“Too much discussions” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sarova Stanley

Save Saved
You added Sarova Stanley to your Saves list
Sarova Stanley
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner of Kenyatta Avenue and Kimathi Street | PO Box 30680, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Special Offer
Complementary Transfer
Ranked #9 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
Strassen, Luxembourg
“Too much discussions”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

First of all the good:

- nice and comfortable room
- excellent Thai restaurant
- very polite and kind staff

But:

- I arrived around 9am and asked if I could access a room as I had to get ready for a more formal meeting. I was told that this would be possible if I would pay a full extra day. Sorry, but that's not usual. As I refused, I was told that 'it was my day of luck' and that I would get one and above all for free.
- my rate included a dinner. My dinner was nevertheless invoiced, I reminded about the rate and it was - partially - removed.
- beside the Thai restaurant - which is excellent - the other restaurants are rather basic and quality of the food is not up to the quality of the hotel.

• Stayed December 2012
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.

We regret the experiences that resulted in the sentiments expressed in your review. We have noted your feedback on our level of interactions at check-in and check-out, our billing accuracy and food quality in the restaurants. We highly appreciate your feedback and it will go a long way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests. It is such ratings that make all efforts worthwhile.

We look forward to welcoming you back. You may contact us on thestanley@sarovahotels.com or call +254 20 2757000 for future bookings.

David Gachuru.

563 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Turkish first
Brossard, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I was in Nairobi for 3 nights on business and the client chose the Sarova Stanley. Very good choice.

The hotel has a very british colonial feel to it. Which means you get great service, always very classy, and you feel important.

The hotel staff is very helpful, polite and kind. Rooms are large, with all the necessary amenities. Showers could be more modern though: it was just the old-school shower/bath with a curtain.

The outdoor pool on the fifth floor, surrounded by tables to dine or work is very nice.

I particularly enjoyed the historic feel of the hotel, with many old pictures and stories about former patrons and british colonial lore.

The hotel's main restaurant is very good, but the "à la carte" thai restaurant is by far superior. That is one great restaurant!

The hotel is located in the heart of the city, close to many shops, coffee shops, banks and restaurants.

Wireless internet is free but you have to create a new account every time. Minor annoyance.

It's not cheap though.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review of your recent stay with us.

We appreciate your feedback and are glad that we were a good choice. Looking forward to hosting you again.

David Gachuru.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

I stayed in the hotel 2 nights/3days and had a pleasant stay. Always greeted with a friendly smile by all staff from the security at each level to gym attendants, the guy at the desk in the lobby maobe was very courteous and helpful, ensuring stay at hotel & in nairobi went smoothly. The rooms are nice & comfortable, with flat screen tv if you just wanted to lay low for a bit. Being a regular exerciser I used the gym on the 3 days I was there, it was a nice environment to workout & staff were friendly. I didnt try out the pool but it looked nice & was surrounded by a beautiful bar & dining area. I would certainly recommemd trying out all the 3 main food restaurants at the stanley. Would stay again & recommend to friends & other travellers.

• Stayed November 2012
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review. We highly appreciate your recommendation too.

Looking forward to hosting you again.

David Gachuru,
Sarova Stanley.
Vermilion, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

This was our first trip to Nairobi and we didn't know what to expect. The taxi ride from the airport through dark streets, crazy 'round-abouts' and the all-night party in front of the hotel left us wondering what we had got ourselves into. But once we walked through the metal detector into the Stanley, we found ourselves in another world. Here we were greeted by smiles, warm wash cloths and cool juice before we even registered. The Stanley belongs to another age and proundly displays it with its fine old architecture (strictly Queen Victorian) and excellent service. One example: the security guard on our floor (the hotel is filled with them) remembered who we were and kindly re-directed us to our room when we got lost upon returning from dinner. Many of these "old" hotels display good service in the lobby, but not in the remainder of the hotel. But in the Stanley it is always service with a smile from the bartender to the locker-room attendant.

After seeing the loud street party outside the hotel I asked for my usual quiet room and to my surprise I actually got one. We were at the hotel for Friday and Saturday nights, but never heard a peep from outside of our room. Next to the great service, the best thing about the Stanley is its architecture - which I would describe as "there will always be an England." Right down to the original overhead fans in the bar this place reeks of history and a more sensible time, when travel was for the refined.

Wanting to rest up from our jet lag before embarking on safari, we never left the Stanley for 1/1/2 days. We found all our meals to be quite good. The morning buffet, served in a delightful setting adjacent to a busy Nairobi street, was particularly good with a wide selection of foods and again great service. Dinner was on the terrace overlooking the pool and turned out to be very enjoyable.

I recommend a swim in the pool, if for no other reason that to experience the old world charm of the locker rooms. My wife had a massage at the spa which she found very restful and inexpensive by western standards. I hit the exercise room - well equipped - with an attendant who made sure I knew how to operate the equipment, something one hardly ever experiences in the US.

All in all a very restful stay at a grand old dame. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room overlooking the interior courtyard. I would imagine the exterior rooms can be...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
David G, Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback, it is highly appreciated.

We are glad that we met and exceeded your expectation and for this you rated your experience 5/5. Once again thank you and we hope to host you again.

David Gachury,
Generall Manager.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Stayed in Stanley on 9th Nov 2012 ,having stayed there several times in the past.
Again we were not disappointed, everything was excellent,rooms , food,staff, decor, bars.
This is the way a hotel should be run. Nothing was to much trouble for them ,from airport pick up,helping with lost safe code to arranging transport to a function later that night.The staff were courteous, helpful and friendly ,a credit to the management.
Hopefully we will be back,would not stay anywhere else when in Nairobiu.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

It is always our pleasure to host you and thank you for your feedback.

Sarova Stanley
Wickford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 1 night whilst transferring from a safari to beach holiday. The hotel was lovely and the staff very friendly. The rooms here are very spacious and comfortable. The hotel was bieng decorated whilst we were their (which we had not been advised) but this didnt affect our stay. The breakfast here is buffet. Travel to and from the airport is very bad, lots of stationary traffic

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and for rating our services.

We hope to host you again so that you may experience the enhanced luxury while the heritage and history has been maintained.

Winchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel three times, its bang in the centre of Nairobi but i felt secure at all times. The staff are friendly and the 'public' areas are in good order, tastefully 'period decorated', service is prompt and efficient - except at breakfast where it all goes a bit 'African'. The hotel has a variety of restaurants and bars, I found the food very good. The gym is well equipped but quite small and the pool area is rather 'tight' as it is located on one of the upper floors. If you are after some tanning action then you might struggle as surrounding buildings can cast shade on the pool area depending on the time of day.

But the purpose of a hotel for sleeping and here there is a big contrast between small/large, old or modern rooms. I have experienced a plethora of contrasting rooms in my three stays - each of varying quality some good -some bad

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your feedback.

We appreciate your loyalty and hope for continued support. We have noted the concerns raised and we are working towards ensuring guest comfort. Looking forward to hosting you again and again.

General Manager.

Been to Sarova Stanley? Share your experiences!