“To be honest, I was shocked at the impact of the whole experience... Instant relaxation...this place is a wow.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Giraffe Manor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Giraffe Manor
You added Giraffe Manor to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Langata Rd, Langata, Nairobi, Kenya   |
Ranked #1 of 105 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2010

My first visit was during the tourist off season this last November, and I instantly fell in love. Passion fruit was in season and the drinks on the terrace on arrival were ambrosia like. I stayed in the Karen Blixen suite and luxuriated in a bathtub covered with so many red rose blossoms that they nearly covered the bath water. The rest of the room was furnished with Blixen's actual furniture! The Manor under what I understand is new ownership is heavenly...giraffes peaking at you over breakfast, hot tea or sherry delivered to your room at tea/drinks time... Terribly helpful and able staff and hosts...even your own technology issues cured instantly. In the evening we had a choice of dinner in the private dining room or on the veranda..both very elegant and comfortable. Food was luscious but nothing really matches the setting which is all enveloping and intoxicating.. Red earth, an English country manor, giraffes with personalities and names, and all of this within the environs of Nairobi. To be honest, I was shocked at the impact of the whole experience... Instant relaxation...this place is a wow.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2009

Truly a unique experience!! Where else in the world can you be greeted by giraffes in the morning, where they stand just half a metre away from you, sometimes closer and where you can have breakfast as they poke their heads into a house to say hello?! Such gentle and beautiful animals. Everyone was so friendly especially Cosmos who had a special bond with the giraffes and demonstated the 'giraffe kiss' to us. If you are visiting or passing through Nairobi and want to stay somewhere with a different with a amazing experience, then stop off here even if it is for one night!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Novato, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2009

This is my second visit to Giraffe Manor. I took some friends there and they were not disappointed. We had such a majical and special time.. Barney the young giraffee did not disappoint. He is such a character. We had a great dinner and even ran into an old friend from California that was there the same night. After dinner there is time to visit with guests and relax.We had a lovely room in front and the giraffes came up to the window in the morning to visit and eat goodies.. The charm of the place is the giraffes. It is so amazing to watch them play and enjoy the guests. We had a wonderful breakfast and hated to leave..The staff was great and as always Cosmos is the best..It was again fun to experience the charm of Giraffe Manor.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Merida, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2009

This Was the first hotel of our honey moon and it was a great election to began out photography safari.

Love the Hotel the people and the concept also the food was great and the attention of the people we felt like a true guest.
our

Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2009

I have been to Giraffe Manor twice, the first time in February 2008 and the second in January of this year. My first visit really blew me away. It's a simply amazing place, the giraffes are so gentle and you really get close to them. The staff, especially Cosmos, were truly special. The hosts then, I think it was David and his wife, were fabulous. We didn't feel as if we were staying in a hotel, they made us so welcome.
I returned this year with high expectations. Everything was still as fantastic apart from the new hosts, Rudy and his wife. I travelled alone this time and when I went down for lunch I went into the dining room where Rudy was reading a book. It took at least 2 minutes for him to acknowledge that I was there. His wife seemed to also ignore me which is not pleasant as a solo traveller. The previous visit David and his wife really made an effort to include a young woman on her own.
It's hard to describe what the problem was, they weren't actively rude to me, it just seemed that they thought themselves a bit above working in a hotel and it made me feel quite uncomfortable in such a small place. Don't let this put you off from going- it's an amazing place to stay, truly unique. I just feel that the owners should know that the new hosts let them down.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

