“So glad we ignored the Kenya Travel Warning!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Giraffe Manor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Giraffe Manor
You added Giraffe Manor to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Langata Rd, Langata, Nairobi, Kenya   |
Ranked #1 of 107 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
San Luis Obispo, CA
“So glad we ignored the Kenya Travel Warning!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I can't tell you how close we were to canceling our Kenya trip after the Nairobi market bombings. But we decided to continue our trip with our 5 kids ranging from 4-21 anyways. We are so glad we did! Giraffe Manor is on the outskirts of Nairobi in a more suburban area of Karen, so after a hour long taxi ride, we were pleased to be out of the chaotic part of the city. The manor is beautiful and well-maintained. We had a room in the original house and also in the new addition (you would never know it was brand new- they did an amazing job of recreating the original feel) The staff was so friendly and helpful. The food was excellent and plentiful. Even our sometimes-picky 4 year old loved it. But one of the best things about our stay was how safe and at home we felt. We didn't even lock our rooms!! .....and, of course, you can't forget the giraffes and the funny warthogs. What an experience! We loved our time at Giraffe Manor.

The only "complaint" I would have is the toilets. They were really difficult to flush. I'm sure housekeeping would agree :)

• Stayed June 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

We included 2 nights at GM as part of my 60 th birthday celebration. Collected on time from our Nairobi Hotel by George from GM we arrived 20 minutes later to one of the friendliest welcomes imaginable. We had booked 'Betty', the original bedroom and bathroom from the 1930's and just loved it. Our very nice Lunch was served in the garden by very attentive wait staff with drinks. Early in the afternoon it was Giraffe show time! What a performance. What these beautiful calm animals shared with us is unforgettable . Dinner at 7.30 was served in the formal dining room with 8 other guests. Most enjoyable night. If you prefer to do you own thing they are more than happy to find a table just for you. The next morning we awoke around 6.30 am to a hot cup of coffee (our specified time) delivered to our room, followed by hand feeding at least 2 Giraffes from our first floor bedroom window. What a start to my Birthday! After the absolutely unique breakfast with 7 Giraffes we ventured to the Giraffe Centre, a 50 metre walk from GM with free entry for guests. A very informative talk followed with a nature walk tour. After lunch I retired for a short siesta whilst my wife decided to visit Karen Blixen Museum and the Kazuri hand made bead factory by escorted GM driver Peter.I had requested a dinner table for 4 to celebrate with friends.To my surprise they gave us the sole use of the huge dining room complete with candles , fresh roses and of course lovely food and wines. After we had finished dinner in came at least 7 staff , one wearing a giraffes mask ( thanks Mr Brown ) singing the 'Giraffe Song' and presenting me with a home made ( all food is home made at GM ) chocolate cake with birthday greetings. A very nice touch. We sadly left the next morning after one of the best experiences and everlasting memories. Giraffe Manor is expensive , yes , however you get what you pay for. Just do it!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

I am sure Giraffe Manor needs no more rave reviews...but I have to stress that if you have the opportunity to stay at this majestic old lady then grab it! Ofcourse the giraffes are the highlight of your stay and will not disappoint but the house is charming and the staff very attentive. Had a comfy room and lovely big bath and despite arriving late in the evening, the team couldn't have been more accommodating. Worth going to Nairobi just for this experience. Will be back with children in the future.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

Most people see the price of this place and say 'forget it'! but you simply have to stay here. How could you possibly go to Nairobi and not stay here???
We only booked 1 night as we had a very limited time in Kenya as it was but I was not going to miss this. We arrived late afternoon and the staff immediately called the Giraffes over so we would not miss a second of activity. We got to hand feed the giraffes and even mouth feed Lyn and Jock. They surprisingly do not have bad breath at all. Be brave and do it.
They showed us to our rooms in the mini manor around the side. It's much newer than the main building but doesnt look much different. We had booked 2 rooms but as they had no other guests they gave us 3 rooms (1 each).
They were huge and decorated beautifully as if we were right back when the manor was built.I especially loved the rain showers in the bathrooms.
We had dinner with the other manor guests (I believe we were there the same night as seagullrob) and the staff were just so lovely. They are so welcoming and no request is too difficult. We were being picked up quite early the next morning so they took all the information down and made sure we were awake and down for early breakfast with the giraffes.
The food was absolutely delicious and there was plenty of it.Drinks too.I couldnt have asked for a more perfect start to my Kenya Safari.

