“Like somewhere Hemmingway would stay! Gorgeous!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sarova Stanley

Save Saved
You added Sarova Stanley to your Saves list
Sarova Stanley
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner of Kenyatta Avenue and Kimathi Street | PO Box 30680, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Special Offer
Complementary Transfer
Ranked #9 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
maui, hi
“Like somewhere Hemmingway would stay! Gorgeous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

When you enter the Stanley, you feel like you have gone back in time to when the first people came to Kenya for Safari. This historic hotel is gorgeous, and although it is 100 years old, it has every modern convenience you could possibly want or need.
Our room was huge for our family of 3 (The Stanley and the Hilton are the only 2 Nairobi hotels we found that could accomodate more than 2 people in a room without having to purchase 2 rooms).
The outdoor pool was huge and VERY warm, which we personally loved, and the gym was modern, and had every thing you could need to have a good workout.
The breakfast buffet was fabulous, but then again, every Sarova hotel where we stayed had fabulous food.
The staff was also fabulous. Like every hotel in Kenya, the staff seems to outnumber guests at least 4 to 1, and they are always smiling and wanting to help you.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
KamauSusan, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, April 13, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of the hotel. It was our pleasure to host you not only at Sarova Stanley, but also in other Sarova properties located in various scenic sites of Kenya.

I am happy, just like Hemmingway, you stayed with us and had a memorable stay in this heritage hotel. The age-old Victorian décor, room size for a family of three people and in-room amenities, heated swimming pool and fitness centre, food and most of all our customer service through our staff made your stay wholesome and enriched your experiance. Once again thank you.

I look forward to hosting you again.

Best Regards,

572 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

The Stanley proudly displays an award in the Lobby - the Best Luxury Business Hotel 2010. But from where I am now, it's hard to imagine how.

I've stayed for about 4 weeks in Jan '11, and I'm in the middle of a 3 week stay now. Don't get me wrong, the Stanley is a good hotel. The Thai Chi restaurant is nice, The people are friendly, from the security guards to the waiters and waitresses and the maintenance staff.

But it's often the small things that really matter, and I've noticed a lot of them in my 7-week stay:

1. The drawer holding the hair dryer is stuck open and won't close.
2. Bottled water and coffee/tea are not consistently refilled
3. My 'do not disturb' sign mysteriously disappeared one night
4. The soap in the bathroom had dried up so much it was a bit powdery
5. Ridiculous late check out terms (I stay for one month and you won't extend my check-out 2 measly hours?)
6. Absolutely abysmal internet connection when the hotel is on high occupancy - worse than my days on 28.8kbps dial-up years ago.

Are these particularly a big deal? In my opinion, yes, considering that the Stanley claims itself to be a 5-star hotel, and considering it's also supposedly the world's best luxury business hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
KamauSusan, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, March 30, 2011
Dear Guest,
Greetings from Sarova Stanley and thank you for being our long and regular customer.

We acknowledge your reviews with a lot of respect because they reflect a first hand experience. We do agree with you that small things matter and should not be a big deal for us to resolve.

On the issue of the drawer being left half open, we do this as a norm to indicate the location of the hair dryer. However, we will relocate the latter to a more convinient location.

On the drinking water, we provide two bottle on complimentary daily, regardless of the number of days spent by a customer. Once these are consumed, we sell the water from the mini bar provided in the room. Additionally, we provide room service where the same can be ordered from. We trust that this is a fair offer to our customers.

It is regretable that the 'Do not disturb' signed was removed and not returned. It is not the standard that we have in this hotel, but since it happened, please be assured that we will address. On the same note, we will also adress the bath soap spec, which we keep in all guest rooms to supplement the big variety of amenities.

After a month's stay, we should not have a problem with a late check out. Honestly, we normally do not have for even shorter stays unless we have a full house and early check ins. That is why our check out time is quite generous at 1000 hours. We will investigate this point and take appropriate action.

We have taken note of the internet speeds and will address the same with our service provider. We understand your frustration and wish to thank you for bringing it up. We have done major up-grades on this and we hope to achieve great inprovements.

Once again, may I sincerely thank you for your review. It is through these that we improve and it is also how we got the international Awards.

Please be assured that we value you and your comments, greatly. We look forward hosting you again and again, each time with improved experiences.

