friendly security officer who is on duty 24 hours a day. The room was exceptionally comfortable-meticulously clean with flat screen TVs both in my lounge and bedroom and there was great viewing with the South African equivalent of sky, namely DSTV - no complaints-exceptional

DINING:

Breakfast was an array of all that you would expect from a hotel at this with great coffee and great food and great service. The staff also go the extra mile and always see things like “how did you sleep”-you really feel a part of the place. For dinner, I have the same everyday which I know is boring but I know what I like-tenderloin steak, medium with spinach.
Superb and at the end of each meal a questionnaire is given to you and introduce that they really want to keep the service standards high and appreciate valuable positive and negative feedback. Whilst I was there someone was also celebrating a birthday and they made a real fuss of them which was great

CLEANLINESS:

This hotel is spotlessly clean throughout-it’s a thankless task but one that is vitally important for any hotel

STAFF:

Throughout my stay I was most impressed by all the staff who were highly engaging and friendly

AMENITIES:

Okay-there isn’t a gym but I can live with that for a few days especially considering that there is a large outside swimming pool. Although this officially opens at 10 AM, I was swimming at 7:30 AM, at my own risk! This didn’t seem to be a problem.

CHECK OUT:

Despite me checking out at 5 AM, the staff were sharp and very polished. They recognised to I was straightaway and also invited me to visit the breakfast bar ahead of my pending departure at 5:15 AM. To my absolute amazement, breakfast was already fully set up and the staff were well prepared offering me anything I wanted and even coffee.

SUMMARY:

I have been visiting Nairobi since 1993 and I have finally found a place that I think I will probably stay from now on. The hotel is conveniently located, far away from the CBD to be peaceful but also well communicated and only five minutes from town by taxi. Importantly, there is very good parking, security and you really feel like you are at home and a welcome part of the establishment.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel again and I very much look forward to going there once again hopefully in November.

Thank you and well done to everyone who made my stay so enjoyable and I hope the above is a good reflection of what can only to be described as a perfect visit.

Thanks to Bevaline, Linda, Boniface and a lovely ladies/gents in the restaurant who always welcome me as if I was a long lost friend or family member. Thank you so much.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am glad to read that you appreciated the personalized touch in our service and engaging and friendly staff. Our friendly staff strive to provide warm, welcoming, high standard service always, making your stay with us great. I'm excited to read that you enjoyed the airport pick up, beautiful suite experience, extensive breakfast, cleanliness of the hotel and your overall experience. Please feel free to join our online conversation and stay updated on what's happening by following us on Twitter @sarovapanafric and share your positive Sarova Panafric experiences with the rest of the world.

Thank you for your recommendation and we appreciate each word.

We definitely look forward to hosting you again soon.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I stayed at Sarova Panafric for one night on my way through from Amboseli NP to the Masai Mara. The hotel is very good for that type of stay - the staff are friendly, most things are no fuss, the rooms are adequate (though I did have to call housekeeping for towels); the security is goo and the restaurant downstairs was really nice. It was pretty much exactly what you want from this sort of hotel - I'd have no problems recommending it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am glad to read that you appreciated the personalized touch in our service. Our friendly and attentive staff strive to provide warm, welcoming, high standard service always, making your stay with us great. I'm excited to read that you enjoyed our good security, as well as the meal selection offered at the Flame Tree Restaurant. It is great that your experience is exactly what you wanted from us and we were able to meet your expectations. Please feel free to join our online conversation and stay updated on what's happening by following us on Twitter @sarovapanafric and share your positive Sarova Panafric experiences with the rest of the world.

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

I was in Nairobi last monday for a few meetings. I stopped off at Panafric from the airport. The breakfast was great with the coffee outstanding. I like my medium roast coffee and your waiter recommended the breakfast coffee. I am a bit of a coffee snob and i must say i absolutely loved the full bodied medium acidity coffee that was served. The aroma and flavour was outstanding. Please advise where i can get this coffee from....i would really appreciate it. A big fan of Kenyan coffee now!

Stayed August 2013
Dear Kaval,

We're happy to read that you enjoyed your experience with us and that we were able to make your breakfast experience at the Flame Tree Restaurant exceptional.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am glad to read that you experienced fabulous Kenyan hospitality with us. Sarova Panafric is wholly committed to serve our guests exceptionally and ensure their stay is exceeding. We’re also elated to read that our coffee topped up your dining experience. We understand the importance of offering high grade coffee especially for our coffee-lover clients and ensure we serve excellently brewed coffee. We definitely are happy to recommend our Coffee which you can also purchase from the Flame Tree Restaurant.
• Espresso (Beans/Fine Grind): KES 700
• Gourmet (Beans/Medium Grind): KES 900

Please feel free to join our online conversation and stay updated on what's happening by following us on Twitter @sarovapanafric. Thank you for your recommendation and we appreciate each word.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Arrived early for check-in after the flight but was quite happy to wait, grab a coffee and some breakfast. I found out the next day that the breakfast had cost me over $50 for 2 people (buffet breakfast)...which when queried....staff seem to think that that's cheap.....I felt a bit ripped off....you can eat lobster in london for that price....but I'll let you be the judge of that.
In the centre of town, decent place with nice rooms.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Graham,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric. Our friendly and attentive staff strive to provide warm, welcoming, high standard service always, making your stay with us great. We have noted your concern on the breakfast costing, however, the Flame Tree Restaurant prides itself in having the best English buffet breakfast offerings in the city with an array of selection. I am more than certain the commendations on the breakfast as seen on the Trip Advisor reviews show the value for money. Having said this, we like to encourage our clients to inquire on the price of the various service offerings we provide, prior to consumption. This most definitely hinders any misunderstanding or surprises.

Thank you for your feedback and we definitely look forward to hosting you again.

Sarova Panafric

Been to Sarova Panafric? Share your experiences!