“Panafric - simply good value and nice service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sarova Panafric

You added Sarova Panafric to your Saves list
Sarova Panafric
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Along Valley Road, Nairobi 30486 - 00100, Kenya (Upper Hill Estate)   |
Ranked #19 of 124 Hotels in Nairobi
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Panafric - simply good value and nice service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My Colleague and I spent 6 nights at the Panafric. Lovely welcome, staff and security were great characters and they loved to chat and be helpful. Could mention many by name but as said all great. Restaurant was very good standard and no complaints with quality of food at any time of the day. Rooms were clean and good standard - again just remind yourself where you are - excellent value, hot water, clean and safe. (Was sorry to read about those who were robbed - can understand the frustration of this)

Sometimes the over protective staff told us not to walk too far from the hotel and take a taxi - no chance. My colleage and I walked everwhere (even after midnight) as the city centre was not far. Just met nice people and even when we jumped on a bus (great experience) during a heavy downpour they could not be more helpful.

Went to some pubs which would not be to everyones tastes maybe, but we got into the spirit of things and had funny experiences and times with the local fraternitiy who we spoke with, gave them respect and they returned the respect.

So overall I would go back to the Panaftric tomorrow - no problem. No real downsides and a lot to offer. Must admit we did not have time to visit the pool area but looked OK. Great location - I had a roon facing the main road and it was fine - not too noisy. We stayed on the 5th floor and the security guards were always there watching but again were friendly and we had a good laugh with them. OK 1 complaint - please get your wifi sorted!!

Maybe it is just a Scotish thing and we get on with everybody in the world but my colleague and I can't thank the Nairobi people enough for their kind hostitality and will have no hesitation in returning again and again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Anthony N, General Manager at Sarova Panafric, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your great experience at Sarova Panafric on Trip Advisor. We do appreciate your positive feedback.

I am glad to read that you found our team members so welcoming. Sarova Panafric is wholly committed to serve our guests exceptionally and ensure their stay is exceeding. I have passed on your commentary to our team & they are very proud of the high quality food offering in both the Flame Tree Restaurant & Pool Garden Restaurant and maybe next time you're around, you can have time to dip in the pool. There is a lot more to come in terms of our culinary offering so I encourage you to keep coming back. Security of guests within Sarova Panafric is of utmost importance and we take pride in the security measures we have implemented. To this end, we have instituted stringent security measures without infringing on the comfort of our guests. This ensures our guests’ stay experience is not interfered with.

We also understand the importance of technology in the current world and we therefore took a step ahead in upgrading the system so as to ensure higher broadband speeds and therefore provide efficiency to our guests accessing it. Apologies for the inconvenience caused due to the technical hitch but I'd like you to know that this has been sorted out. Once again, we thank you for your feedback and are please you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Sarova Panafric

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Polish first
Holland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed there because we had to. We were on our way to Masai Mara en that was too far.
Downstairs it looks very beautiful and it is. It is very nice but when you come to your room it is a big dissapointment. The rooms are very small and old. The room was not very clean and the bathroom was not very much. Like I said it is good for one night but than you have to get the hell out of there.

Room Tip: pick another hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Anthony N, General Manager at Sarova Panafric, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

We’d like to thank you for your feedback; guest reviews are by far the most important reviews we receive.

We're absolutely saddened by your experience with your room. We apologize profusely. Not only do we want each guest experience to be seamless, but we also take cleanliness with the utmost seriousness. We can assure you that this is very out of character and that our team does take the utmost care with all products, not the least of which being rooms: our rooms are cleaned every single day and upon guest check out with standard, stringent and unbendable procedures. The guest rooms are then inspected by the Executive Housekeeper to ensure everything is in order. With that being said, we're certainly not making excuses, and we assure you this will never happen again. We hope you can trust our sincerity, and we thank you again for sharing this feedback with us as it has prompted us to be more diligent than ever.

We hope this initial experience will not deter you from staying with us again.

Warm Regards,

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

This hotel is ok for a overnight stop over. I have stayed there twice. The first room had a doggy shower and thew water went everywhere - think it was a dirty shower head but the second room was great. The foyer looks better than the rooms. The rooms are just average. The dinner in the restuarant was good and breakfast was great. Forget dinner by the pool. All took too long and one friend received a raw burger which after speaking with the duty manager was resolved to satisfaction. Would I stay there again - possibly.

Room Tip: rooms higher up might be safer
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your candid feedback on your stay at Sarova Panafric.

We’re happy to hear that you continue to return to Sarova Panafric and did enjoy your breakfast at the Flame Tree Restaurant. I am quite dismayed to hear about your shower experience. I apologize for this and would like to let you know that your feedback has been duly noted. You’ll be glad to know that my team and I are working on replacing the particular shower heads so as to ensure this doesn’t recur. It’s also with great concern to hear about your Pool Garden experience. I assure you that this is not in accordance to our standards and corrective action has been taken. We have definitely taken up your feedback to better our service and product and to ensure that your next stay is flawless.

We look forward to having you again.

