“Pleasant and very satisfying stay” 4 of 5 stars

LAICO Regency Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Uhuru Highway | City, Nairobi 00200, Kenya   |
Ranked #54 of 115 Hotels in Nairobi
Nairobi, Kenya
“Pleasant and very satisfying stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I stayed here while on an international conference in KICC .. I have never felt the need to write a review before but seeing the mixed reviews I thought it was time to share my very positive experience

Having been an avid trip advisor user for the past years I was a bit concerned because of the mixed reviews and was not expecting much

I travel quite a lot all over the world and was very pleasantly surprised .. The de luxe room. I had in the 8th floor was huge had a wonderful view of the park and had its own ensuite living area with sofa and Another chair .. The working table was the proper size .. There was a flat tv with major western channels .. The cabinet was made for two or even three and had ample hangers ( often a turn off in other hotels) .. The decor was very tasteful and there was a big standing lamp beside the working table which gave good lighting for those who need to do some work ..

My bathroom had a tub and the showers were working very well .. Strong water both hot and cold .. The toilet had two water closets ... I had a comfortable queen size bed with four pillows which for a pillow lover like me is a gift .. The comforter was comfortable even if not too thick ...

Breakfast buffet was 5 star ... It gave a good.choice in terms of variety and range of food and juice offerings although after three days I wanted some more new food but yoghurt was constantly changing flavor ,,, for omelet and scrambled eggs if you are like me and you like it dry and well done then you Are a happy one otherwise make sure to tell them you want it not too dry and well done... A pleasant surprise was free afternoon cocktails .. You pay for your drinks but food is free flowing from nibbles ( peanuts and. CHips) to finger food ( e.g chicken wings, samosa, spring roll etc)

I was out most of the time but on my last night I ordered their fillet mignon and specified medium well and it was medium well and very tasty including the huge mash potato presented as a lovely flower

The public areas are spacious ...clean ... staff are very pleasant and Accommodating And the are a number of lifts so you quickly gets to whoever you are going

For me, traveling alone , the help of the staff in getting good knowledgeable english speaking drivers to make the tourist trips was a big help as well as the daily cabs to my conference center .. Cabs here have no meters so everything is negotiated and my colleagues told me the daily cab rates i got were quite cheap .. 400 to 5oo ksh per trip .. For walkers it's also within walking distance... It is connected to shops and a salon so when I had manicure emergency it was quickly resolved .. Barclay banks was just in the hotel corner so ATM was safe quick and efficient as well .. When I needed to make deposit for a safari service operator barclays staff was also very helpful ...

The security of the hotel was at very good qualify and high level similar to what you would find in an airport .. All vehickes are thoroughly checked front back side and surprise .. A machine for ones bags and stuff and a separate one for people ... but all this done with staff with. A pleasant disposition

So yes I am quite satisfied .. I particularly felt relaxed looking at the wide open space of the park outside my windows and on occasion watching the sunset .. This is a gift after the
chaotic traffic ... I come from the Philippines where traffic is part of our daily life but Nairobi traffic is
Distinctive in its own way

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Dirty, worn, not worth 1/2 the money
Public areas looks good or ok. We had 3 rooms all dirty an worn. No maintenance in a long time it looked like. The hotel had all the possabilities to have five stars. Has the location and size one the rooms, but nothing else.

Stayed October 2013
Lagos, Nigeria
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Stayed here during a conference because I could not get rooms in the Intercon. The only good things about this hotel are 1) the views to the national park, and 2) the breakfast. Apart from this, the hotel seemed old and in need of serious upgrades. You wait 10minutes before you can get hot water in the showers. The carpets stink and in need of serious shampooing. Note that you can always negotiate prices. I walked in and they told me the room rate was $370 per night. I negotiated it down to $200, a friend later told me I could have gotten the room at $120!! Location is not bad if you have business in the city. But I will honestly recomend Serena or indulge yourself and take the new Kepinski.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the park.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Banjul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I found myself staying overnight in Nairobi due to a missed flight connection and I accepted the recommendation of a member of the airline staff and came to the Laico Regency. From beginning to end the experience was first class. The welcome and check-in procedure was efficient friendly and courteous. The hotel itself is very splendid, built around a huge atrium with glass sided lifts. The room was a good size with every facility I could wish for and a very comfortable bed. The choice and quality of food at dinner and breakfast was excellent. I will certainly use this hotel again when I am next in Nairobi.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Rooms are quite spacious, Restaurant serves delicious foods (especially indian's meals). what I liked much there was the heated swimming pool. Considering their current state, the bath rooms need serious renovation. Located in centre of nairobi, It's a ideal hotel for a business stay in Nairobi.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
West Sussex UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Due to our aircraft being delayed kenya airways where able to put us up over night here at the Laico. I must say that I was glad that it was only one night. Yes it was at short notice etc but credit where its due the check in staff and resturant staff did do an admirable job. the room however was a disaster. The door had obviously been kicked in at one point as the door panel had been broken off. the bathroom although large and was splatted with what looked like plaster and the shower door didn;t close which meant that the water just sprayed out in the bathroom itself. Check out was also a bit of a mare. You have to check out at the cashiers desk and seeing as there was a plan full of people trying to do this all at once it became very tiresome while they had to keep chasing house keeping to see if you had anything from the mini bar. All in all glad only had one night.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Murage, General Manager at LAICO Regency Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Latravelwestsussexuk,

Thank you for sharing your feedback during your stay with us and we are grateful.

Am glad that the check in and restaurant staff did a great job in ensuring that you were sorted out despite it being short notice. Our staff are always there to help you out and make your stay a memorable one.

Point to note is that you did not like the room you were in and am happy and pleased to let you know that we sorted out all those issues you raised and we would love to welcome you back again so that you can see for yourself the changes that we have done. At the time, we were in the process of upgrading our rooms and now that they are great I welcome you back.

For any queries or information kindly contact me on
guestlink@laicoregencyhotel.co.ke

Kind Regards,
Mr. Sobhi Dahan – General Manager
Pakistan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Location of the hotel is good because its in the central area and very close to most shops. i was there for a conference so enjoyed it and went smoothly....dint like the food and breakfast very much though.

ok place

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Murage, General Manager at LAICO Regency Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Taniaimran,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay at Laico Regency Nairobi; it was our pleasure to host you.
We are pleased that you enjoyed our central location, giving you direct and quick access to most shops. Noted as well is that you enjoyed our conferencing facilities and that it was well synchronized and run smoothly.
As we did not meet your expectations in our food and breakfast, we would be glad to discuss your preferences on your return stay, to ensure that we make this home away from home.

Regards,

Mr. Sobhi Dahan
GENERAL MANAGER

Been to LAICO Regency Hotel? Share your experiences!