Room Tip: Try to get one in the main manor. We were in the mini manor and the giraffes didnt come to our windo...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Brisbane, Queensland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

I have stayed at Giraffe Manor twice before, variously with my sons, one of their girlfriends, and my nephew, but this 2014 visit was with my wife, at last. She has heard all the terrific reports from the kids and me about Giraffe Manor, and read my previous TripAdvisor reviews, so was looking forward to going. Her Mum came too.
Since I was last here in 2012, there have been a few changes. The new building has been constructed, but it's in keeping with the original 1930's house - very well done, in fact. There's a gift shop and spa, as well as a new manager, Steve, and some new staff, like William. Many of the staff have been there for years, though. There are new giraffes, too, and some sad departures of other giraffes from various causes. Lynn, the most friendly of the giraffes (who will give you "giraffe kisses") is still there, and her latest baby, Jock, is growing up in her vein, and will already take pellets from between your lips.
This time we were in Betty's room; previously I'd been in Jock's room. It was great - a front corner room in the original house with access to a rooftop balcony (from which you can see Mt Kilimanjaro on a clear day), and ensuite with shower over the bath. Improvements since I was last here include more reliable water pressure to the shower and more consistent wifi. My wife and mother-in-law tried the spa treatments and spoke highly of it.
Whilst there, we visited the David Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage using Giraffe Manor's free shuttle, and adopted a new baby elephant orphan for US$50.00. The shuttle also collected us from a Nairobi Hotel and dropped us off at the airport.
Pretty much everything is included, and the staff were on-hand all the time to press drinks into your hand. Terrific dinners are held with the other guests in the main dining room.
The giraffes are, of course, the main attraction, and they never disappoint. The resident warthogs are fun to watch too. There's nothing better than sitting out the front with a cup of tea or a gin & tonic, reading and watching the giraffes and warthogs, though I warn you, you'll end up putting the book down and feeding the giraffes. They will eat constantly - as long as you feed them, they will eat.
We had a camera crew and presenter Griff Rhys Jones ("Not the Nine O'Clock News") there filming a TV documentary about travelling Africa by train, so we will be interested to see when that screens.
Don't do what one couple did when we were there, and book only one night. Their plane was late getting in, and they arrived after dark. In the morning, their transfer turned up very early, and they only had about 15 minutes with the giraffes at breakfast. You need at least 2 nights here - I usually go for 3.
Staying at Giraffe Manor is an expensive proposition, no doubt, but it is an extraordinary experience in lovely surrounds. The fact that I've saved up and been three times speaks volumes. Trouble is - now my wife wants to go back again!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

The manor was old style charm, was cosy and very comfortable. The dining was of the highest level, and the service faultless. Having the most beautiful giraffes eating from your hand, and joining you for breakfast is what stamps this as a must stop. Paul from Australia

• Stayed April 2014
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

Our family of four stayed for 3 nights at The Giraffe Manor in January 2014. We had researched the property and were very excited, as we love giraffes. We were absolutely amazed with the service, the property, the food, and the rooms. We were treated like royalty the entire stay. The staff knew we wanted to interact with the giraffes as much as we could, so they would come find us! Even early in the morning! The meals were wonderful, and we especially liked sitting at the big table visiting with people around the world. We loved the staff there---they seemed to genuinely love their jobs, and went out of the way to make us welcome. On our last night our adult son became very ill. I called for assistance very early--at about 5am, and the manager, Steve, came to help. He called for a driver and escorted us to the hospital clinic. He stayed with us the entire time. He even made arrangement for my husband and daughter to pack up and meet us at the clinic so we could make our flight. He called their sister property, Solio Lodge, to let them know one of our party was ill so they would anticipate our needs. He even made arrangements with the travel company to hold our flight for 15 minutes in case we were late getting to the airport. We will absolutely return for another visit to Giraffe Manor---They have won us over completely.

Room Tip: Stay at least 3 nights so you get to see everything and still relax a little! There was a room abov...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Been to Giraffe Manor? Share your experiences!