“Excellent Hotel for Nairobi Visit” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Seasonal Promotion $167
Ranked #20 of 100 hotels in Nairobi
Negril, Jamaica
“Excellent Hotel for Nairobi Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Sarova Panafric Hotel in preparation for our departure from Kenya after a two week safari tour. The lobby is classy. Our room was clean and the balcony had a view of the city. Our room had no maintenance issues and the staff was very helpful. The hotel’s customer service representative “Felix” gave us a very good idea of how to travel safely in the city of Nairobi and what to expect from other service providers (taxi cabs, restaurants, general peddlers). The complimentary breakfast was excellent. An electronic safe was provided with our room, so valuables seemed secure. I had to contact the front desk a few times to get my free wifi working, but it only took a couple of phone calls to get it sorted out. Security is similar to what you would find at an airport, so expect to spend an extra minute entering and exiting the building, which seems like a minimal hassle to ensure your safety.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

463 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

This hotel is busy and central, but very good value compared to what is around it, and has a very nice pool area, a great terrace bar and dining area. Front desk staff can be a bit overwhelmed and slow, but they try hard and there is security on each floor which was appreciated.

Wifi was reasonably good for Nairobi.

Traffic is getting horrendous in Nairobi - we tried to leave for a flight from this area after rush hour to get to the airport for a midnight flight and after four hours of not moving more than 250 years, we gave up and rescheduled our flight ... this is a busy area and when it rains you are STUCK -.... so be careful.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Larnaka, Cyprus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

I stayed here for the 6th time at the beginning of March and was apalled to be given a room with no hot water after having the same problem on my previous visit. After further problems i said i would not go back but the manager came and was very apologetic, which I appreciated.
My plans changed and I needed to go back to Nairobi for 3 nights. I decided to give them another chance as my first 4 visits were outstanding
I must say that they listened to any complaints and acted on them
My stay was excellent. A special mention has to go to the room cleaning team. So polite and helpful and always with a smile on their face. Especially Augustine . Always laughing and happy to help at any time.
I had a back problem when I arrived but Helen and Jane in the Tulia Spa are as good as it gets. I have not come across better masseusse on my travels. Their knowledge is the best and they put me back together. If you stay here you must try a massage there. Very reasonable prices too.
All in all I had a great time and will certainly continue to stay here. Close to town and the Flame tree restaurant is one of the best in town. Try the lamb shank or the curry.
Thank you for bringing the hotel back where it belongs

Room Tip: even the standard rooms are very good. No excess noise from anywhere
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
AnthonyNgunga, General Manager at Sarova Panafric, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Dear Cyprus,

I would like to thank you very much for staying with us on several occasions and taking the time to share your feedback on trip advisor concerning your stay at Sarova Panafric.

We are dedicated to making your stay here incomparable and it is indeed great to note that you appreciate a lot of what we offer. Your compliments on our services most especially our top notch spa, Tulia and the Flame tree restaurant are highly welcomed. We indeed do try our level best to provide unmatched services to our guests and pride ourselves to be . I shall pass on your generous feedback to my team and most especially Augustine & the masseuses.

We look forward to welcoming you back as you are part of the Sarova Panafric family and we are always happy to host you and make each and every stay with us memorable.

Warm Regards,

Versoix, GE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

If you are coming to Nairobi for a meeting, you should look no further. I've just completed a two-day, 80 pax meeting here. Meeting rooms have natural light, good wifi connectivity but, yes, you can find that elsewhere. The difference here that blew me away was the extraordinary level of service from EACH and EVERY staff person here. The technician, business centre, floor managers, duty managers, security guards, reception, concierge were all incredible helpful, cheerful and responsive. All I had to do was LOOK worried, lost or flustered and they would immediately rush to see what they could do to help. There were the simple things like when the floor security guard saw me come out of my room in the morning, he would call the elevator. There were the major things like when they spotted a known pick-pocket among our crowd and made sure he left the premises. All our last minute requests they made happen. They organized a fixed menu dinner for 30 pax in two hours. They accommodated a morning Press Briefing in 10 minutes.
When I asked how long staff had been in the hotel, most said 3 years or longer. They said that it was a hotel that took care of them so they were happy to take care of their guests. It showed.
Bedrooms were nice - special perk included the ironing board and iron in the closet! Good wifi connection in the rooms for free. 40 guests staying in the hotel and not a single complaint about the rooms. The juices are delicious, if a bit pricey. Buffet lunches in the garden by the pool were lovely. In-house band played at the reception that we held and it was fun. Awesome lap pool. Well located.

