“AWESOME HOTEL !!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sarova Stanley

You added Sarova Stanley to your Saves list
Sarova Stanley
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner of Kenyatta Avenue and Kimathi Street | PO Box 30680, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Special Offer
Complementary Transfer
Ranked #8 of 106 Hotels in Nairobi
Lagos
“AWESOME HOTEL !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed for two nights on our way to and back from Masai Mara. We were struck by the Victorian elegance and the amazingly friendly staff as soon as we entered the hotel. We were given an excellent room.....spacious, spotlessly clean and very elegantly done. The Thai Chi restaurant was beyond expectations. The restaurant staff was so friendly and helpful....i would like to make a special mention of Nicolas. The Thorn Tree Cafe was also extremely good......the fish was simply out of the world. The breakfast spread was also very very good. We really enjoyed staying there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to post your feedback.

We are delighted that our refreshing hospitality met and surpassed your expectation. This motivates us to continually improve our products and services. We have noted your special mention and the pictures shared.

Once again, thank you and welcome back.

Sarova Stanley.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Turkish first
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

The hotel is located in the heart of Nairobi. The hotel old beautiful style and very friendly staff is only one reason for returning, the food is also delicious!
The hotelpool is very nice and has sun until the sunset, perfect for a swim and a drink!

The only problem is that the location makes the sleep a bit difficult as the matatus (minibusses) and larger trucks starts hooting as early as 04 in the morning. There are also a lot of traffic passing during the evening and people on the streets so ask for a room with windows not to the maindoor if possible.
As Nairobi is really getting crowded with cars one should consider it when choosing a hotel as getting around might take hours..!

Room Tip: It could get really noisy during the night and early morning, try to get a room away from the road.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Greetings and thank you for your review.

We are glad you had a pleasant and memorable stay with us, at the heart of the city, despite the noise from outside. For all future inquires, kindly contact us on thestanley@sarovahotels.com and we look forward to your next visit.

Near London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Just returned from an amazing 18 night stay at the Stanley and I can't praise the hotel highly enough. From the moment you walk through the front door you are instantly taken by the Victorian elegance of the place and the amazingly friendly staff. I was travelling with my 4 year old son who to be honest can be qiute boisterous at times but nothing was ever to much trouble for the staff who went out of their way to keep my son happy and make him feel welcome (something that you often can't say about 5 star hotels). Breakfast was a delight with freshly cut tropical fruits, pastries to die for and a never fading smile. Rose the egg counter chef would have my omelette made to perfection before I had got to the counter. Scolah & Beatrice the waitresses would have my son's glass of milk within seconds and we just felt so at home. The room was really large and very welcoming. Samuel our housekeeper would always be ready to help and keep our room well stocked with all the essentials. Also contrary to some comments we had no issues being on a low floor overlooking the nightclubs of Kenyatta Ave as the room had been very successfully sound-proofed Steve and the rest of the concierge team made sure that anything we needed could be found.

A great hotel which I will return to on my next visit.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

We appreciate your feedback on your last stay with us. Thank you for the special mentions and the overall rating of the hotel.

Looking forward to hosting you again.

David Gachuru
Sarova Stanley
Strassen, Luxembourg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

First of all the good:

- nice and comfortable room
- excellent Thai restaurant
- very polite and kind staff

But:

- I arrived around 9am and asked if I could access a room as I had to get ready for a more formal meeting. I was told that this would be possible if I would pay a full extra day. Sorry, but that's not usual. As I refused, I was told that 'it was my day of luck' and that I would get one and above all for free.
- my rate included a dinner. My dinner was nevertheless invoiced, I reminded about the rate and it was - partially - removed.
- beside the Thai restaurant - which is excellent - the other restaurants are rather basic and quality of the food is not up to the quality of the hotel.

• Stayed December 2012
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.

We regret the experiences that resulted in the sentiments expressed in your review. We have noted your feedback on our level of interactions at check-in and check-out, our billing accuracy and food quality in the restaurants. We highly appreciate your feedback and it will go a long way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests. It is such ratings that make all efforts worthwhile.

