“Nice but noisey” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 106 Hotels in Nairobi
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
“Nice but noisey”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

A really nice hotel, good food, friendly staff, nice rooms but unfortunately very noisy and despite rasing complaints this continued from 3am for 4 nights consecutively and even good foood and comfortable rooms don't make up for a disturbed slumber.

Room Tip: Avoid 3rd floor, East facing, the kitchen below works 24/7
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Anthony N, General Manager at Sarova Panafric, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear James,

Thank you for sharing your feedback and taking time to review your stay at Sarova Panafric.

It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay and found the room clean and comfortable, enjoyed the food from our Flame Tree Restaurant and that our friendly staff provided excellent service to you. I am however very disheartened to read about the noise around your room. We have looked into this and boiled down to the root cause of the matter. Kindly note that this has been resolved within so as to ensure our guests receive adequate rest each night without disturbance and I assure you that you shall not experience this the next time you visit.

We look forward to welcoming you again.

Kind Regards,

Anthony Ngunga,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Polish first
Abeokuta, Nigeria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

Was here for a two day conference nearby. Check in was very smooth. Very good security system. Breakfast is very rich. Dinner always a little bit slow in coming. Very welcoming and polite staff. Not much to complain about.

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Fidelis,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

I am happy to note that you enjoyed the smooth check in; we strive to ensure that our guests are in their hotel room as fast as possible so as to ensure their stay begins well. It is also great that you enjoyed the rich breakfast from our Flame Tree Restaurant and are absolutely elated that you enjoyed exceptional service from our welcoming & polite staff, just as it should be! We ensure that all our guests feel like “royalty” from the moment they arrive at Sarova Panafric throughout their stay. Apologies for the delay you experienced at the restaurant. Just as you were offered speedy check in, so it should be in all our services. I have taken this up as it shouldn’t be the case and are working with the relevant teams to resolve this issue immediately.

We look forward to the chance to host you again in the future.

Regards,

Lagos
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

Arriving the hotel in their old shuttle bus from airport and entering through an incline via a petrol station makes one apprehensive of what to expect on arrival. Staff are however very naturally friendly, smiling and heartily welcome you allaying most fears when you get to the small lobby. A cold drink, hot towels and porters made you feel like a king, ushering you to modestly furnished very clean rooms. The beds were good, the in room facilities great and the restaurant has a good variety of fine cuisine. The rooms had good plasma flat screens but the TV/cable stations were quite limited. The rooms were poorly soundproof and you could hear people in adjacent rooms use their bathrooms or staff cleaning the corridors. Views from the rooms were good the eating areas and the pool were super. I surely would love to stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Femorata,

Thank you for taking your time to write your review on your stay at Sarova Panafric.

We're very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your feedback on our staff; we do pride them on their friendliness and attentiveness, so it is wonderful to know that you enjoyed their services and they were able to make your welcome experience comforting & exceptional. We also strive to ensure that all our guests feel like “royalty” from the moment they arrive at Sarova Panafric through subtle but impactful gestures such as the freshly squeezed juices & hotel towels through to the rest of their stay. We're glad you fully enjoyed your room and were able to take advantage of all the value adds. Thank you for the feedback on the sound proof limitation as it has aided me to take up a corrective action of the same. Here at Sarova Panafric, a guest’s peace & calmness is very important for us. It is great you enjoyed the view of the city from your room; it is indeed quite a remarkable view and as you mentioned, the Flame tree Restaurant & Pool Garden Restaurant are a super choice for those who wish to grab either a heavy meal or a quick and light bite respectively.

We're glad you would love to come back to Sarova Panafric and are definitely looking forward to welcoming you again.

Yours Truly,

Anthony Ngunga
Stockport
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Have stayed at this hotel 3 times in the past. On this occasion - I arrive late, tired and stressed. I asked the reception staff what time the bar closed and got three different answers.

The rooms are satisfactory although a bit dated and towels are well past their best.

The internet generally worked well throughout the hotel and was free. However I continually got messages that too many people were currently subscribed and thus unable to logon. I suspect the locals also use it on their smartphones. It took 3 calls to reception to overcome this with the usual "I'll call you back" - not happening.

The restaurant is excellent. The food quality is good, excellent variety and the service is wonderful.

The spa/health club is in another block and first impressions are poor. But the options offered and good and reasonably priced.

On departing - I had a further problem in that I needed to get a taxi to go to the airport.
The doorman indicated that I needed to ask at reception. The receptionist tried to sell me their shuttle service at a charge of USD 50 - which I declined on the basis that a taxi is only USD 20 and I wanted to go now. The receptionist refused to call me a taxi and referred me to the duty manager - who also refused. No reason was offered and his attitude was disgraceful. I was forced to walk out of the hotel carrying my luggage, down the hill, through security and get a taxi at the street - which thankfully was easy. I have sent letters of complaint to the hotel who have responded but failed to address the discourtesy of the hotel manager.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear David,

Thank you for taking your time to review your stay at Sarova Panafric.

