“A beautiful hotel and a wonderful place to relax and enjoy the charm” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sarova Stanley

Save Saved
You added Sarova Stanley to your Saves list
Sarova Stanley
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner of Kenyatta Avenue and Kimathi Street | PO Box 30680, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Special Offer
Complementary Transfer
Ranked #8 of 100 hotels in Nairobi
East Sussex
“A beautiful hotel and a wonderful place to relax and enjoy the charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

We stayed at the end of our 2 week stay in Kenya after previously staying at the Norfolk so it had a lot to live up to and it did. No issues with security and reception check in and could accommodate a late check out at 6pm which is very welcome when you are due to fly at Midnight. The Exchange bar was really busy but sat at the bar and the bar man was very welcoming and tried to get us a late table at the Tai chi but understandably we were late so went to the Thorn Tree cafe and had a very pleasing meal. The room was beautiful and very very spacious we had a standard suite and all the facilities you would need. We spent time at the roof pool and it was so relaxing and peaceful. The staff were friendly, effecient and pleasant. The security guard on our floor was really helpful and friendly and was a real suprise. I would definitely go back and would recommend it to friends to go and stay....Check out tall Stanley the concierge - he is a character!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

589 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Turkish first
Oslo, Norway
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

My husband & i stayed at the Stanley last month,it was my husband's first time in Kenya,my home country.We went to confirm whether our reservation was ok...before leaving for a 4 day Masai Mara Safari,we talked to an indian receptionist who in my opinion was inefficient,unprofessional since she never made eye contact with me,only with my husband maybe coz he's white. Anyway,she told us that the booking was for a single room,my husband gave her the reservation print out to prove that he had paid for a Double deluxe room....it was in Norwegian of course! i wanted to translate it for her & save her the trouble but like i had mentioned earlier she never made any eye contact with me. She finally understood that the booking was for a Double Deluxe room & assured my husband that the mistake would be corrected once we got back from our Safari.
We came back to Stanley on a Thursday afternoon tired,hoping to retire to our room & rest after a long Safari....that never happened. My husband had to explain from zero that he made a reservation for a double room not single as shown in their records....this time there was a male receptionist & female called who again chose to converse with my husband,totally ignored me as if i never existed! After 15 or so minutes we checked in to a single room 706 i believe,again not what we had paid for. We were told that it was just temporary,only for a night & that the double room would be ready the next day. Friday morning after our breakfast,we headed to the reception had to explain from the beginning to the same female receptionist, i had to intervene since my husband couldn't understand her fake accent,this was the first time she made eye contact with me....she assured us that our room would be ready in 30 minutes.
That never happened! We waited in our room for an hour & a half,we had plans to meet my family but we were delayed. At this point my husband wanted to cancel the reservation,call ebookers office & get a refund as soon as possible. He went down to the reception only to be greeted with countless excuses,he mentioned to the staff that i was he's wife,was very upset. Well,long story short we got our double room after such a lengthy check in process. I have to be honest with you,i never expected this from Stanley....the reception staff & some employees left a nasty taste in my mouth & this is coming from a fellow Kenyan. I always boast to my husband & he's friends how Kenyan hotels are known for great service & hospitality....i was mistaken.
You guys just smile with whites,treating your fellow Kenyans like 2nd class citizens,it's improper & ignorant!
Another issue that bothered us,is how your security staff asks for tips,sodas openly! so unethical & shady! The hotel already charged us plenty plus they just idle around.

Enroll some of the staff in PR classes or something,service wise mko chini!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the the pool deck ,noisy.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
KamauSusan, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, July 8, 2011
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking time to give us your review on your stay with us at Sarova Stanley. We not only appreciate guest feedback, but also take time to investigate the issues raised in order to take action and respond to the customers.

First, we wish to apologize for the slow verification of your booking status and the check-in process that did not meet your expectations. We have noted the areas of weakness and have taken appropriate action to avoid recurrence.

We agree with you on the importance of eye contact when speaking to a guest. In fact, it is one of our key standards for all our employees. In this regard, we usually stress on the importance of our employees concentrating on the person that they are communicating to, directly. This has happened with outstanding appreciation from very many of our customers. We believe that our staff was following this standard. However, we have noted your concern, and will work around it.

Sarova Stanley operates in a multicultural environment where respect for diversity is paramount. The hotel treats its entire staff and customers equally and does not profile them according to the colour of their skin, gender, creed, origin, language or accent. As a team working in an international hotel, this is our position.

