“Classic-style hotel, modern and friendly” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sarova Stanley

Save Saved
You added Sarova Stanley to your Saves list
Sarova Stanley
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner of Kenyatta Avenue and Kimathi Street | PO Box 30680, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Special Offer
Complementary Transfer
Ranked #9 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Classic-style hotel, modern and friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Although the exterior of the Stanley isn't much to look at, the interior is richly beautiful in an old-world style. Original carved woodwork and other touches give the hotel a historic feel but with all the modern amenities. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. I stayed on the third floor and used the stairs to come and go, and I was typically greeted by as many as 5 staff people on my way to or from my room. Every staff person I interacted with could speak English well.

My room was very nice, with a desk, a sitting area with the TV, and the bedroom. Channel options were limited--several news channels, some sports channels, and little else. Everything in the room worked fine, and the wi-fi signal was strong, although the speed of the connection was quite slow--good enough for emails, but not fast enough to stream a movie. My "view" was of a building just a few feet away, so I kept my drapes drawn throughout my stay. The bathroom was nicely appointed and included a 115 volt outlet that I used to charge my phone without the need for a special adapter.

The breakfast buffet was an enormous spread of meats and hot side dishes, baked goods, cereals, fresh fruits and juices, and a few African specialities each morning. There was also chef making omelets to order. My only complaint involved the coffee. Kenya produces some of the finest coffees in the world, yet a luxury hotel, such as the Stanley, serves Nescafe. Worse, when your cup is empty, it remains empty, until you flag down and server and ask for a refill.

I had one dinner meal in the hotel, at the Pool Deck Restaurant, which provides open-air dining. The meal and service were very good.

The fitness facilities were compact, but adequate, and the gym also has a sauna and steam room. The pool is on a roof terrace, and it was well maintained and provided some limited seating for relaxing.

The hotel is located in a busy part of downtown, only a few, walkable blocks to the Kenyatta International Conference Center. However, because of the location, the hotel does require that you pass through a metal detector, and hotel staff give a quick look in any bags you carry in to the lobby. After a few trips in and out, the staff recognized me and gave me a very cursory "inspection."

I needed to use the Business Center while at the hotel, to print out handouts for a presentation (the airline temporarily lost the bag containing the copies I brought with me). The staff person printed 75 copies without previewing them, and the edges of my document were cut off. When I complained, she offered to print 50 more properly sized to fit on the page, at half price, which I accepted at the time. After some thought, I went down to the desk and said I'd be happy to pay full price for the 50 correctly printed copies, but didn't see the point in paying anything for the unusable 75 copies. When I checked out, the entire print order had been comped, which was a generous resolution on the part of the Stanley.

For future trips to Nairobi, I will definitely come back to the Stanley.

Room Tip: I would request a room that does not face the street. There are several bars, casinos, and other bus...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

569 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

I have stayed in the Stanley several times with my son and two friends when going on ,and returning from, self drive safaris.
Each time has been a delight, on the last occasion in March 2011 there was a problem as the company we booked through had not paid the hotel ( a genuine error ).The problem was resolved in a totally professional and discreet manner. The management were very helpful.
I am staying there again on the 9th Nov with my partner before visiting my son who now lives in Nairobi
I would recommend the Stanley to any one who wants to enjoy superb hospitality in a charming old fashioned atmosphere.The reception area is full of photographs of famous visitors from presidents/kings and Karen Blixen,and the thorn tree cafe is a great place to watch the world go by.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
KamauSusan, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the kind and candid review of our hotel.

We are pleased that you often patron with us while in Nairobi and that each visit has been a delight. Sarova Stanley being at the heart of the city is an ideal stopping point while on safari.

The incidence that occurred on your last visit is regrettable however we are happy to learn that it was resolved discretely in conjunction with the hotel’s management. We are pleased to learn that you will visit with us in November and as always assure to accord you the promised “Refreshing African hospitality”.

Please do not hesitate to contact the hotel on thesatanley@sarovahotels.com in case of any inquiries or further information.

Penrith, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

I stayed in this hotel with my 18 year old son in March 2012. The hotel is very nice and the staff lovely. We were made to feel welcome and the staff didn't hesitate to help us with every request we had, including some great photos with the staff in their fabulous uniforms at the end.
Thorn tree cafe food was great. I certainly felt very safe in the hotel, learnt our first swahili words from the security on each level. We did manage a walk around outside, but as a female did feel a little uneasy and did not stray too far.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

That was a nice hotel nice rooms not so nice location and not very nice stuff . No the safest place as my back had been stolen from my room ( thank God I had only money inside and not important documents) so according this experience I had I wouldn't go back ever again ...!!

• Stayed April 2012
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel.

Thank you for pointing out that the hotel and the rooms are nice.

We regret the inconvenience caused when you misplaced your bag and the hotel management is prepared to investigate this incidence. In this regard, please contact us directly on thestanley@sarovahotels.com; and give us further details like the room number and the dates that you stayed in the hotel.

We look forward to hearing from you and hosting you again.

los angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We've traveled in over 50 countries and this was one really weird experience! They checked us in, made us wait 45 minutes then told us they didn't have any rooms as they were checking in other people! Then they moved us to the Hilton all of which took about 2 hours. they seemed to like Businessmen Which we aren't.I wouldn't recommend this to a family or couple.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We highly appreciate guest reviews of their stays.

We regret the experience you went through as you waited to be checked into the hotel and in the end walked to another hotel of a similar star rating. This happened because an expected check-out failed to do so and despite getting a confirmation of your booking, we had to quickly get a similar alternative. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this caused to you and your family and for not meeting your expectations. Please rest assured that corrective measures have been taken to ensure that this does not happen again.

Thank you once again and we look forward to hosting you in the future.

Dundalk, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed three wonderful days at the Stanley. The service was excellent, very friendly and professional. We enjoyed the old British feel, with all the historical pictures. All the meals were very good. Playing a board game in the Exchange bar was a great way to spend a few hours. The heated pool on the roof was fabulous, as was outdoor restaurant. Our room was spacious, immaculate, and quiet. We found the staff to be on par or better then most places we have stayed around the world. We can't wait to go back!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: We stayed on both the second and third floors and found both to be very good.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Nairobi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

I stayed several times in The Stanley for business trips. Last time for almost two weeks. In those cases it is important to me to get excellent service and good food. Indeed the service in the hotel was excellent. The gym is good and the pool is nice.
With respect to food I really can recommend the in house Thai Chi restaurant. The quality of the food was very good and the service of the staff was excellent.
Lucy you did a really good job there!

Jose
Uitgeest The Netherlands

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to Sarova Stanley? Share your experiences!