“Getting better, try it.” 4 of 5 stars

You added LAICO Regency Hotel to your Saves list
LAICO Regency Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Uhuru Highway | City, Nairobi 00200, Kenya   |
Ranked #48 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
“Getting better, try it.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

I used to stay at this hotel since 2004, when it offered excellent amenities and services for a good rate. Soon after, the quality deteriorated when most of the hotel rooms were occupied (on long lease contracts) by foreign governments' representatives. In addition, the hotel was catering to airline transit passengers. Hosting of the two groups left much wear and tear in the hotel rooms and affected the quality of services. So I switched to alternative hotels. About 15 months ago, an agent at the airport persuaded me to re-try Laico under its new management; and since then I stayed at this hotel three times while in business trips to Nairobi. I must admit the quality of the renovated rooms is much better now, 4-star quality; and the services have improved tremendously in all hotel facilities (atrium bar services need more improvement). In general, the hotel has an excellent architectural design and was built to be a 5-star hotel; and I believe under the new management and after completion of renovation will soon become a 5-star hotel. The hotel is centrally located in Nairobi's business district and offers many good amenities, including variety of restaurants and cafe's, casino, good size atrium level swimming pool, excellent park or city view, very good breakfast buffet (missing smoked salmon), variety of shops, etc. The personnel are very friendly, especially the hotel manager, who is very frequently is in contact with hotel residents soliciting their opinions about the hotel services. Next time you visit Nairobi, look for or negotiate a good room rate at the Laico. Try it. It offers an excellent deal for the money.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Murage, General Manager at LAICO Regency Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Mohdriad,

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback with us.

It was our pleasure to host you and we are glad that your return stay to Laico Regency Nairobi was met by positive ongoing improvements. We have also noted the areas of concern raised and I sure you that we are working on them.

We look forward to hosting you again on your return trip.

125 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

We arrived in Nairobi at 12:30am and then at the Laico Hotel one hour later. I and my wife were very tired and just wanted a room that had the basic necessaries that worked. From the outside the hotel is very impressive and inside there was a large beautiful atrium the looked up to the roof. The utilities were absolutely poor. It got all my three strikes:
1. The Air-Conditioning would just not cool the room. We had a very uncomfortable sleep.
2. The WC was broken and also cracked and rocked sideways.
3. The shower did not have hot water. The water was just luke warm.

Usually when I write for Trip Advisor I am forgiving and give the hotel management the benefit of the doubt if other things work out well. But, in this case the hotel management and maintenance got a rock solid three strikes....which in my book is OUT! Very disappointing stay. I do not recommend this hotel to anyone. Unfortunately I had not booked this hotel but was booked by my travel agency Ketty Tours.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Khataw,

Thank for your feedback on your stay with us.

We value all guest feedback on our product and services as it is the only way we are able to improve. Noted are the areas that we fell short of your expectations and we are already working on improving the same.

We have given upgrade of the facility top priority, this has already been scheduled to commence and we are currently in the final stages of planning.
I do hope you will give us an opportunity to host you again.

Kampala, Uganda
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

Check-in was slow, the staff behind the desk seemed a bit at a loss - and the same upon checking out as well. The room was ok, but the edges were starting to fray a little, and the internet connection was awful. The restaurant staff were slow and the food was ok, but not great.
The hotel is in a good location, but I get the feeling it has seen much better days in the past.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Murage, General Manager at LAICO Regency Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Lyn H,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your stay with us.
We value all guest feedback as a measure for us to improve our product and services. We have noted the areas in which we did not meet your expectations and apologize for the same. You will be glad to know that necessary measures have been taken to avoid a repeat.
We do hope that you will give us an opportunity to host you once again.

Mr. Sobhi Dahan - General Manager
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

The experience is satisfactory. The rooms are spacious but lack a separate shower(mine had a bathing tub only). However the staff are cooperative and helpful. The location is excellent besides a park and right in the central business district of Nairobi. Unlike Crowne Plaza or others located remotely in less central places, this location offers a good choice of restaurents to have food outside the hotel and at a reasonable price too.

Room Tip: In the high level floors Internet access(wireless) was quite weak.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Best UK,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing the feedback on your experience.

We are delighted that our staffs were excellent, including the location where we are situated right at the Heart of the Central Business district.

You will be glad to note that we have embarked on upgrading all our rooms, which will encompass bathtubs, walk in showers and Internet on all floors.

We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Karlstad, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

The hotel has great location close to the highway and the city centre, absolutely superb staff (including the very welcoming hotel manager), great big rooms (and it's going to be renovated so it will be even nicer), good restaurants (try the ricotta-chicken ravioli at Roberto's- it's DELICIOUS, but avoid the boring "bina colada" at the jazz bar) and a nice heated pool with a view of the Nairobi skyline (it is however a bit windy since it's far up). It's pricey but totally worth it! The breakfast makes good value for your money.

Room Tip: Choose a room higher up in the building (we stayed on the seventh floor which was perfect) to avoid...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Sara S,

Thank you for taking time to share your reviews about your recent stay with us. I am thrilled that our hotel location worked in your favor and as well the breathtaking view from our heated swimming pool.

I am glad my team and I took good care of you and have also noted the positive reviews on Robertos – our Italian Restaurant and our sumptuous buffet breakfast. I appreciate your feedback on the pina colada served at our Jazz bar; we are looking at options to spice it up.
I confirm that we are currently planning the hotel renovations and as mentioned, this will make our big rooms even more inviting.
We do look forward to hosting you once again.

Naivasha, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

I been there as a guest for quite number of times. The rooms are spacious n clean, Breakfast, lunch, dinner all are mouth watering n the shisha awesome. The location is uptown near the park n got a beautiful view. The heated swimming pool is wow plus the buffet in the atrium. There's also Karaoke nt on Fridays which is just amazing. Will keep coming back here, l love it n the staff r friendly apart. Thanks Laico Regency

• Stayed October 2013
Dear FighaenRosita,

Thank you for sharing your reviews on the numerous visits to the hotel; it is always our pleasure to have clients return to enjoy our excellent services, and staff friendliness and professionalism.

Our location, combined with clean and spacious rooms next to the central park definitely provide a beautiful view, also visible from the heated swimming pool.
I am elated that you also enjoy our mouth watering variety of buffet breakfasts, daily themed buffet lunches at the Atrium Garden Restaurant, dinner options from either of our three restaurants and Café Maure – our shisha lounge.
I am definitely looking forward to seeing you weekly, as you sing your heart out at our Friday Karaoke nights.

Santiago, Chile
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

On Oct. 24 we were checking in with my daughter to spend the last night in the hotel as we had been there a few days before and went on a safari and returned. Upon checking in we realized we had forgotten our passports, money and credit cards in the Masai Mara, distant five hours of travel. Our flight left in 8 hours. Immediately the Shift Manager, Mr. Josiah Mwendwa and his team made ​​a series of phone calls and diligently got the Mara Sopa lodge Manager send a trustworthy person and we received our documentation in six hours, thanks to which we could travel. Priceless.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guillerm0chile,

Thank you for taking the time to share your reviews about your stay at Laico Regency Nairobi, I am glad to hear that you did get back home safely, following commendable service provided by my front desk team. I am happy to receive comments of such positive nature.
Your feedback has been shared with Josiah Mwendwa and the entire team that made your travel back home happen, this will reinforce our commitment to ensuring guest satisfaction.

Mr. Sobhi Dahan – General Manager

Been to LAICO Regency Hotel? Share your experiences!