“Not impressed - room dated, early check out time” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sarova Panafric

You added Sarova Panafric to your Saves list
Sarova Panafric
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Along Valley Road, Nairobi 30486 - 00100, Kenya (Upper Hill Estate)   |
Ranked #20 of 129 Hotels in Nairobi
Australia
“Not impressed - room dated, early check out time”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Given the price, we were not impressed with this hotel.

Check-in took an inordinate amount of time, particularly given we already had a confirmed booking and had previously supplied passport numbers etc.

The room was okay and very clean and the shower excellent, but there was no flywire over the bathroom window louvres so mosquitoes got it.

Unfortunately most of the area surrounding the pool was inaccessible for most of the day we were there, due to packing up from a function the night below (somewhat slowly) taking place.

No check-out time was mentioned upon check-in but we were asked to fill in our departure time (so listed our departing flight time of 16.15). The next morning, we received an abrupt telephone call at 10.30am asking whether we were checking out immediately or paying a surcharge for a late check-out - apparently check-out time is 10am.

Upon departure, the hotel concierge refused to book us a taxi (or provide us with a taxi company phone number) and would only offer their (expensive) airport transfer. We managed to find a reliable taxi company's number online and ring them ourself - so the taxi fare was USD22 instead of the hotel's USD50.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Anthony N, General Manager at Sarova Panafric, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear Jessica,

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay.

We are glad you enjoyed your room experience as we strive to make all guests feel at home at Sarova Panafric. It is also notable that you were delayed upon check-in. I apologize for this mishap in the service as we have standards and procedures that guide our teams on a flow less check-in process. I have fully investigated this and be rested assured that we have taken corrective action with the team.

In regards to the late check out, the standard hospitality check out time is 10a.m. It is indicated on your booking voucher as well as your room key card, directory of services and the in room channel so that guests can be well informed even after being briefed by the Guest relations Officer. Upon request for late check out, we have an extra charge which is standard across the hospitality board due to preparation of the rooms for the next guest checking in. However, next time you’re around, do not hesitate to contact me as I’m sure we can work something out. Our airport transfer service is an unusual offering among Nairobi City hotels and for a number of years it has proven to be tremendously well received and enjoyed by most guests. This is because of the importance in providing continuous convenience, and luxurious experience beyond the hotel for our guests. Of course, there are some who may wish to enjoy an ordinary taxi ride, as you did and in such cases, we request that you only let us know during your stay or in advance and one of our concierge or I would happily arrange the drop off for you. This also assures us that the guest is not inconvenienced in any way & safely arrives at their destination of choice.

I would very much like to meet you the next time you return and please feel free to contact me with details of your next visit on Anthony.Ngunga@sarovahotels.com. I am more than certain that we will definitely reach a point of understanding.

Once again, apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Yours Truly,

Anthony Ngunga,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Polish first
Albury, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We spent a total of three nights here. The rooms are clean and of a medium standard. What makes this a great hotel is the downstairs bar and restaurant area and the wonderful friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Anthony N, General Manager at Sarova Panafric, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

We do pride ourselves on our friendly and efficient staff, so we're very glad they were able to get to know and assist you in any way possible. It's also great to hear that you enjoyed the Flame Tree Restaurant and bar. Next time you come around, be sure to also explore the Pool Garden Bar for an outdoorsy sun downer. Please stay in touch with us via Twitter so we can offer you the latest in Nairobi and the best rates for your return.

We do hope to welcome you again for your next stay.

Yours Truly,

Cape Town Central, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Very poor value for money. Rate is very expensive. Room is average. Walls are paper thin and through the extractor you hear everything from rooms around you Bed is hard but good. Linnen is old but clean. Food is average at most. Service is slow but friendly. Wi-Fi has very poor reception and very poor band width. Security seems OK.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased that during your stay you found our staff to be personable and helpful. We typically pride ourselves on the quality of our guest service, and receive great comments in that respect. About the We understand that it is essential for our guests to have restful nights while staying here and I sincerely apologize for the noise caused. Your feedback has definitely been taken into account and corrective action been carried out. I am also sorry for your experience with the linen. This should not occur at all as we have stringent housekeeping standards regulated by HACCP. I assure you that corrective measures to curb this from happening again have been implemented. At The Sarova Panafric, we always welcome guest feedback that in turn assists us to improve & perfect our guests' experiences.

I do hope the next time your travels bring you to Nairobi, you will return to Sarova Panafric and be sure to email me on anthony.ngunga@sarovahotels.com. It’ll be a pleasure to meet with you.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My Colleague and I spent 6 nights at the Panafric. Lovely welcome, staff and security were great characters and they loved to chat and be helpful. Could mention many by name but as said all great. Restaurant was very good standard and no complaints with quality of food at any time of the day. Rooms were clean and good standard - again just remind yourself where you are - excellent value, hot water, clean and safe. (Was sorry to read about those who were robbed - can understand the frustration of this)

Sometimes the over protective staff told us not to walk too far from the hotel and take a taxi - no chance. My colleage and I walked everwhere (even after midnight) as the city centre was not far. Just met nice people and even when we jumped on a bus (great experience) during a heavy downpour they could not be more helpful.

Went to some pubs which would not be to everyones tastes maybe, but we got into the spirit of things and had funny experiences and times with the local fraternitiy who we spoke with, gave them respect and they returned the respect.