Best regards
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

Stanley was our base hotel for Safari. Pre Safari stayed for 2nights, post safari stayed one night. Receptionist was kinda (maybe normal for Kenyan time). Hallways had the old school feel - enjoyed. Soldiers on each floor was a nice touch. Not sure what the metal detector at the front did - did not make me feel safe at all. Morning breakfast was a definite plus - juices & omelets were very good. Besides the restaurants with the hotel, I'm not sure what available options there are outside the hotel. Construction was done at the front of the hotel during our stay - I expect it to look very nice. The client-ale seemed to be business/convention and preSafari tourist.

Contrary to the Frommer's guide book's review, I very much enjoyed my stay (with the exception to the receptionist). It was a chain hotel, with personality (pictures on walls, wood staining on rails, live plants on each floor). Free wireless internet was a definite plus.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
KamauSusan, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, March 16, 2011
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for your review.

We have noted your concern on our speed of delivery and we assure you that we will address this immediately.

Looking forward to hosting you again.

Yours Sincerely,
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

I went for my business trip to Nairobi and I stayed in The Sarova Stanley. The accomdation was good but unfortunately when i checked out of the hotel on 12th March at 6.20 AM I found that my bill was charged extra for food and use of bar.

A female named ' Diana' was there in the counter I explained to her that I did not use anything from the bar and they mentioned that I took Beer. I do not have a habit of taking any wine I have to argue with her for more than 25 minutes and finally she said that the House Keeping people have put it by mistake. I was having a international flight and I have to rush to the airport but unfortunately I have to miss the flight due to delay.

After I settled the bill and came out the security hold me there saying that the cashier must give a yellow color out pass or else they cant allow me to leave. She even forgot to give me that . Not even a Single Sorry came from her mouth and they are in Hospitality Industry.

Kindly stay there but before checking out make sure you check your bills once again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear guest,

Greetings from Sarova Stanley and thank you for choosing to stay with us while in Nairobi.

We appreciate your feedback. First, I would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused during your check-out that clouded your pleasant stay with us.

On the issue of wrong billing, this is not a standard in this hotel. However since it happened, please be assured that we will address it immediately for quick and accurate check-out process.

At Sarova Stanley, we are committed to meeting and exceeding guest expectation through good customer service. In our efforts to do this, we have invested in continuous training and evaluation programmes. All these with the aim of achieving high standards of professionalism and hospitality to regain and maintain guest loyalty.

Once again thank you for your patronage and we look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Best Regards,
David Gachuru
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

Had a nice 3 night stay for a business trip, exceed my expectations on all fronts. Some renovations are in progress, and it appears it will finish shortly.

• Stayed February 2011
KamauSusan, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, March 11, 2011
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us while in Nairobi. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to hosting you again. The renovations are aimed at improving service delivery and enhance guest comfort, I am very sure on your next visit you will be impressed with the level of service and hotel upgrade.

We would like to get in touch with you and update you on progress. Kindly reach us on telephone 254 20 2757000 or email us at thestanley@sarovahotels.com

Thank you again for your comment.

Yours Sincerely,
General Manager.
Essex, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

Very good central location for tourists or business people. Extremely friendly staff that could not be more helpful. Good security with a smile and a salute.

We loved the Thorn Tree Cafe which can be accessed from either the interior or the exterior of the hotel. A great for spot for revival refreshments, or a reasonably priced meal.

Really good choice of food for the mainly self service breakfast. Eggs cooked freshly for you to order whilst you wait. Interesting colonial memorabilia photographs on the walls and a few integral arcade shops if you do not feel like going out.

Would definitely stay at this hotel again.

East Anglia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

Picked the Stanley as a reliable no-surprises city stopover after the long flight from London. We were given an upgrade to a very large Club room which was perfect for us – quiet, comfortable, with two very firm beds. The security guard on each floor was a nice touch! Not much else to say really. You’re getting a bit of a taste of colonial Nairobi (modern rooms, but mock-Victorian decor), yet there’s still a 24-hour coffee shop which provides a welcome starter Tusker, and a limited basic menu. In fact, my slightly chilli-ed midnight tilapia fillet (with chips) there turned out to be one of the best meals I had in Kenya, although it took over half-an-hour to arrive despite the restaurant being deserted.

Breakfast was an above-average international buffet, with the odd exotic local and Indian dish to try too. Finally, you are smack in the middle of downtown if you need an ATM or any other last-minute shopping odds before your car arrives to pick you up. Staff at Reception were very smiley and professional, but as everywhere glacially slow.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Sarova Stanley? Share your experiences!