“Luxury taken t othe next level” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sarova Stanley

You added Sarova Stanley to your Saves list
Sarova Stanley
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner of Kenyatta Avenue and Kimathi Street | PO Box 30680, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #7 of 129 Hotels in Nairobi
Mombasa, Kenya
“Luxury taken t othe next level”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Sarova Stanley is a hotel of luxury taken to the next level with a Victorian façade and spoils to the details. Everyone is very friendly. From the moment of check in, getting to the room with personalized welcome letter from the manager and towels fold with art mastery, the dining experience at Thorn tree with Alice and Mary in waiting. The exchange bar is indeed a cozy place to replaced and catch up the moments. Not to forget the delicious salmon. Well done chef. You breakfast spread is just amazing.
Steve the head concierge is just amazing. He connects with all the souls easily and remembered my needs one year later. Isn’t this amazing?

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
Dear LetterFromDiani,

Thank you for your review.

It was our pleasure to host you at Sarova Stanley. Thank you for sharing your special moments with us in pictures and the special mentions of our team members who surpassed your expectations.

David Gachuru.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Surrey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

This is an old hotel in the centre of Nairobi close to where the business district used to be (until most of it moved to Upper Hill or Westlands). Its charm arises partly from its long history (the pictures on the wall show the "New Stanley" being built in the early 1900s). But more importantly the charm comes from the people who work there. In my experience (and I have stayed there many times over the years) the customer is made to feel as if they really care, with a genuine looking smile and a welcome in every part from the reception, restaurants, housekeeping, security and concierge.

Of course, the staff are paid and trained to behave in this way (and why should they actually care) but in the Stanley, this training is paying off.

The facilities are not really up to scratch. The restaurants are limited, the rooms are tired (and the electric plugs have always had a tendency to flash and stop working in a somewhat alarming manner) and the wardrobe is far too small if one is staying more than one night (and I was alone). But for me, none of this really matters, since the hotel as a whole gives me a sense of well being and relaxation that all the tiny failings fade into insignificance.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review during your recent stay with us.

We are happy that you found our team charming and facilities up to scratch . Our team is greatly motivated by your kind words.

We have noted the concern raised on the rooms, electrical plugs and the size of the wardrobe for our action to improve.

Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

Wonderful old colonial hotel in the centre of Nairobi. Felt like you were stepping back in time to a period of old world charm. The staff were exceptional as was the breakfast spread. Took and age just to choose. The rooms were very spacious with a mini bar and tea and coffee making facilities in the room. We love this aspect and it happened most of the way in Africa. USA wake up and provide same. Cable TV seemed extensive tho we hardly ever bother with it. Security was very evident and welcome. They were friendly and sensitive which was welcome. We felt safe even tho Nairobi is not particularly safe, tho if you use common sense you will be fine. The Exchange bar is a great way to finish the day and have a malt or two or a double G&T if you have daughters along. Would I stay again? you bet.

Room Tip: Any one is a goodie
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and the picture.

We were happy to share our history with you during your recent stay with us. We are also glad that our team customer service was exceptional. We have noted the comments on our spacious guestrooms, in-room tea-making facilities and the Exchange Bar experience.

For more updates, kindly follow us and be our fan.

Warm regards
Mumbai--
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

I stayed at the Sarova Stanley in December 2013 for 9 days
A very classic hotel with a history. The rooms are very comfortable and have all the modern needed amenities.
The Thai speciality restaurant is worth a mention for its genuine thai cuisine. Delicious...
The staff are super efficient and courteous.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mumbaidee,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during the festive period for 9 days and sending a review of the stay on TripAdvisor.

We are happy to read that we surpassed your expectation by your five star rating of Sarova Stanley. In particular, you have mentioned our well preserved heritage, guestroom comfort, authentic Thai cuisine in Thai Chi restaurant and our team efficiencies.

It was our pleasure to host you and we look forward to hosting you again.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

I arrived at the hotel after my 30 day camping safari across Africa and was amazed by the service and beautiful architecture. The hotel staff were very accommodating and helpful. The room itself was very spacious and the bath was large enough for me to lie down in (I am 5'10"). The bed was very comfortable, resulting in me falling asleep very quickly. I would recommend getting a massage at their spa centre as they are reasonably priced and very relaxing.

I was unfortunate enough to arrive in Nairobi three days after the terrorist attack in the mall. Being a solo female traveller I was quite anxious about this part of my trip when I got news however the hotel's security was fantastic with metal detectors and security guards everywhere. Not once in the hotel did I feel unsafe.

The only complaint that I have, is that the water didn't really have a cold setting. This is a VERY small issue, but I was feeling quite dehydrated and dizzy when I arrived so I was hoping for a cold shower to feel better and it was quite warm.

I was lucky enough to get a very good deal on my tickets so the price for me is much lower than what it is now, so value wise it was great. Keep an eye out for good deals if you are planning to stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Ms. Chloe-breanne,

Thank you for your review and for sharing your experience through pictures.

