“An historic stopover in the middle of town” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sarova Stanley

Save Saved
You added Sarova Stanley to your Saves list
Sarova Stanley
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner of Kenyatta Avenue and Kimathi Street | PO Box 30680, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Special Offer
Complementary Transfer
Ranked #8 of 102 Hotels in Nairobi
Southampton
“An historic stopover in the middle of town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

We stayed here at the start of our safari week and it made a welcome breather after the overnight flight and the hotel oozes with the history of Kenya.
The room/bed was gloroiusly comfortable and the rooftop pool was a blissful relaxation.
Going there two weeks after the Westgate shopping centre tragedy meant that there was fairly tight security which was reassuring.
Do visit the Acacia Tree Post Office on the ground floor and you will realise just how new the concept of this city is. Sadly the original acacia tree died but they have installed a good replacement, as seen in the picture.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear FriskyG,

Thank you for your review.

We are glad that you made a historical stopover at Sarova Stanley. It was our pleasure to host you before your safari and share our history. Thank you for sharing pictures of the message board on this media to all. Looking forward to hosting you again.

David Gachuru.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

The service in this hotel is absolutely superb, every department from front desk to security excel at offering 5 star service. The service at this hotel is up there with the best hotels I've ever stayed in. Although the service is 5 star, I can't say the same thing about the rooms.

The beds and pillows aren't 5 star, they are just run of the mill that you would find in any hotel. The rooms are dated, the air conditioning produces a smell that means it's better to keep it off, luckily it wasn't particularly hot so I didn't need need it on. The curtains look like they have been there for years. The tv is an old school tv, which is strange considering most have LCDs now. The shower is below average, and the bathroom as a whole not much better.

The rest of the hotel is pretty cool. I really liked the location, right in the hustle and bustle with a couple of bars close by, and there is a real energy in the city, and being at this hotel you're right in the centre of it. The hotel bar is good, quite cool relaxing there overlooking the city below. The thai restaurant was decent, wouldn't have a problem eating there again. The bar on the ground floor wasn't great though, and I had a chicken burger but couldn't eat it as the meat was grey, not what I expected.

So the staff are great and the location is cool, and I always think location is very important, but so are the rooms, and for me the rooms let this place down. I'd stay here again, but will know what to expect, if you're considering staying here, then do so, you're not going to regret it, providing you don't expect your rooms to be 5 star.

Room Tip: Whatever the crisps are in the mini bar try them, they are very nice! Much thicker than Walkers in...
Dear Jigsinsy,

Thank you for your feedback.

We appreciate your comments on the service which you rated 5 star, our convenient location in a lively city center and great staff.

We have noted that our room experience did not meet your expectation. Notably were the air condition, upholstery, TV and shower head. Our guest rooms are undergoing a planned and continuous upgrading process to ensure we match up to international bedroom standards. We hope that in your next stay with us, you will experience the refurbished rooms. On the issue of chicken burger, we regret the experience was far from sumptuous. Our kitchen team has taken this up for investigation and as a touch-point training for all future orders.

We are glad our choice of minibar crisps was satisfactory.

Looking forward to your return visit with renewed expectations.

Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

We booked this hotel through internet.The hotel is located in the heart of Nairobi. The hotel building is old but it is very well maintained. The building is a clasique British style with a lot of high quality wood in its interior. The hotel staffs are helpful and friendly. The room is very clean and well equipped. The breakfast was well served with variety of food choices. We checked out very early at 5 AM to catch our flight. The hotel prepared us a take away breakfast.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear HDI2013,

Thank you for your review.

We have noted your kind comments on our convenient location, our landmark heritage, the team, in-room service and breakfast.

We appreciate your booking via the internet and we look forward to hosting you again.

