“Cape to Cairo” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 106 Hotels in Nairobi
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Cape to Cairo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

A nice hotel with a nice downtown location. The restuarant is very good. The situation of the hotel is very good in relation to the horrendous Nairobi traffic.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a deluxe room, it is well woth the slightly higher price.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
AnthonyNgunga, General Manager at Sarova Panafric, responded to this review, November 21, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your positive feedback to us on Trip Advisor. We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit with us at Sarova Panafric.

Our location certainly is incomparable and our staff take tremendous pride in the guest service that they provide. We are thrilled to be able to offer upgrades whenever they are available and welcome guests into Sarova Panafric as if they were coming into our home, where anything you may need is only a request away.

We look forward to accommodating you should your travels bring you back to Boston.

Sarova Panafric

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Polish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

We just booked in via booking.com. We made the right choice as it was in a good location, it was not hard to find and since it was our first time in Kenya, we didn't know much about the place.

However, there was a bad point since once of the receptionists was extremely rude and probably thinks she's a manager so she had to treat us in an ill mannered way. First she greeted us with the most disappointing face, then ignored us and made us wait for quite some time. Good thing that we were able to talk to the other receptionist who was the opposite..

The room was superb. It was very private and the people from bellboy, to the security guard to the peopel from the restaurant were friendly, helpful and accommodating. THe security guard really was concern for us since we tried taking pictures from outside the hotel at around 8pm, he said that we shouldn't go too far, we just need to stay inside the hotel's vicinity which was really kind of him. And we appreciate.

Next time we go to Nairobi, definitely will stay here again!

Room Tip: our room is in the poolside which was very nice in the morning :)
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Dear Angelle,

Thank you for your comments on your recent visit to Sarova Panafric. I am certain your pointers will help future travelers wishing to stay here, especially the savvy tip on the poolside rooms.

I wanted to reach out to you personally as promptly as possible to let you know how sorry I am for the experience you encountered with the receptionist. I have sent you a personal message that I hope you will respond to so that we may properly rectify the situation for you as well as ensure our future guests are not thus disappointed. Thank you for taking time to let us know what you encountered. Please know that we are intent on resolving this and I assure you that it will not occur again. We are thrilled and delighted that you enjoyed the rest of your stay at Sarova Panafric, from the location, to the rooms right down to the service.

We do look forward to your next visit with us.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

I stayed there for 4 nights. My overall impression was that it was overpriced for what it offered. The front desk staff need to be better trained, the other staff, including the restaurant staff were very friendly and good but there was a long wait for the food. The internet was glacial in my room.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

Staying at sarova panafric.Excellent location. Unfortunately can't say that for the hotel.stayed in room 410 from 13 november. Staff at reception were great, but than it's there job.Room were rather old, bathroom and toilets were old. Hated the bath room. Infact my wife prefered using the reception area toilets.With three people in the room, it was cramped. choice of tv viewing was limited. Couldn't get any of the international channels CNN, BBC, etc. Its the norm to have a few international channels.Towels had large holes. All I got was symphathy from reception staff when I complained, and no changes were made. I asked my concerns to be raised with management, which I am assuming was never transmitted.Additional bed was hardboard..
We tried the restaurant once which is horribly overpriced for the quality of food and the dark underlighted restaurant.Lasagne tasted like a extra sweet dessert.
I hope the management takes notice as the staff have a loud early morning conversation on the floor. With an old hotel and unsuitable Walls , all can be heard inside the rooms.
Finally beware of the lifts, which close quickly if you don't rush out on your floor. My hands still hurt after the door closed with force as I was just leaving a lift.
It would take a lot of change before I am convinced to stay at Panafric during my regular business trips from January.

• Stayed November 2011
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011 via mobile

Stayed at room 125, very poor quality room, needs renovation to be up to standard for the money they are charging
Front desk staff not friendly nor helpful

• Stayed November 2011
AnthonyNgunga, General Manager at Sarova Panafric, responded to this review, January 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

Apologies for the unfriendly service you encountered at the reception area. This is not common practice as Sarova Panafric strives to deliver excellent service to all our clients. Please be rest assured that we investigated this issue and we got to the bottom of it. We have taken up stringent measures on the same and this will not occur again. The recently carried out top-to-bottom renovation project has rewarded the hotel as a whole with a newly re-imagined grandeur of Sarova Panafric’s neo-African theme and facilities. Our guest rooms are no exception to this development & majority have undergone renovations to compliment our five star amenities that define luxurious living while others are still undergoing this process. We hope we can welcome you back should you visit Nairobi again.

