“Buisness Trip” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sarova Stanley

You added Sarova Stanley to your Saves list
Sarova Stanley
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner of Kenyatta Avenue and Kimathi Street | PO Box 30680, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #8 of 134 Hotels in Nairobi
West Wittering, United Kingdom
“Buisness Trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights in late January early February. Hotel and staff were great. Pool was a little small but quiet nice for downtown Nairobi.

Only slight problem is although situation is good the traffic is not and getting a taxi can be a struggle in the morning.

The bar is very good, I believe it was the Nairobi exchange or something in a former life.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Windsurfingsadlers,

Thank you very much for your review. We are very happy you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to hosting you again in our lovely city.

Regards,
David Gachuru.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I had a lovely stay at Sarova Stanley in February 2013 when I was in Nairobi for a one week business trip. The staff at the hotel were professional, friendly and chatty; always happy to help. One of the days, I even got a birthday cake in my room as a compliment from the hotel which I thought was very thoughtful of them and a kind gesture. I wish some of the major airlines (for example Turkish Airlines) learned how to greet their loyal clients like this hotel.

As for the amenities – my air-conditioned room was spacious, clean and tidy. Towels, water and toiletries were replaced daily. Breakfasts were great: a wonderful selection of meat, eggs, dairy, cereals and drinks. I did not go to any of the restaurants at the hotel but my colleagues based in Nairobi told me that the Thai restaurant is very good. There is an open-air swimming pool of a reasonable size open until about 10 PM, if I’m not mistaken. The hotel is located right in the heart of Nairobi’s business area and it only about 20-30 minutes from the airport. I do recommend it and I would like to thank the staff at the hotel once again for their hospitality and professionalism. Am I staying with you again – yes 100%!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear DenisD600,

Thank you for your kind comments.

We would like to have more and more conversations with you as we share all memorable and special moments on our social media pages. Looking forward to seeing you soon, online.

delhi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Had gone to Kenya with zero expectations of the destination, Sarova Stanley was our first stop upon arrival in Kenya and what a welcome. The place is super comfortable, we had some fabulously fresh breakfast, and checked into our rooms, the rooms are large and very comfortable. Went and took a tour of the hotel, their Exchange bar is so inviting and have some super concoctions. Simply loved their Thai Restaurant for its mind blowing food. Was totally unexpected to savor such a fabulous Thai meal in Kenya.

some of our friends used their spa services and were quite happy with it too.

Its very centrally located and definitely recommended. without a doubt one of the most comfortable hotels in the city.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Shalink01,

Thank you for posting pictures of your stay with us. We appreciate them together with your kind comments.

Also, thank you for bringing your friends along!

We look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

We were here only one night before setting off to Mara. The hotel is quite lovely though small - which is a considerable inconvenience as you are cautioned against going out past sunset making it very boring with nothing to explore in the evening.
We were here at Christmas and they had many small gingerbread houses around the lobby and a gingerbread roof at the hotel entrance which was very exciting for our son. Also complimentary cookies that were most generously given :).
The staff is very warm and hospitable like everywhere in Kenya. In fact I think Kenyans are possibly the most hospitable and friendly people I've met- if this is done consciously given how heavily they rely on tourism it's still done very well and we felt extremely welcome.
Our room was huge (we had a triple room) and it was the type of room where you secretly photograph the bathroom! The fittings and decor are very tasteful and there's a lovely old world feel to it without being dinghy.
We had room service for lunch as we were too tired to go down. The portions are large and the food is quite nice with a few attractive and well made vegetarian options. We wanted to get dinner in one of the restaurants but weren't able to as the Thorn Tree cafe has a set menu for Christmas Eve full of food we don't eat like seafood and turkey :(. Of course I understand that a veggie Christmas dinner is a bit unlikely but it was disappointing. We couldn't eat at the bar restaurant as children aren't allowed and the other restaurant (a Thai one I think don't remember too well) looked uninviting. So back to our room for room service which was quite a boring finish to our day.
We had breakfast at the famous Thorn Tree cafe which honestly seemed quite ordinary. The spread was good. The washrooms in the cafe are quite smelly and bad. They don't seem to quite belong to the rest of the place which is clean, airy and lovely. Also as we had an early breakfast there weren't many people around and the staff outnumbered the guests. This was a bit awkward as you couldn't move a finger without some very attentive waiter or host rushing to help! Well meant but awkward.
They have a lovely vintage phone in the lobby but before playing with it be warned that it actually connects to the front desk :). We were quite embarrassed when they came by to politely inquire if we needed something.
One thing that we found reassuring was the level of security given what we have heard about Nairobi. They have guards on the stairs and also X-ray everyone and everything entering the hotel.
Overall this is a nice hotel for a short stay and if we are fortunate enough to be in Kenya again, we would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear JD1316,

It was our pleasure to host you during last year's festive season. We are glad you had such a memorable stay from your comments.

We look forward to engaging you in our social media pages for fresh updates on information and events within and around the hotel.

Shanghai
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I cannot understand why this hotel got the traveller choice award. I have nothing againts this hotel personally, no serious incident, nothing special really.

