“Going downhill fast” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #48 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
Tel Aviv
“Going downhill fast”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I have been visiting this hotel rather frequently for the past three years. It has changed ownership during this period and going downhill since then. Food is mediocre at best. Staff try to be friendly but lack the experience and skills. When approached the day managers are generally useless. During last visit in August, renovation work was beeing done in adjacent rooms creating noise, had a leaking faucet, television did not work, There are many better and cheaper options in Nairobi.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

125 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

What a great find! I originally was in the Intercontinental Hotel for 3 days, but decided to move to the Laico Regency. It was a wonderful choice. In fact, I extended my stay for 2 weeks.

Staff was excellent! They were all very friendly and helpful. The room was bright, very clean and large. Plenty of hot water. Room service quick and very few mistakes in the orders. Good pillows and nice linens/towels.

Internet WIFI was included in the room cost and was very strong and reliable. Housekeeping did a great job of making sure the room remained clean and complimentary coffee and water was kept filled up.

The hotel has several restaurants: Italian, cafe, poolside bar and grill, Main Terrace. The food was always good. Breakfast was served on the Main Terrace, but I only had breakfast twice. It was fine. At the Italian restaurant, stay away from the "Italian Nachos". Otherwise the food was very good.

Within the Hotel complex there is a casino and small shopping complex. A foreign currency exchange/Western Union location in the hotel allows you to change money at a great rate.

It is hard to find fault with this hotel. The only things I can mention are: Carpet in my room was rather worn; Food item preparation and presentation were never consistent if you ordered the same thing on different days. Each time they were a little different, but still very good!

Next time I have to be in Nairobi, I will stay here again!

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side are quieter: off the main road and away from the Park (the Park gets very lo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

This hotel used to b Regency. So the structure and building r nice looking.
Then it was purchased by Laico chain. The room is nice and large, decorated really nice with African touch. The bed, sheets, towels r new and nice. No mosquitos, Staff r nice and helpful , I really liked this hotel !!
Ok , only bad thing was bathroom.
The sink area looked ok.
But bath tub area is old. I guess they didn't get around to renovate the bath and wall and the floor in the bathroom.  And the water coming out of the faucet  is yellow.  Weak hot water. I hope they will renovate the bathroom soon.

• Stayed September 2012
LaicoRegency, General Manager at LAICO Regency Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear Sophia moon,

Thank you for staying at LAICO Regency and for your feedback.

We noted your appreciation for the African touch in our upgraded rooms. The upgrade is being implemented in phases and the next phase will be upgrade of bathroom facilities. Hopefully the phase will be complete by your next visit.

We look forward to hosting you once again at LAICO Regency hotel.

Pristina, Kosovo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

After spending more than $1500 staying at this hotel, I was presented on checkout with a minibar bill of around $40 for items I never saw or consumed. Normal business practice for most hotels is to write these off as an error, or at least give the customer benefit of the doubt. What ensued was a heated discussion at the reception desk, involving the staff member who checked the mini bar, the cashier, and finally the manager. All were absolutely recalcitrant and unable to adjust the small amount. I paid for those items even though I had only ever consumed items that I had purchased outside and put in the fridge to save expenses. Laico's bizarre management style is: the customer is always wrong.

They have lost one customer, and I understand now why the hotel was almost empty.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I was at this hotel for a conference and thoroughly enjoyed my stay...I was surprised by some of the negative comments I read on tripadvisor - my experience was positive. The room was spacious and comfortable, staff friendly and the hotel really sought to accommodate me as a vegetarian - some options were really tasty (and it is not easy to find decent vegetarian food in Nairobi)...hotel managed conference aspects well and all worked seemlessly...there is a pool and gym for exercising and position of the hotel is in the heart of the city...security was also good which is important currently in Kenya...all in all, an excellent hotel for business, conferencing and leisure

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear David and Jeff,

Thank you for staying at LAICO Regency and moreover for taking the time to post your positive feedback. This encourages us to keep upgrading our facilities and services.

We are glad that you had a great experience from the rooms to the friendly staff, meals and conference facilities. Your satisfaction is our reward.

We look forward to hosting you again.

Nairobi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Problems with this hotel were:

1. Ugly furniture, worn out and painted over with one coat of white paint.

2. Outside window has no mechanism to regulate movement. It remains fully shut or fully open , nothing in between.

3. Worn out carpet which is discoloured.

4. No complimentary water for guests.

5. Air conditioning spewed out dusty air

6. Shower was a disaster, the device to transfer water to the shower head was malfunctional, thus impossible to take a shower.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Realtor K.
Kindly accept our apologies for not meeting your expectations as outlined in your review.
We have embarked on upgrading all rooms, from the carpet, linen, curtains, TV flat screens, painting to the adding of lights. So far we have upgraded four floors and we wish to assure you that the next visit will be of a different experience.
Regarding air conditioning, this surprised us. We have however directed our Maintenance team to look at it and ensure that this is addressed and that it does not occur in any other room.

We provide complementary mineral water 2 bottles per room, replenished daily as a standard procedure. We apologize should there have been an omission error in regards to your room. It could have been an oversight at our end and will address with the Housekeeper.
I encourage you to get in touch with me direct while planning your next visit. I will ensure we throw in a surprise for you as a demonstration of our apology for not meeting your expectation.

Thank you for staying with us, hoping that you will once again give us a chance to better your experience.

Gerard Boucheraeu
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed in many so-called 4 and 5 star hotels in Nairobi (Hilton, Safari Club, Panafric, and now the Laico Regency) that all receive the same comments from me-grossly overpriced for tired and worn hotels that may justify their star rating in terms of range of services offered, but certainly not in the quality of those services. My bed was warped (turned up in the corners!) and the bathroom had definitely seen better days. I arrived late and ordered a burger and fries from room service-when I put my knife through the burger blood shot out-it was dangerously undercooked. They did it again for me, but offering it on the house would have been a nice gesture. Next time I'm going straight back to the Tribe, which is the only Nairobi hotel I've stayed at where I feel the product and service justifies the price.

• Stayed August 2012
Njenga J, Manager at LAICO Regency Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Dear guest (FrequentTravellerKV)

Kindly accept our apologies for not meeting your expectation as outlined in your review.

We are grateful for acknowledging the upgrade in public areas. We have embarked on upgrading all accommodation rooms, from the bed, carpet, linen, curtains, TV screens, wall decoration and painting to light enhancement. So far we have upgraded three floors and we assure you that the next visit will be of a better experience.

It is not in our standards or the ones of our Executive Chef to deliver food which is not cooked to our client’s preference. We took note of your comments regarding the undercooked Burger and have taken up the matter. A complementary burger awaits you on your next visit; kindly refer the bill to me once it’s delivered to you. As service delivery is paramount to us all at Laico, we are carrying out continuous training to all our staff with an aim of achieving speedy and professional service delivery.

We are glad that you chose to stay with us and we encourage you to give us another chance to demonstrate the difference to you.

Kind Regards
Gerard Bouchereau

Been to LAICO Regency Hotel? Share your experiences!