We are happy to hear that you do opt to stay at Sarova Panafric once in a while and continuously welcome you as a member of the Sarova Panafric family. We’re also elated that you experienced wonderful service in our Restaurant & Bar and will definitely pass on your compliments to the respective teams.

In regards to the shuttle services, I feel fortunate that my team was able to meet with you during check out as well as reach you over the phone to further clarify the matter. I agree with you wholeheartedly that, as a Sarova Panafric guest, dragging your suit case outside the hotel to go fetch your own cab was uncalled for and we are very sorry about that experience. Our airport transfer service is an unusual offering among Nairobi City hotels and for a number of years it has proven to be tremendously well received and enjoyed by most guests. This is because of the importance in providing continuous convenience, and luxurious experience beyond the hotel for our guests. Of course, there are some who may wish to enjoy an ordinary taxi ride, as you did and in such cases, we request that you only let us know during your stay or in advance and one of our concierges or I would happily arrange the drop off for you. This also assures us that the guest is not inconvenienced in any way & safely arrives at their destination of choice.

I would very much like to meet you the next time you return and please feel free to contact me with details of your next visit on Anthony.Ngunga@sarovahotels.com. I am more than certain that we will definitely reach a point of understanding.

Once again, apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Yours Truly,

Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Very secure, good breakfast spread, lovely restaurant, good ambience, friendly staff, beautiful pool and also centrally located. You couldnt ask for more in Nairobi if you choose to come here. Problem is that reservations are difficult to get at times. Rooms are clean and the view of the central business district from the balcony is a very different feeling.

Room Tip: Ask for poolside rooms but the roadside ones are not too bad either
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Dear Sundar,

Thank you for staying with us for your Nairobi visit.

We're more than glad to hear you were able to enjoy our swimming pool facility & ambience of the entire hotel. We do pride ourselves on our very friendly and attentive staff, so it's wonderful to know it made a difference in your stay. I’m also glad that you enjoyed our very central and safe location as well as the clean, comfortable rooms with a great view of the city. Our continental breakfast is designed to cater for our clients diverse tastes and we’re elated that you did enjoy it. I shall definitely pass on your kind words to the chef and the entire team. We apologise for the delay in contacting our reservations team which is quite unusual as we have our well staffed team always on standby to receive guests’ bookings. Please contact our reservations team that is always on standby directly on next time so that we can ensure your reservations experience is efficiently met.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you for your next trip to Nairobi City!

Best wishes from the entire Sarova panafric Team.

New Delhi, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

We used this essentially as a pit-stop between a drive back from Amboseli and another to Mara. A standard business hotel, minus the character of the other Sarova properties. The check-in process was long and tedious, especially after a long drive from Amboseli, and negotiating the nerve-wracking Nairobi traffic.

The rooms are decent-sized for two people, but distinctly cramped for a family of three.

The buffet breakfast spread was superb.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write your review.

It is great to note that you enjoyed our Flame Tree Restaurant’s buffet breakfast and will pass on your positive remarks to the chef & team. I’m sorry to hear you experienced some inconvenience regarding the check in process. Please be rested assured that I have relayed this helpful feedback to our front office team and implemented measures that will curb this situation. About the room, please note that we do have provision for our clients who opt to share rooms. Please feel free to share your preferences with the Manager on duty or our reservations team early enough next time so we can make your stay even more unforgettable.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you again.

Kind Regards,
Strassen, Luxembourg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

The hotel as such is a bit and needs renovation. This seems to be ongoing. Some public areas have been given a lifting and from my understanding the rooms are getting a similar treatement. I did not get a renovated room.

The room was nevertheless comfortable and I had a very good (but short due to my early departure) rest.

The personal at the hotel is very kind and makes the stay particularly pleasant.

Wifi in lobby and rooms are convenient.

Prize tag is competitive.

For the location you will need a cab to go to the city centre, but it is easy to get around from there throughout the whole city.

The transfer to and from the airport is not cheap (25 usd per person) but very comfortable.

All in all a good hotel. I would return.

• Stayed June 2012
Dear Pabo,

Thank you for your review on Sarova Panafric. On behalf of Sarova Panafric, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking the time to give us your feedback

I am happy to see you were able to take advantage of all our elements, such as the central and convenient location, and friendly staff. We are glad you enjoyed our airport transfer limo services designed to provide continuous convenience, and luxurious experience beyond the hotel for our guests. I have shared your review with my team; it is the feedback from our guests that enables us to make improvements each day, both within our property as well as amongst our staff. We take each word to heart!

We look forward to having you again and even more, make your next stay even more enjoyable.

Regards,
Anthony Ngunga,

Been to Sarova Panafric? Share your experiences!