“Excellent service but hotel cannot be called 5 star” 3 of 5 stars

LAICO Regency Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Uhuru Highway | City, Nairobi 00200, Kenya   |
Ranked #53 of 103 Hotels in Nairobi
Doha, Qatar
“Excellent service but hotel cannot be called 5 star”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

The Reception and Cashier staff were very good. Security guards were very friendly. And so was the Hotel transport (including Airport pickup, drop and local trips) and Room Service. I must commend on the guidance and service provided by Mr Moses, Driver to explain to me various details of the Hotel and Nairobi which I was not aware.

I am a traveler with reasonable demands and do not expect much. However Laico needs to spruce up many on many fronts:

- bathroom shower was not up to the mark, the shower was leaking with water spraying from behind the shower; therefore pressure was low

- the room furniture looked like it had not been painted for ages

- TV program selection was drab. Some of the channels listed in the Hotel booklet were not available.

- Restaurants needed better service and I had to call for a waiter to take the order inspite of the Restaurant being almost vacant during dinner time. Quality of food was very poor and not cooked properly

- Internet/ WiFi was slow. Web pages took a long time to load

Laico was a very average experience. It is definitely not 5 star and tariff is high.

On the plus side, the room was clean with well stocked bar and an excellent view of the park.

Room Tip: The room overlooking the park was good. The other side faces the market and buildings.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Njenga J, Manager at LAICO Regency Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Dear Sir (202Globetrotter )
Thank you for your detailed feedback on your recent stay with us.

We did not meet your expectation in some areas as outlined in your review.
First and foremost we are grateful that reception, cashiers and security staff gave you exceptional service and also our Driver Moses. This is the service that we strive to give every day.
On the issue of rooms, we have embarked on upgrading and refurbishing all our rooms and we welcome you again to check out our rooms when you are coming to stay with us again.
We are addressing speed and efficiency of service provided whether at the front desk or at our restaurants. Our staffs strive to offer accurate and fast service to our guests while ensuring the highest level of integrity is maintained. We are working on a program to retrain each staff on professionalism and attentiveness so as to exceed customer expectation, whether on normal or busy days.
On the Wi-Fi during you visit, we were experiencing latencies from our ISP which they were addressing and got it fixed.
Thank you once again and we welcome you again giving us a chance to correct our mistakes.
Kind Regards
Gerard Bouchereau

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Nairobi, Kenya
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

I had not been to the regency since it was acquired by laico and the standards have pretty much gone down. Thought of grabbing a bite and a coffee while waiting for the Nairobi traffic to subside. The lobby staff are welcoming. At the restaurant, it took long before I was acknowledged by one of the staff who approached my table and asked what i wanted. I asked for the menu, which took ages to come or i guess i was to hungry but all together with waiting for the food, the time was so long. My friend had to go to the bar with the menu, inorder for the server to notice that she waited so long. The food item I received was quite different from the menu description. I will give credit to the guards, and their friendly gestures but the service and food at the terrace coffee shop was quite poor.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, Manager at LAICO Regency Hotel, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Dear Miss TN
Thank you for taking time to share your feedback.
We highly appreciate your comprehensive feedback and have taken a keen interest on the issues raised.
The team regrets that your expectations were not met and noted your comments regarding not being acknowledged by our staff at the Royal Terrace restaurant, the slow and delayed service and the food served not being as per menu description.
We would like to assure you that it is our duty to provide speedy and excellent service to all our clients as per Laico Branded Hotels’ service standards. Please accept our sincere apologies with regard to the standard of service rendered. The matter is being addressed so that corrective standards and procedures are followed to prevent a similar occurrence.
Your kind compliments about our Front Office staffs who were welcoming, is highly appreciated.
We trust that in the future you will give us a chance to serve you once again and assure you that the above will not reoccur.
Kind regards
Pretoria, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

This week I visited the hotel. We had various business meetings ranging from a dinner for clients to a conference with 300+ delegates. The arrangements were all on the number, from the airport pickups to the events themselves. All the staff at the hotel went out of their way to help and were extremely efficient and very friendly. We will be back at the Laico in future as our preferred venue for business functions.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have been completely renovated. Try and ensure you get one of those.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Njenga J, Manager at LAICO Regency Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Dear Mr. Pierre M
On behalf of the Laico Regency team in Nairobi, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent visit. I greatly appreciated you taking the time to share your feedback on trip advisor.
As we are committed to extend best services to all our clients, it is wonderful to read that your event was a success and that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations.
I am pleased to hear that you found the staff to be extremely efficient and friendly and I will definitely pass your compliments to the team.
Once again, please let me express my gratitude and appreciation for your recommendation of Laico Regency Nairobi as your preferred venue for business functions and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best Regards,
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

I am a regular visitor to most of Nairobi's top hotels although I had not visited the Laico sinced it changed name from the Grand Regency a few years back. I had a meeting there this week and sat in the Royal Terrace Coffee Shop. I agree with the comments below, I have never experienced such dreadful service in Nairobi, the waiter could barely speak English and has to ask his manager to asist on most tables that were occupied by non Kenyans. The tables and linen are dirty beyone belief. The worst caffe late I have ever tasted and terrible pastries (I think stood in the cake cabinet for days). The place is completly outdated and needs urgent attention.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Njenga J, Manager at LAICO Regency Hotel, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for your detailed feedback and appreciate your coming back to LAICO Regency after a long time. We are very much concerned about the poor service you received at our Royal Terrace and suspect you could have been handled by a trainee as the issues you raised are definitely not in line with our service standards.
We have embarked on a year round program to retrain each staff so as to provide accurate, efficient and fast service to all our guests.

