“Excellent Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sarova Stanley

You added Sarova Stanley to your Saves list
Sarova Stanley
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner of Kenyatta Avenue and Kimathi Street | PO Box 30680, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #7 of 125 Hotels in Nairobi
Buckingham, United Kingdom
“Excellent Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

This was my first stay at the Sarova Stanley and from the time I arrived for a 3 day stay to the time I left all the staff I came into contact with were very polite and professional. I would like to single out Vera Moraa the reservations officer who dealt with our initial enquiry and even personally greeted us on arrival. Great service and I will definitely be rebooking at the "Stanley" for my next visit.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear RichardCShute,

Thank you for your review.

We appreciate your comments on our great service, hospitality and for the special mention of our reservation team member who exceeded your expectations. We are glad that your 3 day visit was memorable and refreshing.

We look forward to your return visit.

David Gachuru.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lagos
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

I first stayed at the Sarova Stanley in July 2012 on the recommendation of a friend based in Nairobi. The stay was as pleasant as could be expected of a 5 star hotel. My second visit earlier this year was almost marred by an incident in which I felt that an employee had disrespected me. At the same time, I was experiencing suboptimal internet connectivity in my room.

A change of room did not improve the situation. I took these up with the management and was quite surprised at the speed with which the management team led by the General Manager, Mr David Gachuru swung into action. To their credit they not only apologized unconditionally but also took concrete steps to make things better. They provided a working alternative internet access and took measures to ensure that such acts of disrespect were not repeated.

In June 2013, I was on my way to Nairobi. I sent an email that morning as I left for the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos – informing Mr Gachuru I would be in Nairobi that night.

I had already been booked into another hotel for the next day. I had not made any booking for where I would stay for the night. My plan was to take an airport taxi and go to a number of hotels depending on what options the driver knew.

That all changed when I got to Sarova Hotel group office at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, Nairobi. When the personnel saw me, they called up the hotel and “demanded” persuasively that I must spend at least that night at the hotel. I was offered a great discount and given a free ride in the limousine to the airport. What a way to enter town!

At the Stanley it was as if everyone was expecting me. I was given a royal welcome and led to my room where I yet had another surprise – my room had been upgraded at no extra cost.
I eventually stayed in the Stanley for 5 nights – 3 of which were complimentary (thanks to the management team!). I even got a little note of appreciation when it was time to check out.

The Stanley turned a series of potentially negative experiences into an opportunity to look inwards and improve. They have demonstrated that organisations in Africa understand the changes they would have to make in order to stay competitive. Make no mistake, it would not be an easy task to maintain the level of consistency customers like me expect and demand. There is still room for growth and improvement. I am okay that at least they are giving it a try...offering some refreshing African hospitality in the process.

My last thought of course goes to Mr Gachuru again for working hard to improve the service at the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear digitaldoctor,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this amazing review after your recent stay with us.

We are grateful that you gave us another chance to host you and make right our previous gaps in service. It is an honor that we were able to provide you with a superior and memorable stay. Our guests are the center of everything we do. As a team, we strive to provide unparalleled experiences and special moments to all our guests.

Once again, thank you again for giving us the opportunity to host you. We look forward to your return.

Antananarivo, Madagascar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

overall nice services, old renovated architecturev& style, very well positioned down town, parking seems to be the challenge; deserves its position of the most known/appreciated hotel resort in kenya...

• Stayed January 2014
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your Five Star review.

It is very gratifying to hear such great feedback . We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and that we exceeded your expectations overall. Thank you again for taking the time to give us your wonderful comments about the service, amenities and hospitality. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Well, we thought it was nice at $192 USD per online, but when they wanted a bump to $275 we moved a block over to the Hilton. Sarova had nicely finished and large rooms, the breakfast was good with plenty of choices though the coffee could not be refilled without tracking someone down unbefitting of a five star.