So overall I would go back to the Panaftric tomorrow - no problem. No real downsides and a lot to offer. Must admit we did not have time to visit the pool area but looked OK. Great location - I had a roon facing the main road and it was fine - not too noisy. We stayed on the 5th floor and the security guards were always there watching but again were friendly and we had a good laugh with them. OK 1 complaint - please get your wifi sorted!!

Maybe it is just a Scotish thing and we get on with everybody in the world but my colleague and I can't thank the Nairobi people enough for their kind hostitality and will have no hesitation in returning again and again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your great experience at Sarova Panafric on Trip Advisor. We do appreciate your positive feedback.

I am glad to read that you found our team members so welcoming. Sarova Panafric is wholly committed to serve our guests exceptionally and ensure their stay is exceeding. I have passed on your commentary to our team & they are very proud of the high quality food offering in both the Flame Tree Restaurant & Pool Garden Restaurant and maybe next time you're around, you can have time to dip in the pool. There is a lot more to come in terms of our culinary offering so I encourage you to keep coming back. Security of guests within Sarova Panafric is of utmost importance and we take pride in the security measures we have implemented. To this end, we have instituted stringent security measures without infringing on the comfort of our guests. This ensures our guests’ stay experience is not interfered with.

We also understand the importance of technology in the current world and we therefore took a step ahead in upgrading the system so as to ensure higher broadband speeds and therefore provide efficiency to our guests accessing it. Apologies for the inconvenience caused due to the technical hitch but I'd like you to know that this has been sorted out. Once again, we thank you for your feedback and are please you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Holland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed there because we had to. We were on our way to Masai Mara en that was too far.
Downstairs it looks very beautiful and it is. It is very nice but when you come to your room it is a big dissapointment. The rooms are very small and old. The room was not very clean and the bathroom was not very much. Like I said it is good for one night but than you have to get the hell out of there.

Room Tip: pick another hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Anthony N, General Manager at Sarova Panafric, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

We’d like to thank you for your feedback; guest reviews are by far the most important reviews we receive.

We're absolutely saddened by your experience with your room. We apologize profusely. Not only do we want each guest experience to be seamless, but we also take cleanliness with the utmost seriousness. We can assure you that this is very out of character and that our team does take the utmost care with all products, not the least of which being rooms: our rooms are cleaned every single day and upon guest check out with standard, stringent and unbendable procedures. The guest rooms are then inspected by the Executive Housekeeper to ensure everything is in order. With that being said, we're certainly not making excuses, and we assure you this will never happen again. We hope you can trust our sincerity, and we thank you again for sharing this feedback with us as it has prompted us to be more diligent than ever.

We hope this initial experience will not deter you from staying with us again.

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

This hotel is ok for a overnight stop over. I have stayed there twice. The first room had a doggy shower and thew water went everywhere - think it was a dirty shower head but the second room was great. The foyer looks better than the rooms. The rooms are just average. The dinner in the restuarant was good and breakfast was great. Forget dinner by the pool. All took too long and one friend received a raw burger which after speaking with the duty manager was resolved to satisfaction. Would I stay there again - possibly.

Room Tip: rooms higher up might be safer
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your candid feedback on your stay at Sarova Panafric.

We’re happy to hear that you continue to return to Sarova Panafric and did enjoy your breakfast at the Flame Tree Restaurant. I am quite dismayed to hear about your shower experience. I apologize for this and would like to let you know that your feedback has been duly noted. You’ll be glad to know that my team and I are working on replacing the particular shower heads so as to ensure this doesn’t recur. It’s also with great concern to hear about your Pool Garden experience. I assure you that this is not in accordance to our standards and corrective action has been taken. We have definitely taken up your feedback to better our service and product and to ensure that your next stay is flawless.

We look forward to having you again.

Kind Regards,

Rego Park, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This was a great place until I got robbed out of my hotel safe. My coworker in another room was also robbed from his safe the same week so we are pretty sure we were right about what happened. The hotel called the police but of course we never got our money back because they said it was 'impossible' for anyone to get in. I say it was 'impossible' for me to mis-count the exactly four bills I had in the safe, two of which went missing. Also on 3 consecutive days, I had to tell the front desk that the cleaning people had left open my 1st floor window, facing a common garden, accessible by all guests and staff. Nothing else went missing but still this is a big oversight.

Other than that, it was a very nice place and the event we hosted there over 4 days went well. Sadly because of the security issue I can't recommend it.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Dear Margaret,

I would like to thank you for your recent stay at Sarova Panafric and would also like to express my sincere appreciation for your Trip Advisor review.

I am saddened to hear about your room experience. This is indeed quite surprising as we have stringent security procedures that see to our guests’ safe keeping. One of them being the safes provided in all our guest rooms that can only be accessed by the guest after inputting their personal code which we advice our guests not to share with anyone else. If at all one attempts to open the safe using the wrong code thrice, the safe locking system completely shuts down and only a special key, provided after the client reporting to the authorities, can be used to re-open the safe. As a standard procedure, we also like to involve the local police in any such cases so as to have a third party and official investigation. Immediately after you reported the loss, a thorough investigation was carried out by the Deputy Security Officer so as to uncover any theft. Following an official report from the Kenya Police, after interviewing you and your colleague, you both stated that you never at any one time left your safes open neither did you experience a technical problem with the safes. We greatly encourage our guests to counter check their expenses and receipts within and out of the hotel to ensure their spend and cash balance is in order.

We look forward to having you at Sarova Panafric the next time you visit Nairobi.