While we noted regarding the pastries we wish to assure you that they are replenished every single day.

Once again thank you for your review and we will ensure that the above issues are addressed and corrected.

With Best Regards,

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012 via mobile

Shocking,shocking,shocking is all I can say. The rooms are dirty, walls need drastic washing, there is no hot water,speak to the front desk,still no help,even when you tell them you have no water to shower.
The restaurants,there are no words,every single time they got the orders wrong and how difficult can it be for a cheese burger? The restaurant staff are apathetic, they even get the beer brand incorrect.
I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy and to think of the prices you must pay to stay here,totally outrageous that it left a very sour taste in my mouth,even if the company was paying for the bill,my company got ripped off!!

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear Mr. Andre

We wish to thank you for your detailed feedback and apologize for not meeting your expectations.
We are very much concerned about the poor service you received at our Restaurant and suspect you could have been handled by a trainee as the issues you raised are definitely not in line with our service standards.
We are investigating and all issues will be addressed and corrected.

We have embarked on refurbishing all our rooms and have so far completed two floors. Rooms are being repainted walls and ceiling as well as the furniture, curtains changed and sofas reupholstered to a newer design, we added more lighting with an African touch and fitted flat TV screens.

We are also retraining our staff to be efficient and to provide fast, excellent and professional service. All this is aimed at improving our Standards and Service.

As we embark on the above we would welcome you again giving us a chance to correct our mistakes

With Best Regards,

Bangalore, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

One of the most beautiful hotels, the service has improved considerably in last 6 months. The rooms are getting renovated and looking much better. It is very centrally located in the heart of the city that is the positive thing about this hotel. The doormen are most gracious and helpful so were the bell hops. I found the staff excellent and always friendly. The staff at front desk (Reception) was proficient and informative. The bell hop, who brought my bags up chatted with me. The front office Manager and the Sales team were very helpful and accommodative.
The lobby was relatively clean, but needs a bit more refurbishment. The rooms were clean and neat. The couch was a bit faded and rough at the edges. The bed was fine, the bedding was good, and the mattress was a bit droopy in the middle, but not a problem for me. Air-conditioning did work this time around. The hotel staff did everything to address my complaint on the air-conditioning not working from my previous stay. The staff at the restaurant was uniformly polite and friendly. The music at the lounge in the atrium was superb with the piano music, I thoroughly enjoyed the evenings. Room Service was good and the food appropriately priced. I really enjoyed my time in Nairobi and hope to return in 20 days. I will happily stay again at the LAICO Regency.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dubai
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

This hotel does not deserve to be called a 4*-hotel.

The location in the CBD is fine, but:
- Front desk staff is not professional: a simple check-in issue required 5 hours to get solved after long discussions and claims (lack of responsiveness from careless staff).
- The rooms were not ready at 4pm ... although hotel was almost empty.
- Hotel charges 250 Shillings per hour if you sit down and do not order a drink on 1st floor (first time we see this after visiting the 5 continents!).
- Rooms are not well cleaned; we found dirty carpet, dirty bathroom floor, dirty walls.
- Rooms windows are not sound-proof: if you are in a room above Uhuru Highway (facing Central Park), noisy traffic Day & Night will prevent you from sleeping well if not sleeping at all.
- Windows locking system is not working properly and furthermore dangerous: young kids may fall in the street.
- TV is old and not working properly (shutting down 15mn without any reason, colours are close to black and white).
- Hot water takes 3 minutes to flow.
- Dining experience was bad: we had to insist to get the unfriendly waitress clean the table before serving, food came 45mn after being ordered (even if only a few clients were dining).
- Breakfast experience was even worse: it took more than 20mn to get tea and coffee served though repeated reminders to the staff (4 waiters for only 20 customers and yet unable to deliver a fair service!) and plates/cutlery never removed unless insisting on it.
After 40mn requesting bacon to be refilled ... it never came!

LAICO Regency Hotel doesn't deserve any *star at all according to international standards.
After experiencing the wonderful hotels and lodges in Kenya national parks and reserves, what a shame!

Room Tip: - For family with young kids: windows locking system is not working properly and furthermore dangero...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Njenga J, Director of Sales at LAICO Regency Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Dear Jean Paul
Thank you for your detailed feedback on your recent stay with us.

We did not meet your expectation as outlined in your review. On the issue of the Rooms, we have embarked on refurbishing and upgrading all the rooms. From the carpet, linen, curtains, Tv screens, painting to the adding of lights. So far we have upgraded three floors and we want to assure you that the next visit will be of a different experience.

We are addressing speed and efficiency of service provided whether at the front desk or at the restaurants. Our staffs strive to offer accurate and fast service to our guests while ensuring the highest level of integrity is maintained. We are working on a program to retrain each staff on professionalism and attentiveness so as to exceed customer expectation, whether on normal or busy days.

We have the best food in town and our executive chef, having an experience of more than 20 years makes sure that we have a variety of food items on display that tempts your palate; not forgetting theme lunch buffets.

We/the management is hands on about the air conditioning and making the necessary steps to handle the situation in preventing the same happening again to you or any other guest in the Hotel.

We are glad that you chose to stay with us and we hope that you will give us another chance to correct our mistakes when we host you again.

Kind Regards

Been to LAICO Regency Hotel? Share your experiences!