“OK” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 103 Hotels in Nairobi
Windhoek, Namibia
“OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Stayed at the hotel for one night en route to Amboseli. The room was fine, quite small with an adequate bathroom. The decor was dated but renovations were being carried out in some areas of the hotel. The lobby had been refurbished but the dining area and pool side looked quite shabby.
Breakfast was buffet style with eggs made to order and fairly standard fare with a very poor fruit selection judging by all the fruit on sale throughout the country.
Dinner was fine and I must say the staff in the restaurant were very helpful and welcoming. The location was good if one wished to be close to the CBD.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
AnthonyNgunga, General Manager at Sarova Panafric, responded to this review, February 9, 2012
Dear RJ,

Thank you for taking the time to review Sarova Panafric.

We are delighted to know that our staff were helpful and provided you with excellent service. I have reviewed your comments would like you to know that we do take all comments seriously and appreciate your feedback on the selection of fruits. As a management team, we value our guest’s experience and feedback and share them with our staff, so we may resolve any issues and improve upon our service standards. I assure you that the food & beverage manager is currently looking into our breakfast offerings to better suite our guests. About the renovations, as a matter of fact, the hotel continues to remodel and we have just completed updating the fifth guestroom floor of the hotel with the other two to be completed in the coming months. I’m sure the next time you visit, you’ll experience a much more comfortable accommodation experience to complement our first-rate amenities.

We hope to see you again very soon for your next visit to Nairobi.

Sincerely

Sarova Panafric

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Polish first
Newcastle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

We stayed at the Panafric for 3 nights before our safari. It was clean but in need of an upgrade.It was supposed to be superior room- I'd have my doubts about a standard one.Two nights would have been plenty in Nairobi- we ran out of things to do! We were able to walk up the main street into the city centre during the day but wouldn't attempt it at night. Our room was very noisy as there was a wedding on the outdoor area below our room on one night and a New Years Eve party on another. The place didn't seem full but the office staff didn't seem concerned when we mentioned our lack of sleep and didn't offer to move us.Also staying at the front of the hotel meant we had very bright blue lights hanging outside our window which made it even harder to sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Larnaka, Cyprus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

I have stayed there 3 times now and will return again in March 2012 when business takes me to Nairobi. The restaurant is outstanding. The staff are very polite and helpful. Whenever I have had a problem is attented too and dealt with in an efficient manner. Helen the masseuse in the spa is superb. I had a back problem which she dealt with using reflexology and also gave me extra back stretches. Very reasonable charges.
I found the rooms to be modern and well equiped.The Sarova hotels are my choice in Kenya and move on to Whitesands in Mombasa after Panafric. Heaven.
Martin Clark

Room Tip: I found all the rooms to be good
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Dear Martin,

Thank you for taking the time to write an amazing review on Sarova Panafric on Trip Advisor.

We are thrilled we were able to accommodate you all the three times you’ve visited Sarova Panafric and make you feel at home and our team members will be pleased to know they were of assistance. We pride ourselves on not only having quality spa treatments with contemporary amenities, but also skilled masseuse. I shall definitely pass on the compliment to Hellen for the job well done as well as the rest of the team. Indeed you are part of the Sarova family and we are looking forward to your return visit.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here, went out of the room briefly, all my money was stolen over hundreds of dollars, hotel Security claimed no one went in or out but one manager told me the hotel staff is in on it together, and that they were giving me the run around with police reports and such. Head of operations then threatened me if I took it any further telling me bad things would happen to me if I kept demanding a refund. Then refused to accommodate me any further and asked me to leave the property leaving me stranded and cashless in the country.

In short BEWARE THIS HOTEL AND DO NOT STAY HERE. YOU WILL PAY DEARLY. The owner, management, and others are running a racket where they will steal your valuables from bags and safes.

• Stayed January 2012
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

I last stayed at this hotel in December 2009, and the rooms have since been redone, the furnishings are more modern, and the bathrooms have been upgraded. This hotel is centrally located and one can easily access the city centre as well as most of the residential areas from it. The service, was good and dinner at the flame tree is always a nice treat.The one disappointment was they no longer have a taxi service available at their door-step or an airport shuttle and instead offer an expensive limo service to get to the airport which runs at the equivalent of $40.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the positive Trip Advisor review on Sarova Panafric.

