“Amazing hospitality” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Along Valley Road, Nairobi 30486 - 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #20 of 115 Hotels in Nairobi
“Amazing hospitality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

The hospitality is what makes The Panafric standout. They don't just deliver good service, they make you feel welcome - from the moment you step out of the car and get a refreshing towel and drink. I felt very safe here the security is visible and the staff are diligent but never once did it feel like it detracted from my stay. In fact the security staff were very warm and always asked about my day when I returned. The housekeeping staff made sure I had everything I needed as did the concierge, the restaurant staff and reception. They even arranged for me to have the same taxi driver for the duration of my stay. The best part of my stay was the spa treatments with Sheila - she was AMAZING! She gave me the best pedicure and a few days later the best massage I have had in any country I have visited. If you are staying in the hotel don't miss an opportunity to visit Sheila at the spa and if you are visiting Nairobi check out The PanAfric - you will be 'most welcome'!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Anthony N, General Manager at Sarova Panafric, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review.

Our teams are elated to know that you enjoyed your stay as a result of their unmatched service. We’re also glad you were able to take advantage of the Spa and experience Sheila's expertise. Perhaps on your next visit you will get a chance of trying our recommended new therapy treatment so as to enhance your next visit. We take great pride in our top security systems and measures in place that reward our guests with the comfort of being in a secure establishment.

Thank you once again – your feedback has been appreciated by all!

Regards,

Sarova Panafric

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Polish first
Kampala, Uganda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I stayed at this hotel early last week for two nights with my husband. This was the second time in Nairobi as we had booked a two nights' stay in transit to the Mara for our anniversary.

The welcoming experience was quite professional with a personal touch. From the time we were picked up at the airport with their luxurious air-conditioned limo through to the drive in surrounded by the manicured gardens, we felt that we had made the right decision. Our driver, Paul, was courteous as he responded politely to all the questions my husband threw at him. Upon arrival, we were welcomed by the doorman and the ladies at the reception whose warm smiles made us feel at home. We didn't experience any check in delays as stated in some reviews; as a matter of fact, in between the warm eucalyptus-scented towels and fresh glass of juice, we barely noticed the check in process. The staff were very warm and friendly and in particular Yula who was charming as ever!

Our room was clean and spacious and faced the highway which made our stay even better due to the lovely and romantic scenic view of the city especially at night. The food at the Flame was great and we were lucky to be staying on one of the Wednesdays where they had the ribs and chops offer and some great cocktails. My husband had a black jack whipped up for him every day before dinner by the barman and till to date, he still goes on and on about it. The jazz band was amazing as well and kept us entertained through the evening. If there was ever somewhere we would come back for breakfast, it would have to be at the Panafric. The breakfast was one of the things we would look forward to every morning of our stay as the variety and offering was great!

We were sad to be leaving and even contemplated on staying on but our safari itinerary wouldn't cater to that. This is definitely a place we'd love to come back here for another stay.

I recommend this to anyone visiting Nairobi.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Roselyne,

We've already shared your magnificent review with our team here at Sarova Panafric, and I speak for all of us when I say that we’re honored and grateful – not just for choosing our Hotel, but also for taking the time to share your experience with us.

We're already looking forward to your return visit – January is an idyllic time to see Nairobi: the weather is gorgeous, and there’s plenty of opportunity to enjoy our historic sites if your schedule so allows. We take tremendous pride in what we do, and we’re elated to know that it shows.

Warm regards,

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 2 days to start our vacation in Kenya. We must say that we where very surprised because we really didn't now what to expect but the entrace and the total atmosphere from this hotel was very good. The staff is very friendly and the rooms where very clean. It is not so nearby the centre that you can walk but you can take a taxi. The food is very good and you have a lot of choice. If we visit Kenya again we would surely stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Anthony N, General Manager at Sarova Panafric, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

We appreciate your feedback and were glad to read that you found our location convenient, our hotel rooms to be very clean and that our services were professional. Sarova Panafric is committed to making your stay truly incomparable with the aim of making your stay a home away from home experience and one where you get superior service in a relaxed environment.

We truly look forward to hosting you once again.

Warm regards,

Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Given the price, we were not impressed with this hotel.

Check-in took an inordinate amount of time, particularly given we already had a confirmed booking and had previously supplied passport numbers etc.

The room was okay and very clean and the shower excellent, but there was no flywire over the bathroom window louvres so mosquitoes got it.

Unfortunately most of the area surrounding the pool was inaccessible for most of the day we were there, due to packing up from a function the night below (somewhat slowly) taking place.

No check-out time was mentioned upon check-in but we were asked to fill in our departure time (so listed our departing flight time of 16.15). The next morning, we received an abrupt telephone call at 10.30am asking whether we were checking out immediately or paying a surcharge for a late check-out - apparently check-out time is 10am.

Upon departure, the hotel concierge refused to book us a taxi (or provide us with a taxi company phone number) and would only offer their (expensive) airport transfer. We managed to find a reliable taxi company's number online and ring them ourself - so the taxi fare was USD22 instead of the hotel's USD50.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Anthony N, General Manager at Sarova Panafric, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear Jessica,

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay.

We are glad you enjoyed your room experience as we strive to make all guests feel at home at Sarova Panafric. It is also notable that you were delayed upon check-in. I apologize for this mishap in the service as we have standards and procedures that guide our teams on a flow less check-in process. I have fully investigated this and be rested assured that we have taken corrective action with the team.