Regarding the move to the Hilton, had we had the move to do over, we wouldn't pick this old, musty property with tight room space.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Gary A,

We appreciate your review.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We are glad that our guest room, amenities and decor surpassed your expectations. We have shared your comments on our breakfast with the Food and Beverage team as an accolade to their efforts.

We appreciate the concern raised on the change in room rate. Our online pricing fluctuate on day of the week or demand. We hope that in your next visit, you will choose our hotel on overall experience. We have also noted the concern on refill of coffee during breakfast. We assure you that we have acted on your feedback for improvement.

We look forward to hosting you again.

Flic En Flac
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Invited 3 colleagues for a working lunch - two of us selected Chicken Tikka Masala, supposedly a house specialty. What appeared was a travesty - pre-cooked (over cooked and dry) chicken pieces with a sauce poured on top. We complained, but little note was taken.

Service was slow - beer tepid. A disappointment.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Mr. RS Wooding,

Greetings and thank you for your review ; which you would agree came after your face to face meeting with our management team at the restaurant where the issue was noted and resolved.

As agreed this issue was discussed internally and following your suggestion we now offer this item as Chicken Tikka Tandoori; prepared in the tandoori oven rather than Chicken Tikka curry. We also take into consideration the consumers who prefer the earlier signature version, which continues to be popular.

As we try to balance different tastes and preferences, we assure you that we have taken your entire feedback seriously and acted on the same, as we always have and will continue to value our guest feedback.

I sincerely hope that you will allow us the opportunity to serve you once again at the restaurant.

Warm Regards,
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

We loved our stay at the Sarova Stanley. All the staff were very polite and friendly from the moment we stepped out of the taxi to the moment we left. I'd be very surprised if Nairobi has a hotel that can deliver any better than what they do at Sarova Stanley. We were there during the terrorist attack on the Westgate Mall and the staff made sure we are always safe. Internet through the building was extremely handy as we were there on business. The only small let down for me was that the spa was not mixed but overall I would still give this hotel a rating of 5 because they truly deserve it We were sad to go has we had built some friendships with many of the staff over our 10 day stay. This hotel will definitely be our first choice of hotels when we return to Nairobi later this year.

Thank you for making our first trip in Nairobi such a great experience!

Matthew & Donniece

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear MatthewandDonniece,

Thank you for your review during your last stay with us in September last year.

We are glad that you rated Sarova Stanley as five star hotel and summarized your experience as the best hotel service ever experienced. It was our pleasure to host you. Thank you for making our hotel your first choice in Nairobi.

The whole team appreciates your comments and for sharing our awards on this media.

We look forward to your return visit.

Juba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Stayed at the Sarova Stanley for an extended period. A very nice room on the 5th floor with excellent internet, bed and amenities. Am always very pleased when I find a desk so that I can use my laptop and also that there were power points available also to plug the laptop in (small detail, but welcome when it is there). Good stocked room bar and fridge.

The hotel is very elegant with a nice ambience and so forth, but what sets this hotel aside from many others for me was the staff, from the people greeting you outside the hotel, the reception staff, the people manning the business centre, the bar, the floor guards. Top notch, very lovely people and very service minded also.
The breakfast at the Stanley is also very very good, almost too many choices and everything on offer, fresh fresh. Pancakes, waffles and omelets made to order and as an extra bonus the same made to order service for the morning fruit platter. How good is that... And the salmon and champagne offer on xmas and NY was very wonderful also.

The Stanley is in the middle of town on Kenyatta Avenue which makes it possible to walk to Moi Avenue nearby for some shopping without having to use a taxi.

I had the feeling of being extremely well looked after and that made my stay most enjoyable.

What was bad then? Hmm, well, hmm, nothing really spring to mind. Maybe that a cappuccino costed 500 KSH (for me, a cappuccino lover, the bill can quickly go astronomical :-)

There was a machine also for squeezing the juice out of fresh cut sugarcane - lovely.

I felt very much at home at the Stanley. Now I have a fixed place in Nairobi too for the next trip.

Room Tip: Maybe a high floor to allow a great view out over Nairobi. The pool is located on the 5th floor