I loved my stay at Giraffe Manor. Being a solo traveller I couldn't have asked for any better hosts than what I found in Mari-anne and Rudi. I stayed in Daisy's Room and it was so comfortable and spacious with a beautiful view onto the back garden.
I was greeted on arrival by Mari-anne and Cosmos who also brought fresh passion juice and a hot towel (great for wiping the accumulated dust off my face after coming off an Overland Trip!) and given the safety tips for when out on the terrace around the giraffe.
As there were 2 available rooms, I was given the option between 2 either Daisy's Room (with ensuite) or the other with a bath and separate ensuite. What hotel gives you the option of rooms?! - I was already loving it!
As I was heading out for dinner with some friends, we got the first rain of the year (a blessing but it was pelting down!), Cosmos wouldn't let me leave without escorting me to my taxi with an umbrella and giving me one to take with me so I didn't get wet on return. It showed just how personal the service really was.
The only bad aspect was that in the mornings, I couldn't get the ht water working in the shower, I have a feeling it was me but if I hadn't become used to it, the staff would have been able to help I'm sure (even by putting on the electric water heater but I didn't see that as necessary...)
Another wonderful aspect of the stay was the fact that I (and my friends who weren't even staying at the Manor but dropped in to see my ever-talked about room before we headed out for the day) was able to get advice on where to go, how to get there and little tips and advice. It was very much appreciated.
I'd recommend having dinner with Mari-anne and Rudi during your stay, they have some wonderful stories to tell (just don't let Rudi know if you've seen a honey badger, he'll get very jealous, haha!) and the food is amazing. Dietary requirements are no problem at all either, just give them the heads up before hand.
And the reason everyone stays at Giraffe Manor - the giraffe! How wonderful, this alone is worth paying the money for! Kelly and I became very attached as I saw her every few hours including feeding her 3 times in 1 day as well as a few other times. Little DaisyIII is great to watch run around the paddock in the afternoon too. I hope all goes well for Adele's baby due in a few months (Jock's last) so you might be lucky enough to see that if you're there at the right time as she is very comfortable around the Manor.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2009

Oh, how I loved Giraffe Manor! We were transported back in time, to 1930s Africa in a beautiful stone mansion. Marianne & Rudy are gracious and kind hosts. We felt like house guests. The staff is wonderful, 3 African men who are very attentive. The food is a gourmet’s delight. And our room was lovely – Jock’s Room, a spacious corner room facing the front lawn, with large private bath.

We got in late, close to midnight. Rudy was still awake to welcome us. The staff prepared a wonderful homemade tomato soup, with homemade croutons (I can still taste it). And graciously brought cold cuts and hot tea, too. The next morning, they were up to give us a private early breakfast, since we were leaving on a plane for the Mara. I fed Barney the giraffe from the broad windows in the lovely breakfast room – so exciting!

Then we came back a week later, to stay for about ¾ of a day before our plane departed. There are small buckets (and a great big one) of food pellets for the giraffes, who were lazily standing in the front yard, chewing on agave plants. The two comical warthogs were chasing each other. I put on a vintage 1930’s dress & shoes I’d brought especially to take pictures here (so glad I did). My giraffe friend Barney gave me kisses, when I held a pellet of food in my mouth! And happily ate from my hand.

Lunch was serene & delicious on the beautifully landscaped outdoor terrace, with friendly and interesting guests at other tables – from England, San Francisco and Laguna Beach. Rudy announced places to go sightseeing, and drove a van to take whoever wanted.

We went to the nearby Sheldrick Baby Elephant & Rhino Orphanage (we had our own car & driver). I will never forget the feeling of my adopted baby elephant, Mawenzi, sucking on my finger! The elephants are so cute, only waist high. Adoptive "parents" from all over the world were there. We adopted an adorable baby rhino, Shida (you can't touch the few rhino's). Only $50 USD per year to adopt any one, we did it online, so got to visit the Orphanage at a special time.

Later at Giraffe Manor, everyone gathered for cocktails by one of the massive fireplaces, followed by a sit-down dinner with silver and crystal. We missed that last bit, since we had to catch another plane, so were given another private gourmet dinner.

We will definitely return anytime we fly to Nairobi. Next time, we will stay for more than one full day, so we can enjoy the rhythm of Giraffe Manor along with everyone else.

An absolute joy!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Giraffe Manor? Share your experiences!