“Possibly the best hotel service we've ever experienced” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sarova Stanley

Save Saved
You added Sarova Stanley to your Saves list
Sarova Stanley
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner of Kenyatta Avenue and Kimathi Street | PO Box 30680, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Special Offer
Complementary Transfer
Ranked #9 of 105 Hotels in Nairobi
London, United Kingdom
“Possibly the best hotel service we've ever experienced”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

We loved our stay at the Sarova Stanley. All the staff were very polite and friendly from the moment we stepped out of the taxi to the moment we left. I'd be very surprised if Nairobi has a hotel that can deliver any better than what they do at Sarova Stanley. We were there during the terrorist attack on the Westgate Mall and the staff made sure we are always safe. Internet through the building was extremely handy as we were there on business. The only small let down for me was that the spa was not mixed but overall I would still give this hotel a rating of 5 because they truly deserve it We were sad to go has we had built some friendships with many of the staff over our 10 day stay. This hotel will definitely be our first choice of hotels when we return to Nairobi later this year.

Thank you for making our first trip in Nairobi such a great experience!

Matthew & Donniece

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear MatthewandDonniece,

Thank you for your review during your last stay with us in September last year.

We are glad that you rated Sarova Stanley as five star hotel and summarized your experience as the best hotel service ever experienced. It was our pleasure to host you. Thank you for making our hotel your first choice in Nairobi.

The whole team appreciates your comments and for sharing our awards on this media.

David Gachuru.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Turkish first
Juba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Stayed at the Sarova Stanley for an extended period. A very nice room on the 5th floor with excellent internet, bed and amenities. Am always very pleased when I find a desk so that I can use my laptop and also that there were power points available also to plug the laptop in (small detail, but welcome when it is there). Good stocked room bar and fridge.

The hotel is very elegant with a nice ambience and so forth, but what sets this hotel aside from many others for me was the staff, from the people greeting you outside the hotel, the reception staff, the people manning the business centre, the bar, the floor guards. Top notch, very lovely people and very service minded also.
The breakfast at the Stanley is also very very good, almost too many choices and everything on offer, fresh fresh. Pancakes, waffles and omelets made to order and as an extra bonus the same made to order service for the morning fruit platter. How good is that... And the salmon and champagne offer on xmas and NY was very wonderful also.

The Stanley is in the middle of town on Kenyatta Avenue which makes it possible to walk to Moi Avenue nearby for some shopping without having to use a taxi.

I had the feeling of being extremely well looked after and that made my stay most enjoyable.

What was bad then? Hmm, well, hmm, nothing really spring to mind. Maybe that a cappuccino costed 500 KSH (for me, a cappuccino lover, the bill can quickly go astronomical :-)

There was a machine also for squeezing the juice out of fresh cut sugarcane - lovely.

I felt very much at home at the Stanley. Now I have a fixed place in Nairobi too for the next trip.

Room Tip: Maybe a high floor to allow a great view out over Nairobi. The pool is located on the 5th floor
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay at the hotel.

We are humbled to have hosted you during the festive period on your extended stay in Nairobi. We are also glad that the hotel amenities were excellent and the service friendly yet professional. Your breakfast experience was extensive, fresh and good, while the location was convenient for shopping. It was our pleasure to host you. We have noted the issue of pricing for our action.

We look forward to welcoming you home again.

Mombasa, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Sarova Stanley is a hotel of luxury taken to the next level with a Victorian façade and spoils to the details. Everyone is very friendly. From the moment of check in, getting to the room with personalized welcome letter from the manager and towels fold with art mastery, the dining experience at Thorn tree with Alice and Mary in waiting. The exchange bar is indeed a cozy place to replaced and catch up the moments. Not to forget the delicious salmon. Well done chef. You breakfast spread is just amazing.
Steve the head concierge is just amazing. He connects with all the souls easily and remembered my needs one year later. Isn’t this amazing?

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dear LetterFromDiani,

Thank you for your review.