Kampala, Uganda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Like last time, my check in was swift, data on the printed sheet all in order and in no time I was on the 7th floor and ushered into my room by a Brand Ambassador, Sarova's name for their guest relations staff, who are so much more than just that by the way - they truly are ambassadors for their employers.
A quick check that everything was working, desk set up with laptop open and connected to a socket nearby - no struggle finding any here - the free internet catching instantly and then I was on my way to the first meeting, walking as the Stanley is right in the centre of the CBD and rather than taking a cab, a brisk walk is a better solution, healthier too. Security in Nairobi was visible and not once did a walk invoke that feeling of having to look over my shoulder, a great improvement compared to several years ago. I had most of my meals at the Stanley, a perfectly cooked medium steak at the pool terrace restaurant, fish and chicken dishes at the Thorn Tree and a delicious supper at the Thai restaurant which I remember from my old Nairobi days as the 'Tate Room' ... service was swift on all occasions, breakfast included where empty plates were promptly cleared making space for more of their pastry goodies to find their way through my mouth into my stomach.
For housekeeping too full marks, they replenished creamer and sweetener by the fistful, on my request as I work much of the night when I have to file my articles and asking for the towels to be kept and the bed only made but the sheets not changed too was done as requested.
With a history of over 111 years now under the belt, the Stanley remains a favourite and while admittedly the bathrooms are on the small side they lack nothing in terms of equipment or toiletries. The biggest bonus however is the staff, who offer hearty greetings to familiar faces and as observed, to new ones too, even if it is clear that THAT particular group of tourists was only staying for the night on arrival before heading out on safari. They, like myself, were all accorded 'most valued guest' status. A big thank you to the entire staff, they are a true asset to the Sarova Stanley Hotel. Looking forward to a return way earlier than another year and a half.

Room Tip: See to it that you get a room on the upper floors, a superior room at least and of course, nothing b...
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking time to give us feedback about your previous stay with us.

From the swift check-in, being ushered to the room, complimentary internet access, perfectly cooked meals at both Thorn Tree and Pool deck restaurants and in-room service; you have rated us highly. We have shared your review with the entire team to motivate us to continually improve to surpass our guest expectation.

We look forward to hosting you again and in case of future reservations, do not hesitate to contact us.

Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

The Grand Old Lady of Nairobi! I enjoyed the old world charm and the friendly service. The security was uppermost in my mind (as a solo traveler and so soon after the terrorist attack at Westgate Mall), and the Stanley did not disappoint me! Friendly, professional security officers screening at the door and officers placed strategically yet unobtrusively within the building. The room was large, comfortable and clean with all the amenities you would expect in a hotel of this caliber. Oh, and a scrumptious meal or 2 at the Thorn Tree Cafe has to be on every travelers list! The Prawn Salad was simply delicious!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

We appreciate your comments as you experienced the culture and heritage preserved in the hotel. The professional and friendly security measures put in place met your expectation. Thank you also, for endorsing the Thorn Tree cafe to be a place to visit for every travelers list, especially for Prawn Salad.

We look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

David Gachuru.
Evergem, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We stayed here 1night, before heading to the Masai Mara. It's a very nice and calm and chique hotel to come to when you've just landed in Nairobi. It took away a lot of the plane fatigue and the stress of Nairobi city. The pool is very nice (even at night) and the rooms were very fancy. The beds were super soft, just what we needed after a 10hour flight!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Louis,

Thank you for taking the time to review Sarova Stanley.

We are pleased that you found it a serene oasis in the midst of the hustle and bustle of the city
Please patron with us again, we would be delighted to host you.

Warm regards

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I was booked into the Stanly to speak at a conference. Travelling alone and female I was nervous about visiting Nairobi but the staff at the Stanley were all so welcoming and friendly they soon put me at ease. Their security staff were very chatty and with one on each floor I felt very secure in the hotel. The conference facilities, bar and restaurants were great and again it was the friendliness of the staff that made it special. It was my birthday and the hotel put flowers and a piece of cake in my room with the birthday message. That made my day. Then I inadvertently gave a US 50 note in a tip and the room service waiter returned to advise me of what he thought was a mistake. Such honesty. I needed that note for a national park tour later. Great hotel well located.

Room Tip: Ask for room with a view mine overlooked a dinghy inner courtyard.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Jillhenry,

Greetings from Nairobi,

I hope my response finds you in good health and take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Sarova Stanley as your preferred hospitality partner while in Nairobi.

Following your evaluation, it is notable that the overall service extended by the hotel staff was friendly, personalized and most important the room service waiter displayed integrity which is one of our core operational values.

We value our guests and endeavor not to miss out on celebrating any special events with them therefore appreciate you letting us know that your birthday surprise made your day a little more special despite being a long way from home.

We hope that you patron with us again and on request we will indeed allocate “a room with a view”

Warm regards
David Gachuru

Been to Sarova Stanley? Share your experiences!