Room Tip: 5th or 6th floor
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear Blitz,

Thank you very much for sharing your great experience at Sarova Panafric on Trip Advisor. We do appreciate your positive feedback.

I am glad to read that you found our team members so welcoming. Sarova Panafric is wholly committed to serve our guests exceptionally and ensure their stay is exceeding. I have passed on your commentary to our team & they are very proud of the high quality food offering in both the Flame Tree Restaurant & Pool Garden Restaurant. There is a lot more to come in terms of our culinary offering so I encourage you to keep coming back. Security of guests within Sarova Panafric is of utmost importance and we take pride in the security measures we have implemented. To this end, we have instituted stringent security measures without infringing on the comfort of our guests. This ensures our guests’ stay experience is not interfered with.

We also understand the importance of technology in the current world and we therefore took a step ahead in upgrading the system so as to ensure higher broadband speeds and therefore provide efficiency to our guests accessing it. Once again, we thank you for your feedback and are please you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

Stayed here two nights at Easter. I got an offer through a web-agency, and paid USD 300, which I think is good for this hotel. We were welcomed by fruit-juice and wet towel, which is nice and also common in many hotels. The room was good, with a comfy bed, fresh flowers, balcony with garden view, and it is was clean. Wifi worked very well. The breakfast was very good, tasty, various and plenty. We had pizza in the night, and because it took some time, we were surprisingly offered soup free of charge while we were waiting. The location is good if you are going on safari or the other tourist-stuff.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
San Salvador
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

The hotel is centrally located in Nairobi. The security and safety in the hotel is very palpable, yet not intimidating. The room is above average in size, yet the decor of the room is dated. The balcony overlooking the city center is a great perk of the rooms. The restaurant service is very efficient and the food quality is very good. Breakfast service is comparable to other four stars hotels in the city. The message service is very professional and the rates are competitive compared to other services in the hotel. The free internet is very spotty and intermittent, it got so bad that at one point I almost decided to change hotels. The transportation service from the airport was professional, yet upon departure, the driver dropped me in the wrong terminal, probably a rookie driver on his first early morning shift.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dear Martin,
On behalf of Sarova Panafric, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking the time to give us your feedback on trip advisor regarding your experience.

We are dedicated to making your stay here incomparable and I am glad you appreciate the location as it provides our guests with convenience to carry out their activities within the city centre while presiding in a tranquil environment. It was also good to read that you enjoyed the spacious rooms and our message services. We sincerely apologize for the internet let down. After thorough investigation, please note that this was due to a technical fault and all has been sorted to provide our guests with high speed broadband. Also accept our apologies for the service lapses that you experienced with the airport transfer. Your comments will be used as a training tool for our team so we can do a better job of meeting and exceeding our guests’ expectations.

We look forward to seeing hosting you again.

Warm Regards,

Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

Ended up here because our favoured hotel was full.

Plus points:
Just marginally out of town, and up on a hill - better location than many
Not too far from town - walkable (but unwise at night)
Good security
Food good if mainly international, wide variety, good breakfast
Room clean and efficient, if a bit tired

Minus points
Checkin and Checkout both slower than need be (in both cases no queue, but errors and delays on the part of the hotel), though nice to be given hot towel and fresh juice
Food a bit pricey
Hotel guide folder in the room very shoddily proofread with major errors, makes the whole organisation look unprofessional (Check the safety hints page for the worst)
International and impersonal, not much feeling of individuality - compare with some other top Nairobi hotels

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sarova Panafric? Share your experiences!