“Best so far in Nairobi” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 101 hotels in Nairobi
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Best so far in Nairobi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I was on a business trip to Kenya and stayed at the Sorova Panafric. The decor is modern and the hotel very inviting. Security is ample with checks at the door and a guard on every floor. Check-in was quick and the staff overall was very friendly. I believe the refurbished rooms are very modern, but I opted to stay in one of the older rooms as I wanted a smoking room. So no fault of the hotel here. Still the room offered everything I required. It was clean, with a comfortable bed and stocked minibar. The bathroom was good, maybe a bit small. However the water pressure was low at times, especially warm water in the morning. I have stayed at other hotels in Nairobi, and even with a few small issues the Panafric is still one of the best choices around. Wifi was excellent in my room (1st floor) and in the lobby.
At the same time I will also review the Flametree Restaurant. Just a word of advice - unlike a lot of other countries, Kenya does not show taxes to their menu list prices. This can add up to around an extra 28%, so for the budget conscious traveler this is adds additional third to your total bill. Breakfast was good with all the normal foods. Service was slow at times and they did get my order wrong once – but there is great manager working here by the name of Galgalo – he will sort out any issues very quickly. All in all the quality of food was very good and the prices justified for Nairobi. I used both the restaurant and room service - quality of food the same and service quick.
I will recommend this hotel any day for visitors to Nairobi. The traffic can be crazy at times, but the Panafric was central enough for all my meetings and in a good location. Will definitely use them agin on my next trip to Kenya.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Anthony N, General Manager at Sarova Panafric, responded to this review, June 12, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We're excited to note that you enjoyed your stay at Sarova Panafric, and enjoyed everything about the hotel. Most importantly, it’s great to note that you experienced excellent service during your stay and its great to note your appreciation for the food quality, prime location and newly refurbished rooms. Thank you for your feedback on the pressure water in your room. We greatly appreciate guest feedback and take all the actionable points seriously. Apologies for the slow service experienced. This is definitely not in accordance with our service standards and I'm glad to hear that the Flame Tree Restaurant Manager was able to help out with that. Please note that we also indicate and breakdown the government taxes at the bottom of all our menus so as to guide the client when purchasing. We strive to provide exceptional service to all our guests in order to make your stay with us great.

Thank you for your recommendation and we appreciate each word.

Please feel free to let me know about your next visit to Sarova Panafric. We definitely look forward to hosting you again.

459 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel while on holiday in Nairobi. It's conveniently located near the CBD. It's on Kenyatta Venue, which is bustling and during peak times you get to watch the bumper to bumper traffic, of which Nairobi is famous for. I was very suprised at the amount of security in and around the hotel. But after a few days you get used to it. The door man is very pleasant and after a day or two he would greet me by name. The rooms are are neat, clean and very comfortable. On my first night, I arrived back at the hotel at about 3am after sampling Nairobi's nightlife & was woken up by a lot of banging in the room next door at 8am. At first the lady I spoke to, Winnie, seemed to not understand my problem and told me that she couldn't help as there were no other rooms in the hotel.After making it clear to her that I wouldn't accept that and basically raising hell, I asked to speak to the general manager, they asked me to have breakfast while they see what they could do. After breakfast, a room on the top floor of the hotel, materialized and suddenly everyone became very apologetic and understanding.I didn't experience any other problems after this. The staff was now very helpful and I enjoyed the rest of my stay!

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Anthony N, General Manager at Sarova Panafric, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We're happy to note that you enjoyed your stay at Sarova Panafric, but most importantly, the service provided to you. We strive to provide exceptional service to all our guests in order to make your stay with us great. Apologies about the noise experienced from your room. I understand that this might have been inconveniencing to you. We were happy that our associates were able to be of help to you and make your stay more comfortable.

Thank you for your recommendation and we appreciate each word.

