“A Safe Haven” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sarova Stanley

Save Saved
You added Sarova Stanley to your Saves list
Sarova Stanley
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner of Kenyatta Avenue and Kimathi Street | PO Box 30680, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Special Offer
Complementary Transfer
Ranked #9 of 103 Hotels in Nairobi
Ireland
“A Safe Haven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I was staying in Nairobi for a few days on my own before my husband was arriving and my primary concern was personal safety. After a considerable amount of research I chose the Stanley. I chose the Stanley because of it's location, I felt I would be safe there and because of it's reputation, there is no doubt it is expensive but you pay for what you get. I used their airport collection service which was waiting for me in the arrivals hall, car outside, polite careful driver. I found a friendly reception and concierge and my room was more that adequate. No issues. Breakfast was fantastic every morning. All the staff were polite and friendly, if you engaged with they were willing to talk to you or leave you alone. They all had a smile everytime you passed on the them, it must be drilled into them but you felt it was sincere. A big happy smile and Jambo! I asked for a recommendation for a travel company to go on safari with and booked that for a couple of days later. Eva the Guest Ambassador gave me advice about where it was safe to walk and personal safety. Full marks there. I had 3 nights there before my husband arrived when we left for safari. I had a nice room on the 4th floor. Inside the wardrobe was the laundry bag and the prices were very clearly marke for all items - make sure you read the small print...
When we returned from safari we stayed in a small hotel on the edge of the CBD because the Stanley rates were so high during the week before dropping at the weekend. The following day I was mugged on Moi Avenue not far from the Stanley, I had a heavy gold chain ripped from my neck crossing the road. (I know I shouldn't have been wearing it, and had no other jewellry on apart from my wedding ring, my fault). My husband had already crossed the road when the incident happened, I was following, we didn't stop but kept walking briskly to the Stanley for help. They were fantastic, I can't remember who the Guest Ambassador on duty was, he saw that I was distressed and got Irene one of the managers. I repeated what had happened to her, she got the hotel security manager, Gibson, and he took us down to the local police station to report the incident. At this stage we were not residents but were booked in for 3 nights the following day at the more reasonable weekend rate. I said I didn't feel safe going back to the hotel we were booked in and asked them if they could do something about the rate for that night so we could come back there. Eva came on the scene and she took over and spoke to the front desk manager and sorted out a rate for us. I cannot fault any of them for the way they helped me over this whole episode.
Again at the end of the trip I had 48 hours on my own. I left the hotel once to go for a short walk but didn't last too long, I really didn't feel too secure on my own, I just came back to the hotel and read my book by the pool. On the final day I wasn't leaving till 6.30pm and thanks to Ravi for helping me to get a late checkout.
I really can't fault the hotel. Food in the Thorn Tree was excellent - we ate there every day. Breakfasts were fantastic, glass of bubbly on a Friday and Sat mornings were a nice touch, why not on Sundays? Loads of staff around. Saw the keyboards in reception being cleaned daily with a toothbrush! If I ever go back to Nairobi I will go back to the Stanley and would have no hesition in recommending it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the wonderful review on TripAdvisor and have passed your feedback on to the team with regards to the great service and helpful staff and good food.

It is indeed encouraging to receive positive feedback about our staff who always excel in providing our guests with a memorable stay.

We look forward to hosting you again.

David Gachuru

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Turkish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed at the Stanley at very short notice because Nairobi Airport had a fire and we couldn't get out. It was therefore the last night of our trip, which we started with a night at the Norfolk. I think the Stanley was the nicer hotel - larger room, typical small bathroom, but clean. Window that opened. It's situated down-town and was quite noisy outside at night, but it was a national holiday the next day, which is perhaps why.
We ate at the pool bar on the 4th floor (I think) and the food was good. Breakfast was just off the lobby to the left and included in the bed/breakfast rate, and very good. I had champagne and smoked salmon.
Recommend and would stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Lucinda D,

Thank you for your review.

We are glad that our hotel hosted you during this tragic incident. We have noted that our rooms are large, food at the Pool deck and breakfast of champagne and smoked salmon was great. Thank you for your recommendation.

We look forward to hosting you again.