I come with a high expectation, with bell and whitle in their website like "luxury 5 star hotel", "Prince of Wales", "Hemingway", etc. But what I found is not up to expectation. First off, it is very difficult to understand this hotel being a five star hotel, let alone a luxury one. The main gate and car waiting place is very small, resulting in long queue of the car every day, this might not be the hotel's fault given it's location, but I do not feel very safe with the exposed part of this hotel being very small.

Talking about being safe, I do not feel safe at all in this hotel where the security in the front door is very tight. I heard that terrorist sometimes target this hotel because it has a lot of foreigner. So the security guard always have me take out my mobile phone with fear that it is something dangerous.

And in every stories of the building, there is always at least 1 (sometimes 2 or 3) guard manning the staircase. While I was supposed to feel safe by their presence, but it's not! I feel they cast a 'security' look even to me and kind of always on high alert averytime. Hey, I am asian with yellow skin and very obvious travelling on business! Do not worry I will do anything! They are supposed to be trained how to give some sense of peace to the guests while still keeping security.

Despite 3 restaurants on site, none of them have buffet dinner, this is kinda disappointing as I am forced to buy ala carte when I want to have buffet. Note: on the plus side: the portion is big!

The thorn tree cafe is not special despite having the name hemingway attached to it. The lobby is pitiable from the size (I know about the hotel's location etc, do not remind me again). The room is so so. I prefer a suburb manor with this style which can give me peace. In the city, a modern hotel will serve better in Nairobi.

The location is not so good. Yes, it is located in the middle of the city, but I do not feel perfectly safe here. I prefer Intercontinental's location, which is more walking distance with safer area to the cathedral. For Sarova stanley, I do not feel safe walking to the cathedral, in spite the advises from many people that is is quite ok during the daytime.

No whirlpool, the gym is cramped. Luckily the room is large enough. Note: on my second day, the room service only refill 1 mineral bottle, usually it is 3. No separate shower, so you need to be careful not to wet the floor easily.

If you are on business, unless your business partner located very near to this hotel, I prefer other hotel. The location is right in the middle of the city and we are fed up with the city scape which is not really inspiring (cramped, etc, you can imagine)... And clearly it is not really comfortable also for leisure. Traffic jam is so severe in Nairobi every day leading to and from city. I would prefer a hotel in Nairobi suburb overlooking the nice Ngong hill.

If this hotel claim as 4 star hotel, maybe I can give 'average' or 'very good' score (even though the price might not be suitable for 4 star hotel in Nairobi).

If you are travelling on leisure, and really want to 'experience' the big name of this hotel being a fan of Hemingway, etc, I would suggest just to come to the thorn tree cafe to have dinner / lunch, continued to the bar. No need to stay here as I do not find it comfortable enough.

Dear Josh_Bdg,

Thank you for your feedback, we value your comments

We appreciate your recommendation for Thorn Tree café, large rooms and our history that has been conserved without any adulteration to the product.

The points you have raised are significant. Security is a global problem. Threats have occurred in airports, supermarkets, malls, embassies, government offices and even banks. We are not an island, as we host guests from all over the world and we must follow trend by trying to deter any unforeseen threats. Also, we are neutral, our service to our guests is not driven by race, colour, gender, creed, religion or other differences or affiliations. We look at the common good of all our visitors, staffs and even neighbours. On our location, just like other cities, Nairobi has grown and we being the centre landmark are privileged to remain historical and monumental.

We have noted your comments on areas of improvement.

Be sure to follow-us on our Twitter handle or be our fan on our Facebook page.

Boutersem
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Stayed 2 nights in this hotel, both on 3th & 7th floor,, rooms were equally furnished, the one on the on the 3th with noise from the street. Rooms are oké and clean.
Breakfast is good, can sit inside or outside on the terras, service of drinks a bit slow at times. Had also lunch and dinner in this restaurant, service is fantastic & friendly, the food is cooked to preference. Resto at the pool ( don't expect olympic size) is perfect for a drink. Had the buffet lunch, which is up to african standards, no fine cuisine but fair choice. Situation of the hotel in city centre, which is perfect but can take time to get out of the city because of traffic. Check in & out procedure a bit slow but correct.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Bart,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us, we appreciate your feedback and look forward to hosting you again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We hesitate a lot before booking at this hotel. We're very familiar with the Fairmont hotels and there is one in Nairobi. But a last minute special deal convince us to try it.

Well we were not disappointed, in fact we would go back there our next time. The hotel feel like a museum on the first couple floors. With all the pictures and rich wood decorations, we had the impression our journey had already started. The main asset of this hotel is undeniably the staff. Not just friendly, charming! Lots of free services, wi-fi and mostly the free storage. Our East Africa journey was divided on several portions and Nairobi was our hub. What a luxury to be able to leave some souvenirs and extra clothing behind for a few days. The whole process is secured and easy... it made our trip so much enjoyable.

In total, we were there three times and our rooms were immaculates. Flat tv, comfortable bed and stylish furniture. Personally I think the rooms could use a little refresh (wall, carpet, style) but my wife found it charming... so it's a personal view.

We were on our honeymoon... an example the staff goes over their head to please you... they left us a little surprise three times!

Thumbs up to the staff, the Torn Tree Café and the restaurant... the checking out process is a little too complicated and long... to improve in the future.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear David,

Thank you for your feedback. It was our pleasure to host you in our heritage treasure and be part of your honeymoon experience. We have noted your comment on areas of improvement. On your next trip, we hope to exceed your expectation.