We look forward to welcoming you back. You may contact us on thestanley@sarovahotels.com or call +254 20 2757000 for future bookings.

David Gachuru.
Brossard, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I was in Nairobi for 3 nights on business and the client chose the Sarova Stanley. Very good choice.

The hotel has a very british colonial feel to it. Which means you get great service, always very classy, and you feel important.

The hotel staff is very helpful, polite and kind. Rooms are large, with all the necessary amenities. Showers could be more modern though: it was just the old-school shower/bath with a curtain.

The outdoor pool on the fifth floor, surrounded by tables to dine or work is very nice.

I particularly enjoyed the historic feel of the hotel, with many old pictures and stories about former patrons and british colonial lore.

The hotel's main restaurant is very good, but the "à la carte" thai restaurant is by far superior. That is one great restaurant!

The hotel is located in the heart of the city, close to many shops, coffee shops, banks and restaurants.

Wireless internet is free but you have to create a new account every time. Minor annoyance.

It's not cheap though.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review of your recent stay with us.

We appreciate your feedback and are glad that we were a good choice. Looking forward to hosting you again.

David Gachuru.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

I stayed in the hotel 2 nights/3days and had a pleasant stay. Always greeted with a friendly smile by all staff from the security at each level to gym attendants, the guy at the desk in the lobby maobe was very courteous and helpful, ensuring stay at hotel & in nairobi went smoothly. The rooms are nice & comfortable, with flat screen tv if you just wanted to lay low for a bit. Being a regular exerciser I used the gym on the 3 days I was there, it was a nice environment to workout & staff were friendly. I didnt try out the pool but it looked nice & was surrounded by a beautiful bar & dining area. I would certainly recommemd trying out all the 3 main food restaurants at the stanley. Would stay again & recommend to friends & other travellers.

• Stayed November 2012
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review. We highly appreciate your recommendation too.

Looking forward to hosting you again.

Vermilion, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

This was our first trip to Nairobi and we didn't know what to expect. The taxi ride from the airport through dark streets, crazy 'round-abouts' and the all-night party in front of the hotel left us wondering what we had got ourselves into. But once we walked through the metal detector into the Stanley, we found ourselves in another world. Here we were greeted by smiles, warm wash cloths and cool juice before we even registered. The Stanley belongs to another age and proundly displays it with its fine old architecture (strictly Queen Victorian) and excellent service. One example: the security guard on our floor (the hotel is filled with them) remembered who we were and kindly re-directed us to our room when we got lost upon returning from dinner. Many of these "old" hotels display good service in the lobby, but not in the remainder of the hotel. But in the Stanley it is always service with a smile from the bartender to the locker-room attendant.

After seeing the loud street party outside the hotel I asked for my usual quiet room and to my surprise I actually got one. We were at the hotel for Friday and Saturday nights, but never heard a peep from outside of our room. Next to the great service, the best thing about the Stanley is its architecture - which I would describe as "there will always be an England." Right down to the original overhead fans in the bar this place reeks of history and a more sensible time, when travel was for the refined.

Wanting to rest up from our jet lag before embarking on safari, we never left the Stanley for 1/1/2 days. We found all our meals to be quite good. The morning buffet, served in a delightful setting adjacent to a busy Nairobi street, was particularly good with a wide selection of foods and again great service. Dinner was on the terrace overlooking the pool and turned out to be very enjoyable.

I recommend a swim in the pool, if for no other reason that to experience the old world charm of the locker rooms. My wife had a massage at the spa which she found very restful and inexpensive by western standards. I hit the exercise room - well equipped - with an attendant who made sure I knew how to operate the equipment, something one hardly ever experiences in the US.

All in all a very restful stay at a grand old dame. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room overlooking the interior courtyard. I would imagine the exterior rooms can be...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
David G, Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback, it is highly appreciated.

We are glad that we met and exceeded your expectation and for this you rated your experience 5/5. Once again thank you and we hope to host you again.

David Gachury,
Generall Manager.

Been to Sarova Stanley? Share your experiences!