It was our pleasure to host you at Sarova Stanley. Thank you for sharing your special moments with us in pictures and the special mentions of our team members who surpassed your expectations.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

This is an old hotel in the centre of Nairobi close to where the business district used to be (until most of it moved to Upper Hill or Westlands). Its charm arises partly from its long history (the pictures on the wall show the "New Stanley" being built in the early 1900s). But more importantly the charm comes from the people who work there. In my experience (and I have stayed there many times over the years) the customer is made to feel as if they really care, with a genuine looking smile and a welcome in every part from the reception, restaurants, housekeeping, security and concierge.

Of course, the staff are paid and trained to behave in this way (and why should they actually care) but in the Stanley, this training is paying off.

The facilities are not really up to scratch. The restaurants are limited, the rooms are tired (and the electric plugs have always had a tendency to flash and stop working in a somewhat alarming manner) and the wardrobe is far too small if one is staying more than one night (and I was alone). But for me, none of this really matters, since the hotel as a whole gives me a sense of well being and relaxation that all the tiny failings fade into insignificance.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review during your recent stay with us.

We are happy that you found our team charming and facilities up to scratch . Our team is greatly motivated by your kind words.

We have noted the concern raised on the rooms, electrical plugs and the size of the wardrobe for our action to improve.

Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

Wonderful old colonial hotel in the centre of Nairobi. Felt like you were stepping back in time to a period of old world charm. The staff were exceptional as was the breakfast spread. Took and age just to choose. The rooms were very spacious with a mini bar and tea and coffee making facilities in the room. We love this aspect and it happened most of the way in Africa. USA wake up and provide same. Cable TV seemed extensive tho we hardly ever bother with it. Security was very evident and welcome. They were friendly and sensitive which was welcome. We felt safe even tho Nairobi is not particularly safe, tho if you use common sense you will be fine. The Exchange bar is a great way to finish the day and have a malt or two or a double G&T if you have daughters along. Would I stay again? you bet.

Room Tip: Any one is a goodie
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and the picture.

We were happy to share our history with you during your recent stay with us. We are also glad that our team customer service was exceptional. We have noted the comments on our spacious guestrooms, in-room tea-making facilities and the Exchange Bar experience.

For more updates, kindly follow us and be our fan.

Warm regards
Mumbai--
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

I stayed at the Sarova Stanley in December 2013 for 9 days
A very classic hotel with a history. The rooms are very comfortable and have all the modern needed amenities.
The Thai speciality restaurant is worth a mention for its genuine thai cuisine. Delicious...
The staff are super efficient and courteous.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mumbaidee,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during the festive period for 9 days and sending a review of the stay on TripAdvisor.

We are happy to read that we surpassed your expectation by your five star rating of Sarova Stanley. In particular, you have mentioned our well preserved heritage, guestroom comfort, authentic Thai cuisine in Thai Chi restaurant and our team efficiencies.

It was our pleasure to host you and we look forward to hosting you again.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

I arrived at the hotel after my 30 day camping safari across Africa and was amazed by the service and beautiful architecture. The hotel staff were very accommodating and helpful. The room itself was very spacious and the bath was large enough for me to lie down in (I am 5'10"). The bed was very comfortable, resulting in me falling asleep very quickly. I would recommend getting a massage at their spa centre as they are reasonably priced and very relaxing.

I was unfortunate enough to arrive in Nairobi three days after the terrorist attack in the mall. Being a solo female traveller I was quite anxious about this part of my trip when I got news however the hotel's security was fantastic with metal detectors and security guards everywhere. Not once in the hotel did I feel unsafe.

The only complaint that I have, is that the water didn't really have a cold setting. This is a VERY small issue, but I was feeling quite dehydrated and dizzy when I arrived so I was hoping for a cold shower to feel better and it was quite warm.

I was lucky enough to get a very good deal on my tickets so the price for me is much lower than what it is now, so value wise it was great. Keep an eye out for good deals if you are planning to stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Ms. Chloe-breanne,

Thank you for your review and for sharing your experience through pictures.

We appreciate your comments on our preserved heritage through the hotel's architecture. We have also noted your appreciation of our team's customer service efforts, room size, comfort of the bed, massage services and our secure location.

On the concern raised on cold water settings, we have resolved this and on your next stay you will be able to have a cold shower.

David Gachuru.

Been to Sarova Stanley? Share your experiences!