“Giraffe Manor. A Real Find” 5 of 5 stars

Giraffe Manor
5.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Langata Rd, Langata, Nairobi, Kenya   |
Ranked #1 of 123 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Giraffe Manor. A Real Find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

We started our 7 week trip to Africa with a 2 day stay at Giraffe Manor. It turned out to be the highlight of our trip. We stayed in the Daisy room which was very comfortable and had a large balcony where we had coffee the first morning. As we were drinking our coffee, Lynn, the giraffe, stuck her head over our balcony railing wanting food. Needless to say we were hooked. After feeding her, we dressed and went downstairs to the dining room to find several other giraffes sticking their heads through the windows and being fed by other guests. During the two days we were there we fed, hugged the giraffes and even got a kiss from Ed, the giraffe. The ever present warthogs were equally fun to watch. This place is great for people who like to see the animals up close an personal. We really hated to leave. Also the food was excellent and location was great for touring near Nairobi

Room Tip: The Daisy room was great
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

We stayed for one night at Giraffe Manor in the new house behind the main building. We were a party of ten and we all absolutely loved it. To be woken by giraffes stretching their beautiful necks up to your bedroom to be fed will never be forgotten. To have breakfast with giraffes leaning in to share your croissants was absolutely extraordinary. If you are in Nairobi - please stay here for a night and if you have children, then they will never forget the experience for the rest of their lives.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Swindon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

I recently stayed here for one night with my mother following 8 days of 'roughing it' through the Ugandan Jungle. From the moment we were picked up from the airport to the moment we left the next day, we were treated to absolute luxury.

We were greeted by Giles on arrival and shown around the amazing grounds. We were lucky to have the Daisy Room, which had an beautiful balcony where we could feed the giraffes.

The meals we had were 5* quality throughout the stay, and they catered to all dietary needs. If you get the chance make sure you try the fresh baked cookies, a perfect afternoon treat.

The main event is obviously the Giraffes! It wasn't a let down. We got to spend so much time getting giraffe kisses, hugging giraffes, feeding the giraffes and sharing breakfast with them. I could seriously of stayed here a week and not got bored of it.

In summary a fantastic venue offering a unique experience, highly attentive and friendly staff, top quality food and luxury accommodation. I highly recommend this venue and hope to be lucky enough to return one day.

Room Tip: Daisy - fantastic balcony
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
St. Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

To say this place is pretty good would be a huge understatement!

From our arrival straight from the airport to when we left the following afternoon everything was excellent.

We got the early bird package as we came straight from the airport and arrived as the other guests were checking out. Our room wasn't ready but we just sent straight through for breakfast whilst the manager told us about the manor, and the rules of engagement for the giraffes. Just as we were ordering breakfast the first giraffe turned up which distracted proceedings but in a good way! After we had had a few minutes of feeding we turned to our own food whilst one of the staff kept the giraffe entertained. First was fresh fruit and pastries followed by a cooked breakfast. The scrambled eggs were well cooked and the bacon was nice and crispy.

After breakfast and some more giraffe feeding we headed up to our room for a shower and a bit of a rest. We were in Betty's room which has a great four poster and a balcony to watch the giraffes from. By this time they were over at the centre which you could see a few hundred metres away.

We sat outside on one of the sofas and had a couple of soft drinks before lunch was served. By now a few more guests had arrived and we ate out on the terrace. We had a nice pea and mint soup (although it was purposely served cold and I think it would have been better hot) which came with a nice parmesan tuile). Main was some nicely cooked fish with rice.

In the afternoon we went over to the giraffe centre which was interesting enough, but there's probably no real need to go if you're staying at the manor.

Pre-dinner drinks started on the front terrace with some of the other guests, lots of people had already been on safari so it was good to hear about the experiences we were about to have. Everyone was nice and friendly and the staff kept the drinks flowing. Once the giraffe centre was closed to the public some of the giraffes wandered over and the staff were quick to fetch some food so we could feed them.

Dinner was served in the dining room where everyone sat round one big table, conversation and wine flowed and the food was pretty good too. Main course was red wine poached fillet of beef which was very tender.

At breakfast the next morning there were lots of giraffes around and we were taking shifts to feed them and keep them busy whilst the others ate their own breakfast. At one point there were probably 4 giraffes at the windows of the breakfast room, great fun.

The staff were excellent the whole time, offering to take photos etc as well as doing the usual food and drink service.

Wifi was a bit patchy, but worked ok in the lounge, not that fast, but this is Kenya.

It now holds our record for most expensive hotel ever stayed in, but I would definitely go back!

Room Tip: From Betty's room you can feed the giraffes in the morning.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

I don't know the number 1 hotel but am not sure how they beat this.
The experience with the Giraffes and Warthogs is incredible but what really sets this place apart are the staff. The staff cater to ever need, hot water bottles in your bed, open bar they actively encourage you to use, comfortable lounge areas with a fire, fantastic food and incredible buildings, the list goes on.
My children 9 and 15 were had a magical 2 days and as jaded travellers my husband and I were blown away. It was a brilliant way to start our Kenyan holiday even with Jet lag.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
South Bend, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Don't go to Giraffe Manor unless you want to be so spoiled that no other lodging experience can come close. I am a single female traveler and I felt as if I were their one and only guest. Not true since they were fully booked. I had concerns that I would have this experience but couldn't document my interaction with the giraffes and warthogs since I had no one with me to take photos. I was so wrong!! I think the entire staff knows how to use every camera made and are eager to take your photos. I cannot say enough great things about my stay. There was not one single time that a staff member would pass by without asking if they could do anything for me. My every wish was eagerly fulfilled. From building the most aromatic olive wood fire to bringing desert to my room, it was magical. The Manager on Duty, Tony asked why I was not smiling as big as I was the day before. I told him that I had a little nose bleed. He then proceeded to tell my driver to look out for me and not let me get too fatigued. I felt that he really cared. My only regret is that I did not leave enough tip money for the service I received. My travel agency said they paid my gratuity but whatever that would have been, it wouldn't have been enough.

Room Tip: I stayed in Kelly's room. It was set up with three beds. The single that I requested was taken...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Such a magical place, so special and unique. Only 10 rooms, the Giraffe Manor is like staying in someone's country manor. The grounds are beautiful, with giraffes and warthogs roaming freely. They even get "up close and personal" to the guests at breakfast time each day. If you visit you'll know what I mean. The staff couldn't be more accommodating and the food is excellent. There's wifi throughout. The Giraffe Center, adjacent to the Manor, is free to enter when a guest of the Manor. Located in Karen, far from the pollution and congestion of Nairobi's city center, it's also near several places of interest like the Karen Blixen Museum, Kazuri Bead Factory, Daphne Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage, and Matbronze. Don't go for less than two nights or you'll never forgive yourself!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Giraffe Manor? Share your experiences!