“work and a little play” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sarova Stanley

You added Sarova Stanley to your Saves list
Sarova Stanley
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner of Kenyatta Avenue and Kimathi Street | PO Box 30680, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #7 of 129 Hotels in Nairobi
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
“work and a little play”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Love the hotel old colonial style. We were working at the KICC for a few days so this was excellent location and could walk in 5 minutes. The Stanley is an Oasis of calm in the city with excelent food, good wifi and a well deserved "tusker". Maybe not the cheapest place to eat and drink but you do know what you are getting and a pleasant smile is awaits as you walk in. Would stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear roger019750,

Thank you for your review.

We are glad to be conveniently located from KICC which is a 5 minutes walk from the hotel. Also that you found calm and warm smiles in the hotel after a day in the hustle and bustle of a vibrant city centre.

Looking forward to hosting you again and sharing more of our chef's delights with you.

David Gachuru

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

This is one of the best hotels I have stayed in in Africa, having lived there for approximately 3 years and traveled much more. It is not expensive, relative to Nairobi business hotels, the room was fantastic--even a pleasant surprise--and I noticed that the attention to service quality was excellent through and through. A lot of otherwise top-notch African hotels do not do great at service but this one seemed to.

I was only there for one night and wish I could have stayed longer. Hotel is right in the middle of town so I can't say it is very scenic, but the restaurant and bar are great--Tilapia was amazing. The restaurant menu even educated me about the history of the hotel and even Nairobi itself. I could complain about the $25+ breakfast buffet pricing but that comes with the territory.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Charles R,

Thank you for taking time to write a review of your last stay with us.

We are humbled to be rated one of the best hotels in Africa. Thank you for your kind comments on our customer service, Tilapia and the history of the hotel.

We believe that your next stay will be longer so that you may have more time to experience the heritage and history of the hotel.

David Gachuru.
Mauritius
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights, and thoroughly enjoyed my stay! :)
The food was excellent, especially the extensive breakfast!!
The staff were very attentive and helpful! A big thank you to - Daniel (our waiter), Dennis (the host), and Mercy! All had excellent customer service!
One of the nights we went to eat out at Trattoria (an excellent Italian restaurant a block away). A concierge walked us there, without us even asking! Going the extra mile - Thank you Frigustus! He even organized someone from the restaurant to walk us home!
The rooms are clean, comfortable, and tasteful! Slept so well!
I had one massage and really enjoyed. Very professional service! Asanteni!
I recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Nairobi!
The only downside if the location being very congested with traffic!
But I'll be back!
Thanks all! :)

Room Tip: 4th floor :)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Sophiesimonson,

Thank you for your review.

We are pleased that you enjoyed our Refreshing African Hospitality. We strive to uphold excellent customer service standard to exceed customer expectation.

For recommending the hotel, we highly appreciate it nd look forward to hosting you again.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

We stayed at the Stanley Hotel at the beginning and end of our safari holiday, what a great way to start and end your holiday. From the moment you exit the cab you feel very special.

The rooms are lovely and there is a special feel about this hotel. The beds are great for a good nights sleep. It's perfect for getting around Nairobi as the location is the centre of the city.

The food in all the restaurants is very good. The staff remember you and address you by name which I really liked.

If you are stopping in Nairobi, there isn't a better hotel to stop in.

Room Tip: If you can afford to upgrade your room as the location may be a better view of the city.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kevin B,

Thank you for your feedback.

We appreciate your comments and have shared it with the team. Our location gives the best view of the city and we are glad you noted it as a important room tip.

Looking forward to hosting you again.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I just came back from Kenya on safari. I stayed at the Sarova Stanley and the hotel is a really nice place to stay in Nairobi. The rooms are very comfortable and there is a wide selection to pick from in terms of food. The swimming pool is on the 5th floor and provides for great views.
The only issue I had with the Hotel is its location. The hotel is smack in the middle of the city centre and it tends to get noisy every once in a while, especially in the evening between 3 and 5.

Other than that, I highly recommend it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Adriana K,

Thank you for your feedback.

We are glad you enjoyed our comfortable and spacious rooms.

The time mentioned is Nairobi's city centre peak hours. However, you can always enjoy some music over a cup of specialty coffee at the Exchange Bar during this time. We highly appreciate your recommendation.

David Gachuru.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in a standard room booked via booking.com and from memory paid £85 per night for a standard room incl breakfast.

I arrived at 11pm tired, the reception area was very quiet, check-in took longer than expected but receptionist was friendly.

Room - I was allocated a room on the 2nd floor at the end of the corridor facing out on the main street the hotel is located on. Street noise from outside wasn't a problem but I was distrubed by noise from within the hotel on the stairwell next to my room, some clanging and banging nothing significant but since I'm NOT a light sleeper worth mentioning. Room itself was very large, had a small fridge and tea/coffee making facilities. Bed was comfortable and definately one of the better (ie softer) ones I had during a four week trip in Africa. Both the room and bathroom were very clean and everything worked well. Shower was over the bath with good water pressure and temperature.

Breakfast - Staff/service at breakfast very good. Selection was good eggs/omlettes cooked fresh, youghurts, cereals; weetabix, cornflakes, bran flakes & coco pops even porridge, Toast, pastries, cooked items which did change daily but from memory sausages, baked beans, bacon plus another few items. Only disappointment was there was a very limited fruit selection and although 2/3 juices to choose from no orange juice!