We definitely look forward to hosting you again.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I staved in the Sarova Panafric for a week between 12-19th May.
First to get the bad bits out of the way. The hotel could do with a bit of a refurb. There is a little bit of tiredness about the decor and facilities and the menu at the restuarant is quite small.
Also - and most annoying - the wifi is very patchy and weak, which made it a bit difficult to work in my room. And there are are not enough power outrlets in the room.
But those are the only negatives.
On the positive side the place is warm, friendly and convivial.
All the staff were courteous and approachable and would bend over backwards to help.
Within a few days they all knew my name and remembered it.
Most of the food was scrummy and the hotel is in a great location if you have meetings in the CBD.
It's also clean and secure - there's a security guard on every floor 24/7.
I really liked the little touches they had during my stay - especially the creative and artistic use of towels to create designs on my bed at turning down time.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We're happy to note that you enjoyed your stay at Sarova Panafric, but most importantly, found the service provided to you warm, friendly and convivial. We strive to provide exceptional service to all our guests in order to make your stay with us great and we're happy to note that our staff was courteous and approachable and would bend over backwards to help. We also understand the importance of technology in the current world and we therefore take steps ahead in improving the system so as to ensure higher broadband speeds and therefore provide efficiency to our guests accessing it. Apologies for the inconvenience caused due to the technical hitch but I'd like you to know that this has been sorted out.

Thank you for your recommendation and we appreciate each word.

We definitely look forward to hosting you again.

Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Panafric is a great option for the traveller who wish to stay close to the Central Business District while still enjoying an amount of tranquility away from the buzz of Nairobi.

Although its respectable age, Panafric has successfully adapted to increasing demands of business and private travellers alike. The rooms are modern and comfortable. The Flame Tree restaurant is excellent. But most of all, the staff at Panafric is of the utmost quality. Everyone, from the askaris and cleaners, to the waiters, conference managers and receptionists are going to great lenghts to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

The only things I find lacking is that there is no gym and that some of the common areas (such as the pool) would need a bit of refurbishment for the hotel to be among the best and most priceworthy in Nairobi.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Anthony N, General Manager at Sarova Panafric, responded to this review, May 17, 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We’re ecstatic to know that you enjoyed every element of your stay with us but above all, we’re elated that you enjoyed exceptional customer service. Our staff strives to provide warm, welcoming service always, and making your stay with us great. Thank you for your feedback on the gym. The plans are definitely in the pipeline to construct one in order to enhance our guests' stay. Once this is done, we will be sure to let you know of the developments. Please feel free to contact us, in case of anything, the next time you'll be visiting as we always strive to make your stay better with us.

London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

All staff were professional and well-mannered. Room service food was amazing, laundry service is above par (well folded and cleaned). Rooms are slightly old and have a 10+ year old tube TV. Ambiance is still really enjoyable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We’re ecstatic to know that you enjoyed the ambiance of your room. Its great to hear that our room service food was amazing as we thrive to offer our guests with unmatched dining experiences. We hope that next time you will get time to enjoy our succulent Ribs & Chops during our Wednesday Jazz Live and steak Fridays to a broader dinning experience.

Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

The Panafric has an excellent and well managed restaurant.
The food is well done and the steaks are to die for. Try the T-Bone steak. There is no greater T bone steak than this in Nairobi.
The restaurant also has a good ambiance and an excellent veranda seating

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Anthony N, General Manager at Sarova Panafric, responded to this review, May 9, 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We’re ecstatic to know that you enjoyed your meal at the Flame Tree Restaurant but above all, we’re elated that you enjoyed the Steak Friday promotion. Its great to hear that our steaks are the best steaks in town as we thrive to offer our guests with unmatched dining experiences. We hope that next time you will swing by for some succulent Ribs & Chops during our Wednesday Jazz Live.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I stayed in Sarova Panafric with my fiancé for 4 days.As soon as we alighted from the airport cab that brought us,we were welcomed at the door by a concierge in a colorful presumably national costume and once we got to the check-in desk we were offered napkins to clean our hands and a refreshing glass of apple and ginger drink.I was delighted at the reception.
I would like to find something to criticize but honestly I thoroughly enjoyed my stay in Sarova.Our room was on the fifth floor with a stunning view;very clean and stocked with mini toiletries in the bathroom,the food was delicious and plentiful,staff were so friendly and welcoming.There was a mini bar in our room stocked with delicious nibbles and drinks;and I have a sweet tooth!trust me,I kept them busy re-stocking that bar each day!The pool was clean and fair sized.
And the bed?so comfy,I was reluctant to leave it in the mornings...will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The fifth floor definately