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

This hotel is awful. We were staying in Nairobi for a night in transit, and just wanted to get some food and go to sleep. Unfortunately, this hotel clearly has a policy to bleed its guests dry by morning. The staff is invariably rude and deceptive, to the extent that it must be approved by management. The waitress in the restaurant treated us like trash and we received an exorbitant bill for services we never asked for. And although the rooms are decent, the street noise makes sleeping difficult. Kenya is a great country, and this hotel is horribly unrepresentative of its otherwise kind and generous people. Stay across the street at one of the cheaper, local hotels instead.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bryan,

Thank you for your candid review of your stay with us.

We regret that you experience not memorable. We would appreciate if you could kindly give us your contact details so that we may communicate with you directly.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We arrived here after 3 days camping in the Masai .
It was just lovely , gorgeous room , staff so helpful , nothing was too much trouble .

breakfast was heaven every option you could think of .We booked this through booking.com and got a bargain .

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear fawkey1,

Thank you for your feedback.

We are happy that your stay with us was memorable; the room, team members and breakfast were the highlightes of your stay.

Looking forward to hosting you again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

My stay at panafric was enjoyable. Very good service, welcoming staff guards, reception, waiters, all staff on high mood.
peaceful enclosure, best facilities, all you need in one place. I really felt at ease while also catching up on work.
Internet services the best with helpful staff assisting you. Thank you Juliet at the IT department welcoming and sociable.
While in Nairobi sarova will alwAys be my first choice.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Mathewud,

Thank you for your review.

We are glad that your stay at our sister hotel, Sarova Panafric was enjoyable and the service was good and welcoming. Thank you for the special mention of our team member.

We hope that during your next stay in Nairobi, we shall be hosting you at Sarova Stanley, in the heart of Nairobi’s central business district.

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Despite staying only one night, my boyfriend and I felt we were swindled by this hotel in two separate instances. When dining at their poolside restaurant, my boyfriend ordered a chicken sandwich from the waitress. She proceeded to bring him the more expensive roast chicken dinner, and when he pointed out that that was not the meal he ordered, she told him that he was incorrect and walked away from the table.

We also had some clothes laundered while we were there. The laundry staff member who came to my room to explain the process asked me to fill out the top of the laundry form and directed me not to look at the bottom part of the form, which I later learned stated the price per clothing item. We were later charged $143 USD without our consent. I have never in my life heard of a hotel charging this much for the 20-25 items we had laundered, and with exorbitant fees such as these, the staff member should have made the cost abundantly clear from the beginning.

I wrote the managers an email after our trip, and the manager only offered us free lunch "the next time we stayed with them." There will not be a next time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lauren S,

Thank you your feedback.

We are most concerned to read about your disappointment with our services in the two instances mentioned. It is regrettable that you felt swindled when in fact; we believe it was a case of miscommunication. On the laundry instance, we assure you that it is not our practice to charge our guests unfairly. Allow us to explain; our pricing on the laundry list is exclusive of 28% taxes. The additional amount that you found on your bill was the tax element. We regret that our team member who came to assist you was not clear on the pricing and therefore you had to conclude as you did.

We also wish to apologize for the inconvenience caused during your dining experience at the Pool deck restaurant. We have taken corrective action and are confident the rest of the team will constantly deliver upmost service standards.

Please rest assured that your comments have already been followed up and we will be reviewing each of our processes and procedure with a view to exceeding our guest expectation.

Looking forward to hosting you again, with renewed expectation.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

On my way to Juba to reunite with my husband I had booked four nights at The Stanley Hotel on my own. Unfortunately due to visa issues and the airport fire I needed to keep extending my stay which caused me quite a bit of stress and frustration. However, if one had to be stranded anywhere in Africa I believe this Hotel was the best. The staff were unbelievable with their friendliness, efficiency and kindness. Nothing was ever too much trouble. My room was lovely and immaculate, room service prompt with delicious food and breakfast always superb. I want to make special mention of Mary in reception and Joanne in guest relations, both are a credit to the Hotel in their calm helpful manner when I was stressed to the maximum! The Hotel looks and feels so charming and all staff extremely welcoming at all times. Thankyou Stanley I will return in the near future. Anne Olds ( Australia )

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear Ms. Olds,

Thank you for your review.

We are happy that your stay with us during the airport fire was calming and the team members surpassed you expectations. We have noted the special mentions of the team members who made your stay more memorable. We are glad the room standards, food, breakfast and the hotel ambiance were superb.

We look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

David Gachuru

Been to Sarova Stanley? Share your experiences!