We appreciate your comments on our preserved heritage through the hotel's architecture. We have also noted your appreciation of our team's customer service efforts, room size, comfort of the bed, massage services and our secure location.

On the concern raised on cold water settings, we have resolved this and on your next stay you will be able to have a cold shower.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

My wife and I are on our way to Rwanda and decide to stay 2 overnights in Nairobi. We were a bit concerned about "Nair-roberry" and wondered about finding a safe, old world charm hotel for our day stay. We arrived late at night and check in was carried out by wonderful smiling staff. We were a bit surprised that they were so happy. Our room was great. Good modern air conditioning, a large Sony TV monitor with a good range of cable TV so we could watch some TV and get a sense of what Kenya and Nairobi is all about, and plenty of UK power sockets for us to recharge all our batteries we will need in our safari in a few days, but the internet could have been a bit faster. Later the next day we wanted to go to a day trip to do a "game drive" in the Nairobi National Park as we were itching to see the animals !

We chose their in-house taxi and found the driver, Solomon, to be extremely courteous and he did everything with a deep hearted smile. We asked him all sorts of questions ; about the animals, politics and general life in Nairobi. He was well versed with all these topics and made our trip very informative.

Later, we had a late lunch at the hotel restaurant downstairs. Again, all the staff were very courteous. It reminded us of the staff at the Savoy in London who are just as courteous - not the typical american establishment who are courteous because they are expecting a fat tip. The staff here are courtious because it comes from somewhere deep inside and not from a clever training program.

This hotel is the real deal. Its the Savoy of Nairobi.

We realised that whatever this hotel has, it needs to be exported to many other hotels. Later we received our laundry which is a same day service - useful for us as we are leaving first thing in the morning. We were surprised that three of my underpants were missing. We called their Laundry department. The lady who answered said "I'm sorry - I will be there right away" and hung up. I thought - what happened ?. Why did she hang up on me ? Then right away there was a ring on the door and the lady was up with our missing laundry and was very apologetic. I was happy but also surprised again by the quick attention that my three missing under pants received. Anywhere else and I would be having an argument about my missing items. Here, they quickly focused on the problem and solved it.

I cannot comment about breakfast as we slept in recovering from jet lag, but lunch and dinner were superb. Regarding dinner we went to their Thai restaurant. We had no idea this is a 5 star restaurant and you need a reservation, but were happy for us to come in with our jeans and sleeveless tops. We were made welcomed and a low table (Japanese style - a bit odd) was made available for us. The restaurant staff were delightful, full of smiles and joyful infectious happiness. They employ two Thai chefs and their chicken satay sticks were made exactly as they should be made - a great creamy peanut sauce with small bits of peanuts over thinly slices chicken on small skewers. If a restaurant can make good chicken satay sticks, then they have nailed it in my opinion.

Now a quick one on Nairobi. Yes, there are issues - in the morning we heard gun shots as robbers tried to rob a place and we understood were gunned down by the police. We though it was an isolated incident but in talking to the staff here we understand that its more of a regular thing. Well, this old world charm hotel makes you feel very safe with their security screening all cars and people before they get into the hotel so its as good as it gets.

After we had dinner we were planning to go to our room to get packed for tomorrows early morning trip to Rwanda but we took a side stop at their old world bar just because its old charm was irresistible, We spoke to Beatrice the manager there and she was extremely focused on hearing both our positive and negatives views of the hotel ; the negatives so she could do something about it and improve. Well Beatrice, we cannot find anything but praise for your hotel. One of their staff at the Thai restaurant asked us to mention them on Tripadvisor. Normally we are not that interested in doing this as its an effort/ I'm lazy, but after all the good service with a deep smile, my wife and I cannot help ourselves in giving a detailed review of our experiences. I cannot speak about the other hotels in the area, but you won't be disappointed with this place at all.

Room Tip: Well we were upgraded without asking for it.. The room we had was facing the main street and it was...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Josie M.,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor and the excellent rating.

We appreciate the accolades and are humbled by your comments. Thank you for the special mention of Solomon, who was courteous, friendly and very engaging. We have shared your feedback with the whole team to continually uplift their customer service standards.

Looking forward to hosting you again and again.

Culcheth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

We booked the Sarova knowing it was towards the top end expense wise but wanted a safe and reliable hotel to use as a base during our 3 week visit to Kenya. The rooms were perfect - modern, clean and well presented, the staff were excellent on all but on occasion, a slight issue which they couldn't do enough to correct for us. Food was very good (champagne for breakfast!). the pool and gym well maintained and there was no issue in storing baggage we didn't need when hiking or on Safari. Above all the Hotel felt safe and secure the second you leave the street and entered the building - exactly what we were looking for, thank-you!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Jenny R,

Thank you for your feedback.

It was our pleasure to host you during your 3 week hiking and safari visit to Kenya. We are glad that Sarova Stanley was a safe haven while in Nairobi. Thank you for your comments on our guest rooms, champagne breakfast, gym and pool.

For the issue mentioned that we couldn't do enough, kindly contact me on thestanley@sarovahotels.com.

Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to your next visit.