On the comment about our security guards, we are concerned and are investigating. Please rest assured that this is an isolated incident that does not reflect on what we stand for.

The hotel’s room rate is a reflection of the high value that we offer our customers to surpass customer expectation.

It was our pleasure to host you and would have been our wish that you experienced our refreshing hospitality. All the same we appreciate your comments but feel that they were rather harsh, judgmental, and almost personal.

We look forward to hosting you again. You can write to us on thestanley@sarovahotels.com or call us on +254 20 2757000.

Warm regards,
David Gachuru,
General Manager.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

One of the oldest hotels in Nairobi, recently refurbished, The Stanley has large rooms, good restaurants, with the Thorn Tree cafe a very popular spot. Great location, grab a cool Tusker beer in the bar!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Bedford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

The Stanley was a very nice hotel. Beds were lovely, extremely comfortable and the room was very spacious. Good views of the city from the balcony and service was excellent. Would recommened.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

The hotel staff were welcoming and nothing too much trouble. We were upgraded to a suite and wished we had longer to stay here. The chef in the Thorn tree restaurant couldn't have been more helpful, I have coeliac disease, he cooked a meal for me making sure no gluten was included. We dined there again in the evening and again Richard and all the staff were professional, helpful and friendly. The food was good and the service excellent. We were sorry our stay was so short.

Coimbatore, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

I stayed with my family for 1 night before starting my african safari in june 2011. The hotel is well located in the central business area of nairobi, with restaurants,money changers,pharmacies and other places of utility nearby. The rooms were neat, clean and very spacious. The decor was modern, the staff were very friendly and courteous. The breakfast was excellent,the room service was quick They have a lovely heated swimming pool on the terrace.However i felt the rooms were overpriced..And they sold me 2 cellphone sim cards which dint work during my entire stay in kenya. I finally got to know at the airport airtel customer care before departing that the validity of the sim cards that were sold to me had expired long ago

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
KamauSusan, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, June 22, 2011
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking time to pen-down feedback on your recent stay with us. It was my pleasure to host you and I look forward to hosting you again.

We appreciate your positive reviews on our central location, spacious rooms, Victorian décor, good breakfast, quick room-service and friendly staff. However, you also raised a concern on validity of SIM cards you purchased and your room rate. In order to prevent the problem from reoccurring, I will kindly ask you to give more information on your reservation details and where the SIM cards where purchased. Please write to me at thestanley@sarovahotels.com or call me on +254 20 2757000. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Once again thank you.

Warm regards,
David Gachuru,
General Manager.
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed for one night at the Sarova Stanley after a week in Mombassa - set in the smart banking district in the City. We arrived much earlier than exected due to early flight connection and this meant we were at the hotel by 09:30am (we were due around 11:30am). This is the ONLY hotel I have EVER visited that has been able to check us straight into a room on arrival this early and whilst I understand it was low season and there are many airport guests who check out early, this was a huge plus for us and was really appreciated.

The hotel style is amazing, very colonial with lots of history and pictureseverywhere but still with a modern feel. You are first greeted outside by the smartly dressed staff and could almost believe you are at a top London hotel. There is lots of dark wood and brass and everything is well looked after. The rooms are large and modern with lots of light and storage and everything you would expect from a quality hotel. The beds were super confortable and although we could hear some outside noise from local bars at night time which went on very late, this was not be a problem fas we were so tired, and for light sleepers would easily be resolved with earplugs. We actually had the best nights sleep our entire trip here! The pool area is great should you have time to use it and the bar is very smart indeed. There is choice of resturants if you dont fancy going out although, there are some great places nearby which are very safe to walk to.

Our only area for improvment would be the service we had in 2 areas. The first by the pool bar, there are plenty of staff but they will not come to you, you have to go to them to order and although it was a boiling hot day, our plates were left after lunch for several hours and infact were not removed before we left. The second, the service in the Thai restuarant, here we struggled with our waiter who we had to ask for a menu four times and everything seemed very difficult from ordering to getting the bill.

Apart from these 2 areas, all other hotel staff were wonderful from the reception, to the concierge, to the security, to the housekeeping. There is a small arcade of shops selling lots of supplies and gifts. The hotel even supply an early breakfast for airport departures.

One final point, please do not be concerned by the security presence in the hotel - there is a airport style metal detector on arrival and guards in the stairwell of each floor - it seems to be more for reassurance as everything felt very safe.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Sarova Stanley? Share your experiences!