In regards to the late check out, the standard hospitality check out time is 10a.m. It is indicated on your booking voucher as well as your room key card, directory of services and the in room channel so that guests can be well informed even after being briefed by the Guest relations Officer. Upon request for late check out, we have an extra charge which is standard across the hospitality board due to preparation of the rooms for the next guest checking in. However, next time you’re around, do not hesitate to contact me as I’m sure we can work something out. Our airport transfer service is an unusual offering among Nairobi City hotels and for a number of years it has proven to be tremendously well received and enjoyed by most guests. This is because of the importance in providing continuous convenience, and luxurious experience beyond the hotel for our guests. Of course, there are some who may wish to enjoy an ordinary taxi ride, as you did and in such cases, we request that you only let us know during your stay or in advance and one of our concierge or I would happily arrange the drop off for you. This also assures us that the guest is not inconvenienced in any way & safely arrives at their destination of choice.

I would very much like to meet you the next time you return and please feel free to contact me with details of your next visit on Anthony.Ngunga@sarovahotels.com. I am more than certain that we will definitely reach a point of understanding.

Once again, apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Yours Truly,

Anthony Ngunga,
Albury, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We spent a total of three nights here. The rooms are clean and of a medium standard. What makes this a great hotel is the downstairs bar and restaurant area and the wonderful friendly and helpful staff.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

We do pride ourselves on our friendly and efficient staff, so we're very glad they were able to get to know and assist you in any way possible. It's also great to hear that you enjoyed the Flame Tree Restaurant and bar. Next time you come around, be sure to also explore the Pool Garden Bar for an outdoorsy sun downer. Please stay in touch with us via Twitter so we can offer you the latest in Nairobi and the best rates for your return.

We do hope to welcome you again for your next stay.

Yours Truly,

Cape Town Central, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Very poor value for money. Rate is very expensive. Room is average. Walls are paper thin and through the extractor you hear everything from rooms around you Bed is hard but good. Linnen is old but clean. Food is average at most. Service is slow but friendly. Wi-Fi has very poor reception and very poor band width. Security seems OK.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased that during your stay you found our staff to be personable and helpful. We typically pride ourselves on the quality of our guest service, and receive great comments in that respect. About the We understand that it is essential for our guests to have restful nights while staying here and I sincerely apologize for the noise caused. Your feedback has definitely been taken into account and corrective action been carried out. I am also sorry for your experience with the linen. This should not occur at all as we have stringent housekeeping standards regulated by HACCP. I assure you that corrective measures to curb this from happening again have been implemented. At The Sarova Panafric, we always welcome guest feedback that in turn assists us to improve & perfect our guests' experiences.

I do hope the next time your travels bring you to Nairobi, you will return to Sarova Panafric and be sure to email me on anthony.ngunga@sarovahotels.com. It’ll be a pleasure to meet with you.

Warm Regards,

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My Colleague and I spent 6 nights at the Panafric. Lovely welcome, staff and security were great characters and they loved to chat and be helpful. Could mention many by name but as said all great. Restaurant was very good standard and no complaints with quality of food at any time of the day. Rooms were clean and good standard - again just remind yourself where you are - excellent value, hot water, clean and safe. (Was sorry to read about those who were robbed - can understand the frustration of this)

Sometimes the over protective staff told us not to walk too far from the hotel and take a taxi - no chance. My colleage and I walked everwhere (even after midnight) as the city centre was not far. Just met nice people and even when we jumped on a bus (great experience) during a heavy downpour they could not be more helpful.

Went to some pubs which would not be to everyones tastes maybe, but we got into the spirit of things and had funny experiences and times with the local fraternitiy who we spoke with, gave them respect and they returned the respect.

So overall I would go back to the Panaftric tomorrow - no problem. No real downsides and a lot to offer. Must admit we did not have time to visit the pool area but looked OK. Great location - I had a roon facing the main road and it was fine - not too noisy. We stayed on the 5th floor and the security guards were always there watching but again were friendly and we had a good laugh with them. OK 1 complaint - please get your wifi sorted!!

Maybe it is just a Scotish thing and we get on with everybody in the world but my colleague and I can't thank the Nairobi people enough for their kind hostitality and will have no hesitation in returning again and again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your great experience at Sarova Panafric on Trip Advisor. We do appreciate your positive feedback.

I am glad to read that you found our team members so welcoming. Sarova Panafric is wholly committed to serve our guests exceptionally and ensure their stay is exceeding. I have passed on your commentary to our team & they are very proud of the high quality food offering in both the Flame Tree Restaurant & Pool Garden Restaurant and maybe next time you're around, you can have time to dip in the pool. There is a lot more to come in terms of our culinary offering so I encourage you to keep coming back. Security of guests within Sarova Panafric is of utmost importance and we take pride in the security measures we have implemented. To this end, we have instituted stringent security measures without infringing on the comfort of our guests. This ensures our guests’ stay experience is not interfered with.

We also understand the importance of technology in the current world and we therefore took a step ahead in upgrading the system so as to ensure higher broadband speeds and therefore provide efficiency to our guests accessing it. Apologies for the inconvenience caused due to the technical hitch but I'd like you to know that this has been sorted out. Once again, we thank you for your feedback and are please you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Sarova Panafric

Been to Sarova Panafric? Share your experiences!