“extra charges!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 110 Hotels in Nairobi
Nairobi, Kenya
“extra charges!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Have been to these hotel many times with my friend!but the last time i was there last month was not happy especially at the restaurant.the food and drink charges that are charged separately at some point were not important!what i mean the person serving me will get my tip if only am satisfied by his or her services!its not the hotel to make me give the service charge even when i order food and it takes ages to come or be given what i had not ordered.i really hope they will remove the service charge and leave the rest for a guest to decide who to give the the service charge!i was also not happy at the bar when i asked the bar for red dry wine....and when the bill came it was all 660ksh for a glass and i took 3 glasses!its good to tell guests what kinda wine is there,for even customer care purpose!i will not complain on everything,the six floor room attendants are people to be with!all clean and superb!i will always love to stay at the six floor always and every time i visit sarova panafric!otherwise good job,apart from a few here and there!

Room Tip: 6th floor is place to be,facing the swimming pool!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Anthony N, General Manager at Sarova Panafric, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at Sarova Panafric with us. We do appreciate your feedback.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am glad to read that you found your 6th floor room clean and superb. Sarova Panafric is wholly committed to serve our guests exceptionally and ensure their stay is exceeding. Accept my apologies in regards to the lack of inquiring of which wine to offer you. This is not in accordance to our food & beverage standards and please be assured that I have looked into the same so as to ensure efficiency at all times. If you also would like to make a personal selection of wines, do not hesitate to ask for our expansive and rich wine list. I'm certain our mixologist will be more than willing to recommend you a fine blend. Please note that the service charge is a tax incorporated in the government taxes that is mandatory for all hospitality entities. This is included in the 28% statutory government taxes which goes directly to the government. Our prices are also tax exclusive which is equally indicated on all our menus so as to inform all guests and we've gone a further step to break the 28% statutory government taxes to our guests so that they can have a better understanding. I’m certain next time you visit, you won’t be caught by any surprises and we will definitely keep you engaged with the happenings at Sarova Panafric.

Sarova Panafric

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Polish first
Kalispell, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

On my recent trip to Nairobi, Kenya, I was pleased and very happy to stay at the Sarova Panafric. The service was amazing, sense of security was reassuring, friendliness wherever I went was real and not put on because it was expected of them. I cannot say enough good about it. GREAT!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Jolene,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We’re ecstatic to know that you enjoyed every element of your stay with us but above all, we’re elated that you enjoyed exceptional customer service and our security measures. Our staff strives to provide warm, welcoming service always, and making your stay with us, as you have stated, GREAT! Please feel free to contact us, in case of anything, the next time you'll be visiting as we always strive to make your stay better with us.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I had stayed in this hotel couple of time and its simply great place. This time due to back to back meeting I had to stay at Central business district . But I had taken my clients for dinner here. I had gone for set dinner menu here. This was dinner was simply great one.
This hotel has duty manager by name Mr Ephantus. Just meet him and he will take care of all your issues and will make you comfortable.

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We’re ecstatic to know that you enjoyed every element of your stay with us but above all, we’re elated that you enjoyed your dinner at the awards winning Flame Tree Restaurant. We pride ourselves as being the best continental restaurant in a hotel, following the Chef's Delight Awards. I have personally passed on your commendation tot he kitchen team as well as Ephantus. We always strive to provide warm, welcoming service always, and making your experience with us great. Please feel free to contact us, in case of anything, the next time you'll be visiting as we always strive to make your stay better with us.

Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is our second visit to Panafric Hotel. We Came for a meeting here and the staff was flexible enough to host the many extra people who were present. Meeting rooms are cozy Great food (but costly) and the staff is quite friendly!
The location is near town hence easy to access.
Keep up the good work..Kudos!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Anthony N, General Manager at Sarova Panafric, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Essie,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We’re ecstatic to know that you enjoyed every element of your stay with us but above all, we’re elated that you enjoyed exceptional customer service. Our staff strives to provide warm, welcoming service always, and making your stay with us great. Please feel free to contact us, in case of anything, the next time you'll be visiting as we always strive to make your stay better with us.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I had a breakfast meeting on friday morning at the Flame Tree Restaurant. My american colleagues and I had a fabulous Kenyan hospitality experience. The breakfast was very good and the service exceptional. This was all top off by the amazing coffee we had. I am more of a filter coffee man but my american colleagues like their espresso, cappuccino and latte - all of which were exceptional! Can you please let me know who the supplier of coffee is as my colleagues have asked me to buy some to take back to America! Thanks for the experience!