Concierge were helpful, I was a solo female traveller and wanted to go for a walk in the surrounding area during the day, they confirmed it was safe, marked a route for me and gave me some advice although I was already aware to avoid talking to people and watch my handbag etc.

Pool - Pictures on the website make the pool look bigger than it is but I spent a whole day relaxing by it and was able to get a very good wifi signal up there. It was very quiet with only a handful of people around and certainly allowed me to relax, sunloungers always available. Food & drink service from staff was good.

I also stayed at the Sarova Panafric and the Stanley is a more superior hotel, better location, bigger rooms and in my opinon better pool area, although breakfast at Panafric is better.
Overall I had an enjoyable stay and if ever in Nairobi again would definately try and stay at the Stanley.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear LFLovesTravel,

Thank you for your feedback.

We appreciate all the positive comments and have noted the negative comments by creation of actions plans for service and product improvement. On the noise in the hotel, we regret the inconvenience caused. We are undertaking a product upgrade as part of our scheduled, planned property maintenance of our heritage.

We look forward to hosting you again.

Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

Heading towards the end of my stay at the Stanley hotel Here in Nairobi. WELCOME: I was greeted at the airport like a long lost friend by Linda and Paul both of whom were extremely polite, very professional and very welcoming. The cost of the shuttle which was a Mercedes to the hotel is $40. SECURITY: the hotel feels very secure and there are rigourous procedures before even pulling up alongside together with an airport style Screen process which is very impressive. You therefore know that everyone inside the hotel has been thoroughly checked and therefore the likelihood of crime is pretty negligible. RECEPTION a warm welcome by Dominic and also Jared Both of whom were aware of my arrival. I was taken to my room which was on the fourth floor facing inward and therefore extremely quiet despite the hotel being right in the middle of Nairobi city centre THE ROOM: I booked a Deluxe room that had a double bed flatscreen TV with plenty of local and international channels. The room is large and very spacious and very well appointed. There is complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the entire hotel for residents which is actually becoming quite rare these days. The quality is very good and allowed me to send home on Skype added which I could do all of my emails from my iPad. In the room itself there is a well-stocked minibar. Tea and coffee making facilities that are replenished each day and 4 bottles of local water which again I replenished each day free of charge. The laundry service is well priced. The bed was extremely comfortable and there is air conditioning-very effective-in the room. The bathroom is a good size with bath and shower and all the usual shampoos etc that you would expect. There is a double locking system on your door which is recommended to be used at all times when you are in your room. For further security each floor has a uniformed security officer who is there 24 hours a day and while this may not be particularly necessary it provides further reassurance. DS TV is available and so there is plenty of films streaming in from South Africa to watch at night. GYMNASIUM/SWIMMING POOL: This is located on the fifth floor weather is also a poolside bar and eating area which looked down onto a courtyard on the ground floor. Unusually for Nairobi the swimming pool is heated and so I was able to swim at nighttime, sometimes in the pouring rain and still really enjoy it. The gymnasium is really good and has all the latest gear plus there are classes that you can participate in if you so wish. The staff here are very welcoming and they provide a big range of treatments as well if needed. The gymnasium opens at 6 AM and closes at 10 PM. BREAKFAST: breakfast is served early up until 10:30 AM on the ground floor and I was warmly welcomed both by Matilda and Caroline. The range of food is immense although I tend only to eat fruit and yoghurt that you can go as extreme as having roast pork or duck for breakfast! The food is plentiful-very good quality and the service is excellent. You can choose to eat inside on the outside terrace which leads to an area under the old "messaging tree". The coffee is very good BAR AREA: This is located on the first floor and looks very colonial. Very friendly and there are lots of very well appointed leather chairs where you can chill and relax and catch up on your days work. I also ate here at nighttime and the food is well priced with the main meal costing around £8-£10. There is also a Thai restaurant that is very highly recommended that I didn't eat here. So I can't really comment. CLEANING: the hotel itself is immaculately clean as if it had just been opened. Note that it has been up and running since 1902. My room was spotlessly clean and each evening I return to find rose petals and all sorts sculptured around for example a swan made out of a towel! My kids would love that. GET RELATIONS: Cecilia was very attentive and make herself mentally during one of my meetings-first-class person to be based on the ground floor making the first impression on guests coming in. SUMMARY: I have been visiting Nairobi for 20 years and stayed at many hotels throughout the city. For me this is by far the best hotel in town providing good access to all of my clients added to which it's a place where people are happy to come and meet you. But the main thing about this hotel aside from everything else is the people. In every aspect the Staff seem to be genuinely proud to be working in this establishment. Everyone greeted with a warm smile and asks you how your days. Manners cost nothing and someone is training these people extremely well not only so that they can get their job done efficiently but that they can enjoy it and also make guests feel that they want to stay once again. Well done everyone and I look forward to definitely staying at this hotel again in the future.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Bambino145,

Once again thank you for your review.

It was our pleasure to host you. Thank you for your kind words which go along way to motivate the team to greater extents in customer service and exceed customer expectation.

We look forward to hosting you again.