Kind Regards,

Rego Park, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This was a great place until I got robbed out of my hotel safe. My coworker in another room was also robbed from his safe the same week so we are pretty sure we were right about what happened. The hotel called the police but of course we never got our money back because they said it was 'impossible' for anyone to get in. I say it was 'impossible' for me to mis-count the exactly four bills I had in the safe, two of which went missing. Also on 3 consecutive days, I had to tell the front desk that the cleaning people had left open my 1st floor window, facing a common garden, accessible by all guests and staff. Nothing else went missing but still this is a big oversight.

Other than that, it was a very nice place and the event we hosted there over 4 days went well. Sadly because of the security issue I can't recommend it.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Anthony N, General Manager at Sarova Panafric, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear Margaret,

I would like to thank you for your recent stay at Sarova Panafric and would also like to express my sincere appreciation for your Trip Advisor review.

I am saddened to hear about your room experience. This is indeed quite surprising as we have stringent security procedures that see to our guests’ safe keeping. One of them being the safes provided in all our guest rooms that can only be accessed by the guest after inputting their personal code which we advice our guests not to share with anyone else. If at all one attempts to open the safe using the wrong code thrice, the safe locking system completely shuts down and only a special key, provided after the client reporting to the authorities, can be used to re-open the safe. As a standard procedure, we also like to involve the local police in any such cases so as to have a third party and official investigation. Immediately after you reported the loss, a thorough investigation was carried out by the Deputy Security Officer so as to uncover any theft. Following an official report from the Kenya Police, after interviewing you and your colleague, you both stated that you never at any one time left your safes open neither did you experience a technical problem with the safes. We greatly encourage our guests to counter check their expenses and receipts within and out of the hotel to ensure their spend and cash balance is in order.

We look forward to having you at Sarova Panafric the next time you visit Nairobi.

Warm Regards,

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

The Sarova Panafric is luxury for the traveller, with every amenity in the room. The safari-bound visitor gets a sendoff with an enormous breakfast buffet, with every imaginable taste and cuisine attended to. The only drawback was a rather cold swimming pool, and a tired locker room, where little attention was given to upkeep or amenities. A very pleasant lighter dinner, poolside, made up for this, with very attentive wait staff--in a rather deserted restaurant, looking like this hotel is mostly to launch visitors on their tours, rather than tend to their interests in town,

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor room with view of the city.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Anthony N, General Manager at Sarova Panafric, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review.

It’s a joy to receive glowing feedback from our guests, and especially as it pertains to excellent service and food. We pride ourselves on providing fantastic service, and we work each day to enhance the guest experience even further. Our Flame Tree Restaurant team is so excited that you were blown away by our enormous breakfast selection. We do understand that this is the most important meal of the day and therefore work effortlessly to ensure our guests fully indulge. Having a heated swimming pool is one of our long term projects and once this is done, we’ll be sure to let you know. Our Pool Garden Restaurant is mostly enjoyed by our clients who prefer an outdoor meal next to the pool especially at lunch hour as opposed to the hotel’s flagship restaurant, Flame Tree Restaurant that is normally a fan to many.

We hope to welcome you back again in the near future. It would be our pleasure.

Warmest Regards,
Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and I had a good stay in Sarova Panafric and the room was good and the breakfast was including different kinds of food. My problem was the travel agent, and thanks
for Ephantus who handled that at last. Thanks Sarova teem.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We’re ecstatic to know that you liked our rooms plus the delicious breakfast at The Flame Tree restaurant. But above all, we’re elated that you enjoyed exceptional customer service. Our staff strives to provide warm, welcoming service always, thus it's incredibly rewarding to know that a guest has experienced just that. Please contact our Central reservations directly the next time so that we can ensure you have seamless reservation made.

We do look forward to having you visit us again.

Regards,
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

My friends and I , totalling 4 in our group recently had 2 stays within this hotel 2 weeks apart and the stays could not be further apart in comfort and service. Our first stay over on the 21st Aug 2012 was excellent, having just flown in from Johannesburg we found our rooms on the 1st, and 2nd floors to be shabby but clean, the only problem being the shower head in my room sprayed everywhere but down. The restaurant on the other hand - FlameTree was very good and the service was impecable with the highlight being 'Joseph' the bartender making the best Bloody Mary's on the planet followed up by one of the biggest breakfast spreads I have seen for many years.
Our return visit 14 days later was a different story, whereby the service was extremely poor with food quality being questionable at best, infact it took the intervention of the Duty Manager to improve our overall visit. Our complaints were handled in a swift and dignified manner and resolved to our complete satisfaction. If staying overnight in Nairobi in future I would happily stay at this hotel

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Colin,

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback.

We’ve shared your tremendously helpful comments regarding the bathroom and meal experience with our management team. We’re pleased to inform you that we’ll be making some enhancements with our shower heads in the near future; we trust that our guests will be delighted with the results. It’s our goal to ensure that our product is always on par with our exceptional service. We know that guests have many options for hotels in Nairobi, and we'll work tirelessly to ensure Sarova Panafric is and remains the best. Thank you once for your fantastic feedback, which we'll use to improve each and every day.

We do look forward to having you and your friends visit us again.

Regards,
Anthony Ngunga

Been to Sarova Panafric? Share your experiences!