We are happy to note that you enjoyed your stay while in Nairobi. We strive everyday to deliver the type of service you have described in your review. One of our key advantages is our prime location that provides our guests with convenience to carry out their activities within the city centre and amidst the busy environment, also provide them with a serene & tranquil environment, while at the hotel. Intense renovation activities were carried in order to cater to our guests’ needs. We apologize if there was any misunderstanding regarding the airport transfer fees. Our airport transfer fees are comparable to other hotels in the area, but we do want you to know that we can arrange an affordable package that feature the same. Thank you again for your thoughtful review and we hope to welcome you back again.

See you soon.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

As Nairobi is currently experiencing amongst the worst traffic on the planet right now, this hotel is nicely situated just outside the CBD avoiding the worst of the congestion and has 'relatively' easy access to all of Upper Hill area. I stayed here for 4 nights and the standard rooms are over priced and a little dated. The noise from (a) the main road (b) the function rooms and (c) the kitchen make sleeping a challenge - thank God for silicone ear plugs. My bathroom was small, no bath and just adequate. Rooms were made up perfectly everyday and staff is just so pleasant and even gave little tips about what to do in Nairobi. Check in staff is a bit hit and miss.

Also there's a security guard on every floor which should make you feel more secure but just reminds you that Nairobi's not a safe place.

The restaurant is really very nice, a varied international menu and good quality enjoyable food. It feels like a relaxing garden even though it's quite close to the road. The pool is big and pleasant and pool facing rooms are more expensive but worth it for the peace and quiet, if your budget can stretch that far.

I've been in the hotel several times now and the conference rooms are always very busy; they're on the 1st floor tucked away from the busy foyer. There's always lots of people coming and going in the hotel as a result so it feels like lots is happening. If you want to hold a meeting there in any of the rooms prepare to be RIPPED off. Again their conference package is over priced - but this is Nairobi and unfortunately a lot of hotels are this way. The business centre is small but serves it's function perfectly and is a little expensive. The bar is a bit of a non bar just off the restaurant and is more like a corridor leading from the lobby into the restaurant.

Remember that this is a business hotel and not really suited to a holiday or a break. On the whole I had a pleasant stay and thought that the hotel was just OK.

Room Tip: Upgrade or your room will face that noisy street and could possibly be over the kitchens which start...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
AnthonyNgunga, General Manager at Sarova Panafric, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Sarova Panafric!

I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us and posting the review of your stay on Trip Advisor.

I am extremely pleased to note that Sarova panafric is the hotel of your choice for your repeat visits. I have also noted your positive feedback on Flame Tree Restaurant, the gardens, the location of Sarova Panafric and other services of the hotel the service. Your sentiments have been shared with the staff who take tremendous pride in the guest service that they provide. I have also noted the feedback on Noise, price and the bar and the front office experience and assure you that it will get my personal attention for best resolution. We have carried out rigorous work during the hotel’s phase I renovations of the lobby and guest rooms and I am glad to state that we are currently undergoing the phase II of the renovations that will standardize all our guest rooms to suit our five star amenities. I’m sure the next time you’re back, you will see the difference.

Thank you so very much for your valuable feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to Sarova Panafric.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

Staff friendly and helpful. Nice hotel, but rooms could do with an upgrade; they are a little dated and kind of average. Flame Tree Restaurant is excellent.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
AnthonyNgunga, General Manager at Sarova Panafric, responded to this review, November 28, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to review us on Trip Advisor.

We are happy to hear your enjoyed our friendly staff and other positive features. I am also pleased to report that we are currently carrying out our phase II of the rigorous renovations that will address our guest rooms one at a time to upgrade them and this will resolve the dated issue. I am also delighted that you enjoyed our Flame Tree Restaurant and other features of your stay at Sarova Panafric. We have recently made improvements to the menu and am happy that you enjoyed it.

We hope to host you once again at Sarova Panafric.

Regards,

Sarova Panafric

Been to Sarova Panafric? Share your experiences!