Arusha, Tanzania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

My thought over and over during my recent stay in an executive room at the PanAfric Hotel was, "$200+ per night. Really?" Before launching into my objections about the place, I do want to say that all of the staff were friendly, helpful and professional in every way. To them, I'd give five stars. If the hotel were priced at $100 a room per night I'd think it was fair. But for over $200, I will stay elsewhere next time. I could overlook the fact that the shower stall was way too narrow and that the hot water at 6pm was luke warm (even my 5 year old daughter complained it wasn't hot enough). I didn't really mind the fact that the stopper in the sink was stuck permanently down and I had to pry it up with my fingernails to drain the sink... But then, I turned out the lights to go to bed and noticed that every ten seconds a smoke detector centered directly over the bed would flash a green light. I called housekeeping to find out if there was a problem with it and was told that all the smoke detectors do that to show they are working properly. It was pitched as if I should be grateful! I don't hold the staff at fault. But what on earth was the management thinking? Surely they don't sleep in their own rooms. Fortunately I happened to have some duct tape on me and covered it up. It was then I noticed that the bed was hard as a plank. LIterally. It felt like sleeping on a board covered with about half an inch of padding. The mattress had no give to it at all. True, I have been likened to Princess Pea, and I've certainly had to sleep on a lot of uncomfortable mattresses in my life, but not after paying $200+ for the favor. Bottom line: It's not a bad hotel, but it is awful value for the money.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased that during your stay you found our staff to be personable and helpful. We typically pride ourselves on the quality of our guest service, and receive great comments in that respect. About the smoke detector, indeed it lights up as green so as to indicate that it is functioning normally which is very a important guest safety requirement. However, we do understand how this light can affect ones sleep and apologies for this. Due to your feedback, together with our professional engineering team, we are now looking into ways of indicating the detector’s functionality without affecting our guest experience. In order to ensure our guests have restful nights, we provide professionally recommended orthopedic mattresses but your feedback has definitely been taken into account. I am also sorry for your experience with the water. This should not occur at all and the team has taken up corrective action to curb this from happening again. At The Sarova Panafric, we strive to provide only the finest products and services for our guests, which can be reflected in our pricing. We always welcome guest feedback that in turn assists us to improve & perfect our guests' experiences.

I do hope the next time your travels bring you to Nairobi, you will return to Sarova Panafric and be sure to email me on anthony.ngunga@sarovahotels.com. It’ll be a pleasure to meet with you.

Caracas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

Hi, We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights, before and after our safari trip in Kenya.
First of all, it is obvious that the rooms need a radical refurbishment while the doors, beds and other furnitures seem like they were from 80's.
Staff are helpful and polite but not like in Sarova Lion Hill or Sarova Mara Tented Camp where we also stayed in this trip.
Our last night was horrible because of dozens of cockroahs running up from every single dark corner of the room. When we were checking out, we wanted a insecticide from the reception and sprayed it all inside of the luggages. At least 7 or 8 more cockroachs jumped out from our luggages after doing this.
I suggest to all people who are considering to stay in this hotel to prepare themselves for the visits of these tiny friends.

P.S: This review does not include Sarova Lion Hill and Sarova Mara Tented Camp where we stayed for 3 nights and fell in love to both of them with their great staff, cleanliness and location.

Regards

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your recent stay at The Sarova Panafric and would also like to express my sincere appreciation for your Trip Advisor review.

I am saddened to hear about your room experience. This is indeed quite surprising as we have stringent procedures that see to our housekeeping team deliver thorough uncompromisable hygiene standards in the hotel. This has also rewarded the hotel with the international HACCP certification. As a standard procedure, we also ensure that every month the hotel is fumigated in order to maintain our top hygiene standards. Immediately after your review, we investigated the reason behind this and discovered that it might have been caused by some shopping bags that you brought into the room. We greatly encourage our guests to counter check anything they’ve purchased outside of the hotel so as to avoid any unforeseen instances such as this. However, due to your review, we were able to take up real time corrective action and the room was immediately fumigated and we do not expect this to recur again.

I sincerely hope that this independent experience doesn’t deter you from visiting Sarova Panafric again.

Sarova Panafric

Been to Sarova Panafric? Share your experiences!