“Central location but dated property” 3 of 5 stars

LAICO Regency Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Uhuru Highway | City, Nairobi 00200, Kenya   |
Ranked #56 of 119 Hotels in Nairobi
UK
“Central location but dated property”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

The experience is satisfactory. The rooms are spacious but lack a separate shower(mine had a bathing tub only). However the staff are cooperative and helpful. The location is excellent besides a park and right in the central business district of Nairobi. Unlike Crowne Plaza or others located remotely in less central places, this location offers a good choice of restaurents to have food outside the hotel and at a reasonable price too.

Room Tip: In the high level floors Internet access(wireless) was quite weak.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Murage, General Manager at LAICO Regency Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Best UK,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing the feedback on your experience.

We are delighted that our staffs were excellent, including the location where we are situated right at the Heart of the Central Business district.

You will be glad to note that we have embarked on upgrading all our rooms, which will encompass bathtubs, walk in showers and Internet on all floors.

We look forward to hosting you again soon.

For any queries or Information kindly contact me on

Regards,
Mr. Sobhi Dahan – General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Karlstad, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

The hotel has great location close to the highway and the city centre, absolutely superb staff (including the very welcoming hotel manager), great big rooms (and it's going to be renovated so it will be even nicer), good restaurants (try the ricotta-chicken ravioli at Roberto's- it's DELICIOUS, but avoid the boring "bina colada" at the jazz bar) and a nice heated pool with a view of the Nairobi skyline (it is however a bit windy since it's far up). It's pricey but totally worth it! The breakfast makes good value for your money.

Room Tip: Choose a room higher up in the building (we stayed on the seventh floor which was perfect) to avoid...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Murage, General Manager at LAICO Regency Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Sara S,

Thank you for taking time to share your reviews about your recent stay with us. I am thrilled that our hotel location worked in your favor and as well the breathtaking view from our heated swimming pool.

I am glad my team and I took good care of you and have also noted the positive reviews on Robertos – our Italian Restaurant and our sumptuous buffet breakfast. I appreciate your feedback on the pina colada served at our Jazz bar; we are looking at options to spice it up.
I confirm that we are currently planning the hotel renovations and as mentioned, this will make our big rooms even more inviting.
We do look forward to hosting you once again.

Naivasha, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

I been there as a guest for quite number of times. The rooms are spacious n clean, Breakfast, lunch, dinner all are mouth watering n the shisha awesome. The location is uptown near the park n got a beautiful view. The heated swimming pool is wow plus the buffet in the atrium. There's also Karaoke nt on Fridays which is just amazing. Will keep coming back here, l love it n the staff r friendly apart. Thanks Laico Regency

• Stayed October 2013
Dear FighaenRosita,

Thank you for sharing your reviews on the numerous visits to the hotel; it is always our pleasure to have clients return to enjoy our excellent services, and staff friendliness and professionalism.

Our location, combined with clean and spacious rooms next to the central park definitely provide a beautiful view, also visible from the heated swimming pool.
I am elated that you also enjoy our mouth watering variety of buffet breakfasts, daily themed buffet lunches at the Atrium Garden Restaurant, dinner options from either of our three restaurants and Café Maure – our shisha lounge.
I am definitely looking forward to seeing you weekly, as you sing your heart out at our Friday Karaoke nights.

Santiago, Chile
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

On Oct. 24 we were checking in with my daughter to spend the last night in the hotel as we had been there a few days before and went on a safari and returned. Upon checking in we realized we had forgotten our passports, money and credit cards in the Masai Mara, distant five hours of travel. Our flight left in 8 hours. Immediately the Shift Manager, Mr. Josiah Mwendwa and his team made ​​a series of phone calls and diligently got the Mara Sopa lodge Manager send a trustworthy person and we received our documentation in six hours, thanks to which we could travel. Priceless.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guillerm0chile,

Thank you for taking the time to share your reviews about your stay at Laico Regency Nairobi, I am glad to hear that you did get back home safely, following commendable service provided by my front desk team. I am happy to receive comments of such positive nature.
Your feedback has been shared with Josiah Mwendwa and the entire team that made your travel back home happen, this will reinforce our commitment to ensuring guest satisfaction.

Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I guess it serves me right for being lazy and booking the conference hotel without checking reviews first. Let me start by saying that the Laico offers some of worst food I've ever experienced during my 25 years of international business travel. Breakfast, lunch, dinner ... all consistently horrible. As for the property, it is thoroughly worn-out. The hotel wifi internet was **extremely** slow and available only about 50% of the time I tried to log on. The room carpets were dirty and stained. The bathroom was very poorly lit, the linens were Motel 6 quality, and the water was, at best, lukewarm. The air conditioning in the room sounded like it was powered by a diesel engine and did not produce cold air. The best thing about this hotel was that the windows are able to open wide for a good breeze ... although you might be tempted to jump. I was.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear PacificJet,

Thank you for letting us know your experience at the hotel, I am sincerely sorry that we fell short of your expectations.
I have noted that most of this was due to our physical structure and I am contented to share with you that we are in the process of finalizing plans for a master renovation of the hotel.

DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

The hotel is in a central location and there is good security. Check-in was slow but at least the receptionist was very friendly. In fact everyone at the hotel was very friendly and helpful, it was almost as if they do not see many guests and were genuinely happy when they stumbled across one. My room was clean and comfortable with wi-fi, safe and complimentary water. The dining options were adequate and the pool area was nice. If you are looking for glitz and glam this is not for you. The Laico is a large hotel and you can tell in the 80s or 90s it must have been something pretty special. Now, she is a tired lady. But it's fine for a night or two. I wouldn't seek this hotel out again, but I wouldn't object if I somehow ended up here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Amman, Jordan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Our flight arrived at 3:45am. We had an advanced reservation at this hotel. When we arrived at the hotel all we wanted to do was go to bed. Alas, checkin took over 30 minutes. Then we got to our rooms and they were not ready. It took another 45 minutes for them to bring the extra beds we reserved. The next day housekeeping did not come to clean our rooms. The toliet barely flushed, some of the mattresses were terrible, the carpet was disgusting, it took 20 minutes to get luke warm water, checkout takes another 30 minutes, the TV didn't work. Generally the rooms sucked. The door lock on one of our rooms did not work and the door jam was busted out. We asked for a new mattress and they never came.
At the end of our trip our tour operator booked us at this place again. And again, checkin took far too long. The rooms where different, but still shabby and worn. Still no hot water.
I expressed my experience with them and the manager was very nice (all the staff was very nice) but it didn't change the fact that this is very bad hotel.
The icing on the cake was our dinner at the Italian resturant. We found a nasty insect in the pasta sauce. They didn't make us pay for the plate but still...
The location is also terrible if you are traveling to Kenya on safari. It is downtown but that just means you have to fight through terrible traffic. Plus there are not a lot of eating options outside of the hotel.
Believe the negative reviews of this hotel. They are true.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to LAICO Regency Hotel? Share your experiences!