Dear Peter,

We're happy to read that you enjoyed your experience with us and that we were able to make your breakfast experience at the Flame Tree Restaurant exceptional.

It's great that you selected Sarova Panafric and I am glad to read that you experienced fabulous Kenyan hospitality with us. Sarova Panafric is wholly committed to serve our guests exceptionally and ensure their stay is exceeding. We’re also elated to read that our coffee topped up your dining experience. We understand the importance of offering high grade coffee especially for our coffee-lover clients and ensure we serve excellently brewed coffee. We definitely are happy to recommend the Safari Lounge Coffee which you can also purchase from the Flame Tree Restaurant.
• Espresso (Beans/Fine Grind): KES 700
• Gourmet (Beans/Medium Grind): KES 900

Please feel free to join our online conversation and stay updated on what's happening by following us on Twitter @sarovapanafric. Thank you for your recommendation and we appreciate each word.

Uxbridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I have been a very loyal customer of Panafric over the past 4 years. I have stayed there over 10 times.
Many of the staff that made the stay so enjoyable have been moved on to other branches of the hotel chain and not been replaced to the same standard.
Stiil the housekeping staff on the 6th floor are very good. Rachel contunues to be the star of the show and they keep my room spotless and always accomodate me if I need anything extra, such as water or shower gels. Eunice and Augustine were sorely missed however
The girls in the business centre are so polite and very helpful.
The restaurant was the biggest let down, for me.
I would always dine there on at least half the nights of my stay but this time only the first night.
The food and service of Roy and Annritsa, were a joy but now the staff seem to have very little character apart from the ladies who welcome you in to the restaurant.
They have totally changed the menu removing some of my favourite items such as the tomato and basil soup. The worst thing is that they have now decided to add a service charge for food and also service charge for drinks, which takes the final bill up by a lot.
It MUST be my choice if I leave a tip or not. It is not the hotels choice to charge me. The tips the customers used to leave was shared by the staff but now the management tell me that the staff see nothing of the serrvice charges. That is awful.
I sat at the bar with a client and ordered a passion juice and a beer. I was staggered to see I was charged both food service charge and also beverage service charge. When I asked why I was told they they don't stock juices in the bar and they got them frrom the restaurant so I had to pay both charges. Madness. it got worse when I stopped on my way in to take a cake back to my room. You should never charge service charge for take away food but they did.
On checking out out I was charged 200USD per night but my invoice showed 180USD. I had to open my laptop to prove it and was told that from now on I will be charged 200USD.
I am afraid I will try somewhere else from now on. It used to be so good.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms for pool view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Anthony N, General Manager at Sarova Panafric, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at Sarova Panafric. We do appreciate your feedback.

Sarova Panafric is wholly committed to serve our guests exceptionally and ensure their stay is exceeding. We're sad to hear about your latest experience while staying with us. Indeed, we encourage our guests to give us feedback so that we’re able to take up corrective action and appreciate every guest feedback and always strive to continuously provide excellent and up to date facilities that are suitable to guest needs. We recently revamped the Flame Tree Restaurant menu in order to offer to our guests a variety of dishes. Therefore, we have noted your feedback on some of the menu items and we shall look into it.

I do hope the next time your travels bring you to Nairobi, you will return to Sarova Panafric and be sure to let me know. It’ll be a pleasure to meet with you and for you to enjoy our good facilities, excellent restaurant and amazing staff.

Taunton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

This was my 3rd visit to this hotel over a period of 4 years and it seems to get better each time. The staff have become my friends and look after me as though I am family. Nothing is too much trouble and everything is done with a smile.
I should mention in particular, Monica (Restaurant Hostess), Lynnette, Lena, Yula 'Dr Benson' Jane, Judith, and all those who helped make my stay a pleasure. My apologies for forgetting so many names but they know who I mean.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We’re ecstatic to know that you have now clocked your third stay with us and enjoyed every element of your stay but above all, we’re elated that you have constantly enjoyed exceptional customer service. Our staff strives to provide warm, welcoming service always, and making your stay with us great and we're happy to hear Monica, Lynnette, Lena, Yula, 'Dr Benson', Jane, and Judith were of great help. I have shared your commendation with the team and they do appreciate. Please feel free to contact us, in case of anything, the next time you'll be visiting as we always strive to make your stay better with us.

Sarova Panafric

Been to Sarova Panafric? Share your experiences!