“Lovely hotel in a good location with helpful staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sarova Stanley

You added Sarova Stanley to your Saves list
Sarova Stanley
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner of Kenyatta Avenue and Kimathi Street | PO Box 30680, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #5 of 125 Hotels in Nairobi
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel in a good location with helpful staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in a standard room booked via booking.com and from memory paid £85 per night for a standard room incl breakfast.

I arrived at 11pm tired, the reception area was very quiet, check-in took longer than expected but receptionist was friendly.

Room - I was allocated a room on the 2nd floor at the end of the corridor facing out on the main street the hotel is located on. Street noise from outside wasn't a problem but I was distrubed by noise from within the hotel on the stairwell next to my room, some clanging and banging nothing significant but since I'm NOT a light sleeper worth mentioning. Room itself was very large, had a small fridge and tea/coffee making facilities. Bed was comfortable and definately one of the better (ie softer) ones I had during a four week trip in Africa. Both the room and bathroom were very clean and everything worked well. Shower was over the bath with good water pressure and temperature.

Breakfast - Staff/service at breakfast very good. Selection was good eggs/omlettes cooked fresh, youghurts, cereals; weetabix, cornflakes, bran flakes & coco pops even porridge, Toast, pastries, cooked items which did change daily but from memory sausages, baked beans, bacon plus another few items. Only disappointment was there was a very limited fruit selection and although 2/3 juices to choose from no orange juice!

Concierge were helpful, I was a solo female traveller and wanted to go for a walk in the surrounding area during the day, they confirmed it was safe, marked a route for me and gave me some advice although I was already aware to avoid talking to people and watch my handbag etc.

Pool - Pictures on the website make the pool look bigger than it is but I spent a whole day relaxing by it and was able to get a very good wifi signal up there. It was very quiet with only a handful of people around and certainly allowed me to relax, sunloungers always available. Food & drink service from staff was good.

I also stayed at the Sarova Panafric and the Stanley is a more superior hotel, better location, bigger rooms and in my opinon better pool area, although breakfast at Panafric is better.
Overall I had an enjoyable stay and if ever in Nairobi again would definately try and stay at the Stanley.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear LFLovesTravel,

Thank you for your feedback.

We appreciate all the positive comments and have noted the negative comments by creation of actions plans for service and product improvement. On the noise in the hotel, we regret the inconvenience caused. We are undertaking a product upgrade as part of our scheduled, planned property maintenance of our heritage.

David Gachuru

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Turkish first
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

Heading towards the end of my stay at the Stanley hotel Here in Nairobi. WELCOME: I was greeted at the airport like a long lost friend by Linda and Paul both of whom were extremely polite, very professional and very welcoming. The cost of the shuttle which was a Mercedes to the hotel is $40. SECURITY: the hotel feels very secure and there are rigourous procedures before even pulling up alongside together with an airport style Screen process which is very impressive. You therefore know that everyone inside the hotel has been thoroughly checked and therefore the likelihood of crime is pretty negligible. RECEPTION a warm welcome by Dominic and also Jared Both of whom were aware of my arrival. I was taken to my room which was on the fourth floor facing inward and therefore extremely quiet despite the hotel being right in the middle of Nairobi city centre THE ROOM: I booked a Deluxe room that had a double bed flatscreen TV with plenty of local and international channels. The room is large and very spacious and very well appointed. There is complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the entire hotel for residents which is actually becoming quite rare these days. The quality is very good and allowed me to send home on Skype added which I could do all of my emails from my iPad. In the room itself there is a well-stocked minibar. Tea and coffee making facilities that are replenished each day and 4 bottles of local water which again I replenished each day free of charge. The laundry service is well priced. The bed was extremely comfortable and there is air conditioning-very effective-in the room. The bathroom is a good size with bath and shower and all the usual shampoos etc that you would expect. There is a double locking system on your door which is recommended to be used at all times when you are in your room. For further security each floor has a uniformed security officer who is there 24 hours a day and while this may not be particularly necessary it provides further reassurance. DS TV is available and so there is plenty of films streaming in from South Africa to watch at night. GYMNASIUM/SWIMMING POOL: This is located on the fifth floor weather is also a poolside bar and eating area which looked down onto a courtyard on the ground floor. Unusually for Nairobi the swimming pool is heated and so I was able to swim at nighttime, sometimes in the pouring rain and still really enjoy it. The gymnasium is really good and has all the latest gear plus there are classes that you can participate in if you so wish. The staff here are very welcoming and they provide a big range of treatments as well if needed. The gymnasium opens at 6 AM and closes at 10 PM. BREAKFAST: breakfast is served early up until 10:30 AM on the ground floor and I was warmly welcomed both by Matilda and Caroline. The range of food is immense although I tend only to eat fruit and yoghurt that you can go as extreme as having roast pork or duck for breakfast! The food is plentiful-very good quality and the service is excellent. You can choose to eat inside on the outside terrace which leads to an area under the old "messaging tree". The coffee is very good BAR AREA: This is located on the first floor and looks very colonial. Very friendly and there are lots of very well appointed leather chairs where you can chill and relax and catch up on your days work. I also ate here at nighttime and the food is well priced with the main meal costing around £8-£10. There is also a Thai restaurant that is very highly recommended that I didn't eat here. So I can't really comment. CLEANING: the hotel itself is immaculately clean as if it had just been opened. Note that it has been up and running since 1902. My room was spotlessly clean and each evening I return to find rose petals and all sorts sculptured around for example a swan made out of a towel! My kids would love that. GET RELATIONS: Cecilia was very attentive and make herself mentally during one of my meetings-first-class person to be based on the ground floor making the first impression on guests coming in. SUMMARY: I have been visiting Nairobi for 20 years and stayed at many hotels throughout the city. For me this is by far the best hotel in town providing good access to all of my clients added to which it's a place where people are happy to come and meet you. But the main thing about this hotel aside from everything else is the people. In every aspect the Staff seem to be genuinely proud to be working in this establishment. Everyone greeted with a warm smile and asks you how your days. Manners cost nothing and someone is training these people extremely well not only so that they can get their job done efficiently but that they can enjoy it and also make guests feel that they want to stay once again. Well done everyone and I look forward to definitely staying at this hotel again in the future.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Bambino145,

Once again thank you for your review.

It was our pleasure to host you. Thank you for your kind words which go along way to motivate the team to greater extents in customer service and exceed customer expectation.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

The Windsor Suite (Penthouse Suite)-stayed here for one night only :( after Masai Mara safari&before travelling to Zanzibar. Loved it with all its luxuries ;) The Suite was spotless clean, with its fantastic view, large sitting room, comfy (mega-)king size bed and sparkling bathroom with shower and bath and all its amenities...paradise, especially when you are returning from sweaty game drives or Masai village where cow's poo was jumping on you from everywhere :))) And food?-very tasty&yummy ;) Highly recommended (see pics)!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear PetraNathan,

Thank you for your review.

It was our pleasure to share this piece of history with you and we are glad you shared your experience with many more people through pictures.

Wierden, Nederland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stayed here for one night before traveling to Masaï Mara. Wat a wunderfull hotel this is. The saff is verry friendly and you feel like a early 1900 discovery traveler. The only mistake we made was not eating in the Thai restaurant. Instead of eating there, we ate at the main restaurant onthe groundfloor. The food was good but the ambiance not so good. Next time, we will eat st the Thai restaurant.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Hanskramer,

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel.

We are glad for the good comments on our reception and rich heritage.

We have also taken note of your concerns at Thorn Tree Cafe and plans are underway to add more value.

Looking forward to hosting you again and reserving a table at the Thai Chi Restaurant.

Strassen, Luxembourg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

I was a first time at the Sarova Stanley in December. My first review was a bit harsh due to a range of administrative problems. This time, none of those.

Obviously, the good things did not change:

- good room (I got an upgrade, so it was even bigger)
- free and speedy wifi
- without mentioning my favorite Thai restaurant (don't miss it)
- no need to mention, hospitality like always in Kenya, warm and welcoming

I tried also;

- the gym, yes, I went to the gym. It's good, but lack of fresh air

Weak point, still, for a continental breakfast only eater, the breakfast and the normal restaurant.

I'll be back in a few days, so lets see

• Stayed April 2013
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear pabo99,

Thank you for your second review.

We are glad that our follow-up action improved our customer service and led to an improved rating. We believe that we shall maintain and surpass your expectation in the next visit. The comments on breakfast and fresh air in the gym have been noted.

We look forward to welcoming you back again and again.

Mombasa, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I had the oppurtunity of staying at this very fine hotel right in the city for 3nites. The rooms were excellent, I was astounded with the level of cleanliness esp. the ensuite bathrooms! The check in and check out processes are fast, believe me quite fast. Food from their famous Thai-Chi restaurant was great. Recommend this hotel to everyone 100%.

Room Tip: I wish I could have stayed in all their rooms to know this!...but I believe all the rooms are fine.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear MAM313,

Thank you for your excellent review following your most recent stay with us.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, in particular food at Thai chi restaurant, quick service and the great nights' sleep in your room.

We do hope you will have the opportunity to visit us once again in the very near future.

Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I called the hotel ahead of my visit to Nairobi, arriving 28 April, in order to confirm the reservation, organise a hotel pick up from the airport and doublecheck that I had a nice room. My call was handled by a lovely lady called Irene who really could not have been better-she was so friendly, courteous, efficient and gave me all the information I needed to know. Reservations & Front Desk remain the most important part of a hotel is human nature suggest that we form an opinion after around 25 seconds and I'm delighted to see that this was a good experience. I have been travelling to Nairobi for nearly 20 years but I have never stayed at this hotel so given the positive reviews thus far I hope it will be the first of many trips where I stay at this location. I will post my second review (I'm a bit OCD like that!) after my visit to Nairobi-well done so far and hats off to Irene

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Bambino145,

Thank you so much for your review.

We appreciate your special mention of Irene. It is always encouraging to hear guests experiences with us before, during and after their stay. We believe your next review after staying with us, will mirror and surpass this one.

We look forward to hosting you on the 28th of April.

David Gachuru.

Been to Sarova Stanley? Share your experiences!